Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS43 View Post
IMO, a large non-white population does not make a town bad...
YOu got that right - just look at Tokyo, Beijing, or somesuch. Crime rates WAY WAY below anything here in comparable cities in the USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 PM

88 posts, read 536,112 times
I don't know, it just may be me but I don't find the city of Orange to be all that bad.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:36 AM

46 posts, read 166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY201973 View Post
I don't know, it just may be me but I don't find the city of Orange to be all that bad.
I agree...When I moved to West Orange I heard to stay away from Orange at all costs. We did for the first few months, but then started venturing out. There are some "rough sections" in Orange, but overall the town really gets a bad rap. It's not nearly as bad as most would have you believe.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:44 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,314,110 times
Default Thoughts on Orange ... sparing the racial debate

Yes, I know the City of Orange. Racially, it residents are predominantly black, but it has a growing Hispanic population, especially west of High Street and Scotland Road. (And in these posts, I wish we could move past the arguing back and forth between the sorry white-flight [implied black-is-bad] posts as well as the hyper-defensive retorts. It's old and solves nothing.)

Fact is, crime is high in Orange, but not as high as some other urban towns. Even in Seven Oaks, crime is high. If you can accept that risk, Seven Oaks is otherwise lovely and reasonably priced.

Fact is, politics are corrupt, but 1) there's a serious effort to fix this, and 2) it does not pervade the entire municipal government.

Fact is, the commute to New York is a breeze.
Fact is, shopping is easy.
Fact is, sales tax is cheap.

I spent many years working in Orange from the mid-80s until the turn of the millenium. My personal experience was that it is the great neutral zone. Sandwiched between East Orange, South Orange, West Orange, Montclair, and Glen Ridge, it has attributes of all -- some good, some bad.

Yes, there are pockets of development. Some of that development is happening hand-in-hand with efforts to clean out the infestation of crime. The Park Street area between Main Street and Park Ave has been a focal point for this clean-up. William Street is not the death zone it once was.

Also, things are looking a lot better since the Superfund clean-up of the Alden Street area.

Orange has experienced a lot of urban decay. A "comeback" will not be easy. That said, I'd put my money there before many other NJ Urban towns ... even some of its neighbors.

My three cents.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,430 times
Ill take Jersey City over the Oranges..and thats saying alot..

Old 05-11-2008, 06:11 PM

110 posts, read 548,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Oh my goodness. What is this crap?

So once again we should feel sorry for the poor lil Italians, Irish, Germans and Jews from many different European nations because a black, hispanic or mexican moved into the town and you all had to run away? There goes the neighborhood.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to his post. Orange used to be a solid, blue collar community with many different European-American ethnic groups. After the construction of 280 and the Newark riots and the criminal element moving in, those groups mostly were pushed out of Orange. I think the Greek commuity still has the church of Sts. Helen and Constantine, but most of the other ethnics have left or are very old.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 PM

110 posts, read 548,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
After reading all these posts bashing the OP I had to go back and reread what I read. No where did I see the OP blame blacks or any other group for any specific problems.

The fact is Orange is a dump. Has been for the past 40 years. Today you need an Elephant rifle just to walk to your mailbox for protection. You can look at a Hagstrom map and the streets are so jamb packed that there is a number legend rather then naming the streets. All those people live shoulder to shoulder like caged animals. Does anyone expect peace under those conditions?

The fact that so many many immigrants landed in that general area in no way made this the crime infested area it now is. So why then is it? Again, the OP blamed no one.

Sheesh !!!!!
Who would defend that dump? Must be the Mayor and his cronies.
I'm acquainted with a Colombian man from jersey city who used to live in Orange. Straight up, he said he preferred Jersey City to Orange because he didn't like living with so many Blacks. Yes, he was the victim of crime. Talk about profiling: the new thing among 'brothers' is to target Hispanic men to rob, as a lot of them carry cash, as they don't always have bank accounts.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignorance View Post
This iwhat happens when you oppress people they get fed up and take it out in the communities.

There is no excuse for hate crimes...period

Old 05-18-2008, 08:41 AM

56 posts, read 209,793 times
Thanks everyone,

Thanks to the economy we decided to stay put. We will not be moving to Orange or anywhere else until the housing market improves.

D

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

37 posts, read 141,428 times
Default Orange

I wouldn't move to Orange for all the Oranges in..Orange.

Maybe they should rename the town "Black"

Crime, gangs, drugs, stolen autos, gunfire, killings....just where I'd wanna raise ANY family. But I guess its whiteys fault that the town wound up the way it is today. Just like every other "white flight" city in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey