Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,592 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Like many, I visited NM and fell in love. I found property I like near Coyote, but obviously it is very isolated. I checked out the Taos area, since I know it isn’t quite as isolated, but didn’t feel it. What are thoughts on a single woman relocating to this area and commuting to Santa Fe or Las Alamos for work? I want to do this, but I also don’t tend to jump blind into things. Are there forums or resources dedicated to women living alone in NM? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 04:58 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Are you asking about the Coyote that is west of Abiquiu on NM96? My estimation is that would commuting to Los Alamos or Santa Fe would be near impossible in the winter because that are gets a lot of snow. During clear weather, you'd be looking at 1 1/2-2 hours each way.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:47 PM

79 posts, read 51,096 times
I used to drive NM96 once in a while to get to Abiquiu dam where we had some construction work ongoing. That is not a high speed highway as it has cows and curves. And my impression of those little towns along NM 96 it they are kind of clannish and not really welcoming to outsiders.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM

Yes, that’s the Coyote I’m referring to. I was staying in Abiquiu and it took me about an hour to get to Santa Fe. I was wondering about winters. Online I haven’t found a lot of information on how long the snow stays. I saw the average is 22”, but nothing more. Clannish would seem appropriate for such a low population in a remote area.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:03 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
How long have you been looking for rural properties in NM? Have you looked anywhere other than Taos or Coyote? Have you lived in remote areas before? Without knowing more about your history and needs it's hard to know whether this is a romantic fantasy or something more realistic. Many of us have had those fantasies but found them to be impractical with time. You might find something you like that is closer to work while still with a remote feel if that's what you want. What type of work will you be doing?

Old 09-23-2019, 12:08 AM

Hello aries63, I have only been considering NM seriously for the past couple of months. I planned the trip and then was out there for a week to look into areas. I have wanted to move to Santa Fe for quite some time, but it wasn’t realistic. I switched professions to social work a couple of years back and it is quite transferable as jobs come. As far as where I looked, I drove all over the northern part of the state from Taos to Aztec, but stayed mostly in the north central region. I grew up living in state forests in Missouri, so I am comfortable living in remote areas. Obviously, the areas I visited on my trip to NM were far more remote than anything the Midwest can offer. I also spent about 3 months living in Alaska about 20 years ago. I live in a small rural Indiana town now, and prefer the country life and plenty of solitude, with human interaction being primarily set to work hours and select social interactions, which tend to come down more to volunteering than social events. I don’t know if this is realistic, which is why I’m reaching out to get opinions from others. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2019, 11:24 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeckne View Post
Yes, that’s the Coyote I’m referring to. I was staying in Abiquiu and it took me about an hour to get to Santa Fe. I was wondering about winters. Online I haven’t found a lot of information on how long the snow stays. I saw the average is 22”, but nothing more. Clannish would seem appropriate for such a low population in a remote area.
I think an hour from Abiquiu to Santa Fe would be a best-case scenario. Espanola and the areas around can get pretty congested at times, often unexpectedly. And there are several stretches along the road between Coyote and Santa that get a fair amount of snow in winter and are prone to closure. It is not a drive I'd want to have to rely on for my daily year-round commute.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:15 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
I would say move out and rent a place to see whether you like doing social work in the Santa Fe-Los Alamos area if that's where you want to work, before you commit to a property in a place like Coyote. If you find a job that you like and that is secure, then you can start to think about a more permanent place to live. Have you considered the Jemez Mountain School district that includes Coyote, Gallina, Lybrook, Youngsville, etc.? I once considered applying for a job there but it's just too isolated for me.

Old 12-21-2023, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,922 times
How did your plan come out? I too am wondering about small town NM safety for a woman. (I'm going to start another thread to pursue that.) I love cabin living, but not having a neighbor within shouting distance worries me when living alone. That's my plan tho
So if you still visit city-data, would love an update!
Wishing you the best,
carrielee2112

Old 12-22-2023, 07:51 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeckne View Post
Hi all, Like many, I visited NM and fell in love. I found property I like near Coyote, but obviously it is very isolated. I checked out the Taos area, since I know it isn’t quite as isolated, but didn’t feel it. What are thoughts on a single woman relocating to this area and commuting to Santa Fe or Las Alamos for work? I want to do this, but I also don’t tend to jump blind into things. Are there forums or resources dedicated to women living alone in NM? Thanks!
I suggest you get the job first and then move close to it, rather than move then expect to find a job. If you are over 50 I would say don't live in a remote area unless you are very fit. (like yoga for an hour every day fit).

Getting a job is not easy in New Mexico unless you are a PHd in some science area or physics.

And there are a lot nicer places than near Taos to live all over the state but it depends on what type of community you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico