Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 967 times

Advertisements

[url]https://www.njtransit.com/shore[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2024, 11:21 AM

652 posts, read 783,585 times
Why not drive ?

Old 05-29-2024, 01:32 PM

51,309 posts, read 36,950,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Why not drive ?
Traffic, parking. It’s like $35 to park in OC now on weekends. I rarely go because sitting in bumper to bumper traffic makes me insane.

Same reason I’ve taken busses when I go to NY. It’s much cheaper than driving too.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 967 times
Driving is still a little more expensive, but not by much. The 40% discount for NJT is only for weekdays in the summer, AND you can only use the discount code once per month. I know starting in July, with the 15% fare increase, the reg round trip price to the shore towns from Newark Penn will be around $28.

Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlover374 View Post
Driving is still a little more expensive, but not by much. The 40% discount for NJT is only for weekdays in the summer, AND you can only use the discount code once per month. I know starting in July, with the 15% fare increase, the reg round trip price to the shore towns from Newark Penn will be around $28.
It’s a lot more expensive because of gas, tolls, and especially paying to park.

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 967 times
I still remember as a teenager, it was only $9.75 Round trip from Linden to Pt Pleasant.

Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

186 posts, read 145,236 times
Can we pay any of you to stay home?

Old Today, 09:55 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,114,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s a lot more expensive because of gas, tolls, and especially paying to park.
In addition to expenses, you also have heat, crawling traffic, annoyed, complaining, car sick kids and stressed out adults. And once you finally get to the beach, there is no shade anywhere, it is crowded, the water might be either too cold or Life Guards just decide to ban swimming because they don't feel like working. Our kids are both excellent swimmers that have been on swim teams... Going to the beach and not being able to swim is an alien concept for them. Given all of these "pleasures" of NJ beaches, we went once in the last ten years and will probably not go again during the summer. And when we compared notes with friends, they told us that we have to leave Bergen county by 7:00 am to avoid the worst of traffic. That is earlier than we leave to work, totally insane

Instead, we scraped up some money and bought a run down bungalow in the Hudson Valley Region of NYS. The community has access to the beautiful, spring fed lake with a wooded private beach. There is no Life Guard after Covid, it is much less crowded than NJ beaches and the traffic getting there is not bad as we generally drive against traffic. When we go there, we usually leave around 12:00 pm on Saturday.

The weekend we spend there are usually relaxing and stress free, unlike going to NJ beaches.

Old Today, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
In addition to expenses, you also have heat, crawling traffic, annoyed, complaining, car sick kids and stressed out adults. And once you finally get to the beach, there is no shade anywhere, it is crowded, the water might be either too cold or Life Guards just decide to ban swimming because they don't feel like working. Our kids are both excellent swimmers that have been on swim teams... Going to the beach and not being able to swim is an alien concept for them. Given all of these "pleasures" of NJ beaches, we went once in the last ten years and will probably not go again during the summer. And when we compared notes with friends, they told us that we have to leave Bergen county by 7:00 am to avoid the worst of traffic. That is earlier than we leave to work, totally insane

Instead, we scraped up some money and bought a run down bungalow in the Hudson Valley Region of NYS. The community has access to the beautiful, spring fed lake with a wooded private beach. There is no Life Guard after Covid, it is much less crowded than NJ beaches and the traffic getting there is not bad as we generally drive against traffic. When we go there, we usually leave around 12:00 pm on Saturday.

The weekend we spend there are usually relaxing and stress free, unlike going to NJ beaches.

September is the best month to go. Still warm days and the ocean is usually nice and warm, too. In Ocean City anyway, everything on the boards is still open.

I have to defend the lifeguards, as they don't ban swimming because they don't "feel like working". It is the authorities that occasionally ban swimming or ban going in past your knees, if there's a strong rip current. You can be an excellent swimmer and still drown. Several years ago, a Delaware lifeguard drowned in Ocean City when he went surfing when there were strong rip currents.

Myself, I'm a decent swimmer and had a near drowning about 15 years ago. I would never swim on an unguarded beach now.

Old Today, 03:19 PM

88,889 posts, read 85,398,091 times
It's not even the cost. It's the traffic. Friday of Memorial Day weekend, a couple of friends and I thought about going to see an old band we like in Point. Then we thought about it, said are we nuts? laughed, and hung out in her backyard for the evening listening to music.

She lives in Brick, half an hour down the Parkway from me on a normal day. It took 50 minutes, and that was late afternoon. I got off at 89, just after the sign saying the traffic was backed up for the next ten miles.

When my Mom was still living and up in NW Bergen County where I grew up and I had moved to Monmouth County, I told her not to expect to see me on summer weekends.

Take the train and relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: