Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2024, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 9,236 times

Advertisements

We're from out of state and looking to buy land about an hour south of Morgantown and wanted to speak to a local attorney about our plans before making an offer. Can anyone recommend an attorney that has experience in 20+ acre land purchases? Also, on that subject... what questions should we be asking? Our plan is to buy the land now and in a few years build a house and move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2024, 03:02 PM

65 posts, read 66,151 times
Why not just use an agent!

Old 06-05-2024, 03:20 PM

933 posts, read 841,746 times
An hour south of Morgantown is extremely vague to suggest a local real estate attorney, you are probably significantly closer to Bridgeport or Parkersburg.

Old 06-05-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfinamo View Post
Why not just use an agent!
We are primarily dealing with the seller's agent, but I wanted to speak to a local real estate attorney. The property in question is near grafton.

Old 06-05-2024, 08:32 PM

134 posts, read 179,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterix View Post
We are primarily dealing with the seller's agent, but I wanted to speak to a local real estate attorney. The property in question is near grafton.
The sellers agent represents the seller and is legally bound to the sellers best interest. More than likely if you enter into a transaction unrepresented, the sellers agent will be collecting the total listing fee. That's fine if they are facilitating both sides of the transaction, but for the reason alone you might as well be represented. Most of the time you'll have access to a real estate attorney through your buyers agent anyway.

Old 06-05-2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterTherapy View Post
The sellers agent represents the seller and is legally bound to the sellers best interest. More than likely if you enter into a transaction unrepresented, the sellers agent will be collecting the total listing fee. That's fine if they are facilitating both sides of the transaction, but for the reason alone you might as well be represented. Most of the time you'll have access to a real estate attorney through your buyers agent anyway.
I completely understand that. Since we are buying a specific plot of land, I was perfectly fine with using the seller's realtor, except I wanted an unbiased attorney to go over several aspects with. We may actually use this realtor to show us other properties if we don't make an offer on this one. That was my thought process anyways. When I bought my current house I already had a lawyer to facilitate the purchase and didn't use our realtors suggestion. I was just hoping to find someone that had more experience with larger land purchases without having to find a realtor. I also didn't want to cold call attorneys if I could get a recommendation first.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

19,994 posts, read 22,922,360 times
Quote:
I completely understand that. Since we are buying a specific plot of land, I was perfectly fine with using the seller's realtor, except I wanted an unbiased attorney to go over several aspects with. We may actually use this realtor to show us other properties if we don't make an offer on this one. That was my thought process anyways. When I bought my current house I already had a lawyer to facilitate the purchase and didn't use our realtors suggestion. I was just hoping to find someone that had more experience with larger land purchases without having to find a realtor. I also didn't want to cold call attorneys if I could get a recommendation first.
Call a local bank, Citizens Ntl Bank in Elkins is one I had familiarity with. I used to work some deals with them 15 years ago. The guy I worked with is still there and he is a straight shooter.

BTW- 20 acres around Grafton isn't really a 'large' real estate transaction.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Call a local bank, Citizens Ntl Bank in Elkins is one I had familiarity with. I used to work some deals with them 15 years ago. The guy I worked with is still there and he is a straight shooter.

BTW- 20 acres around Grafton isn't really a 'large' real estate transaction.
By large I just meant that it wasn't a residential house lot and I'm more concerned with mineral rights, timber rights, and all the other things that generally don't concern a quarter acre plot in a neighborhood. Thanks for the recommendation about calling a bank though. I'll give that a shot!

Old Today, 07:54 PM

19,994 posts, read 22,922,360 times
Quote:
By large I just meant that it wasn't a residential house lot and I'm more concerned with mineral rights, timber rights, and all the other things that generally don't concern a quarter acre plot in a neighborhood. Thanks for the recommendation about calling a bank though. I'll give that a shot!
Good luck they don’t normally convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown