Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2024, 03:35 PM

61,808 posts, read 87,269,132 times

Advertisements

Cameron Clifford, a 36-year-old dentist, bought a female octopus for his octopus obsessed son Cal's ninth birthday.
The octopus arrived larger than expected ended up hatching a total of 50 babies.
The family had to arrange 50 separated homes for the unexpected offspring, spend thousands of dollars on clams, crabs, and snails, not to mention the costs to repair the damage to the house from spilled water and a small electrical fire.
The family spent more than $3000 on food supplies and water damage repairs.
Do not get a pet octopus unless you're ready to lose sleep and your kids' college fund simultaneously, he told USAToday, jokingly.
The experience is overall joyful and rewarding as he said: 'It's been an absolutely fun experience, not just for me, but also for my kids.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...s/73294427007/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 06:02 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,554,457 times
Absolutely not. Let's leave the wild things in the wild, not the house.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:55 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
It would certainly take an expensive fish tank set-up to support an octopus.

They are supposed to be really intelligent so it might be interesting to see if communication could be set up.

They are also delicious so when an octopus enters my house it is to join me for dinner.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:58 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,316,278 times
There are multiple reports of amazing human & octopus interactions in the wild.

Here is a discussion of their intelligence.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...of-an-octopus/

A friendship.

https://www.happynass.net/post/octop...ip-with-humans

Old 04-16-2024, 02:27 PM

1,956 posts, read 929,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
bought a female octopus for his octopus obsessed son

I will never understand parents that give their children so much power.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:54 PM

12,511 posts, read 9,595,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Absolutely not. Let's leave the wild things in the wild, not the house.
Agreed, I am not a fan of all these pet shops selling all manner of wildlife and invasive species to anyone with a few dollars. Problems often ensue. Florida for example, now has Boa Constrictors, Rock Pythons and Burmese Pythons, Green Iguanas, Nile Monitors, Cane Toads, Lionfish, Vervets, etc breeding in the wild and competing for food and/or killing their native wildlife. They have so far had very little success in trying to control these populations introduced by their residents.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-17-2024 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 02:16 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It would certainly take an expensive fish tank set-up to support an octopus.

They are supposed to be really intelligent so it might be interesting to see if communication could be set up.

They are also delicious so when an octopus enters my house it is to join me for dinner.
I've read a number of stories about their intelligence.

I used to volunteer and compile research data behind the scenes for a marine aquarium that kept one or two smaller octopi in a specially-designed, open-topped display habitat in the visitor center. Most if not all of the aquarium's display animals were native to the surrounding area, not exotic imports. Including the octopus. If you were quiet and gentle, you could coax the current display resident to come investigate your hand. They're quite shy. It was quite a thrill to be checked out by such an amazing creature. I remember "greeting" the octopus during my shifts.

The main problem with that display was that the octopus eventually discovered how easy it was to escape and roam the room...and find the shallow, intertidal surge pool provided for kids to explore starfish and live mollusks such as clams or abalone. Octopus love to eat those. Once the octopus figured things out, no keeping it where it belonged. Every morning we'd come in only to find a wet trail across the floor between the octopus tank and the surge pool as well as the remains of last night's dinner. The "educated" individual had to be released back to the wild and a "novice" found to replace it. Eventually the local population of octopi were all too familiar with the process. The amount of time it took a new tenant to escape from the display dropped because they were actually re-captures! Free dinners and relative safety were worth exchanging for time in human hands.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-17-2024 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 02:35 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,934,471 times
Good thing I don't have money I'd have a Zoo.
I love critters of all kinds.

Old Today, 10:57 AM

2 posts
Wow, what a story! It sounds like fantasy

Old Today, 11:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 13 days ago)

35,647 posts, read 18,006,664 times
I just finished reading Remarkably Bright Creatures. I can see how someone would want one. So interesting and smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature