Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 11:41 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times

Advertisements

I moved to ND in 2012 and have now spent an equal amount of time living in both Fargo and Bismarck.

The cons of living here:

Owner occupied housing is expensive for what you get. The housing stock in the starter end of the market in Bismarck is in pretty bad condition for the money. Aw Basement caving in still want $250k and there's plenty of buyers that will jump at it.

People are very tribal, it's all about where you went to high school and college. This doesn't mean people are not friendly.

I have found Fargo and Bismarck to be very noisy. There no shortage of people running around with loud exhausts or no exhaust.

The amount of red light and stop sign runners is crazy in Bismarck. The people here also fall asleep at stop signs and traffic lights. They also can't merge on to an interstate. I've had people damn near stop at the bottom of the ramp.

The dating scene is awful here. It's really a bring your own partner kind of a state.

The pros of living here:

Apartment rentals are really affordable

It's a great state if you want to work. I've been employed with the same company since I've moved here.

Late spring, summer and early fall are really nice

The storms here are awesome.

The cost of energy, vehicle registration, fuel is cheap.

Fargo or Bismarck who wins

Bismarck hands down, Bismarck has better mountain bike trails, a useable river etc.

The verdict:

I'm planning to move back to the west coast within the next year. The driving factors are the cost and condition of owner occupied housing. I also hate winter, some years it been doable, but it's not for me.

I've achieved my financial goals moving to ND years ago. It's been a very rewarding state in terms of a place to build a career.

Last edited by Fargobound; 01-01-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 03:26 AM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Why is the housing pricey in Fargo and Bismarck? I can see Williston, Minot, that oil-country area where a lot of money can be made (or could, at least), but what's driving up demand for central and eastern ND compared to other Midwest states?

Old 01-03-2023, 06:08 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
I think the driving factors of housing market are:

The region is now a healthcare hub for the central part of the state.

The corporate headquarters for MDU Resources a publicly traded company

The corporate headquarters for Basin Electric Energy Coop

The University of Mary

Bismarck State College

The engineering building and one manufacturing plant for Doosan (Bobcat)

I do run into a lot of transplants living here. The housing is cheaper here than California or Texas, but the starter end of the market is pretty much over-priced for what you get.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 824,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I'm planning to move back to the west coast within the next year. The driving factors are the cost and condition of owner occupied housing. I also hate winter, some years it been doable, but it's not for me.
Where do you plan to move on the west coast with lower cost for owner-occupied housing in comparable condition?

Old 01-05-2023, 06:21 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Thank you for sharing. This pretty much covers the bullet points.

I would like to warn outsiders about sheisty landlords. I rented many a dwelling in my life and the landlords here have been the most vile in terms of dishonesty, rule bending and breaking, and out and out nastiness.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:24 PM

705 posts, read 506,126 times
“The dating scene is awful here.”

This is true. Everyone is hooked up. Or women are all looking for the 10% Prince.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
You have been here a very long time. I am also from the West Coast, after moving here back in the 80's.....I honestly do not think I could ever move back to stay....Love to visit. Do you anticipate being home sick for ND?

Old 03-23-2023, 03:17 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Where do you plan to move on the west coast with lower cost for owner-occupied housing in comparable condition?
That's what I was thinking. Housing costs on the West Coast have come down a bit in the last 6 months, but prices are still crazy high.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I think the driving factors of housing market are:

The region is now a healthcare hub for the central part of the state.

The corporate headquarters for MDU Resources a publicly traded company

The corporate headquarters for Basin Electric Energy Coop

The University of Mary

Bismarck State College

The engineering building and one manufacturing plant for Doosan (Bobcat)

I do run into a lot of transplants living here. The housing is cheaper here than California or Texas, but the starter end of the market is pretty much over-priced for what you get.
I don't know about ND, but I do know that a lot of people somehow think the law of supply and demand doesn't apply to housing.

The biggest reason why housing is expensive on the West Coast is because it's extremely expensive or impossible to get new housing built, due to zoning laws and red tape. And people on the West Coast say "It's because it's popular here". That used to be true, but not any more. Population growth in California has been slowing since the 1990s and is now declining.

The biggest factor in high housing costs is the lack of supply.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:22 PM

705 posts, read 506,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't know about ND, but I do know that a lot of people somehow think the law of supply and demand doesn't apply to housing.

The biggest reason why housing is expensive on the West Coast is because it's extremely expensive or impossible to get new housing built, due to zoning laws and red tape. And people on the West Coast say "It's because it's popular here". That used to be true, but not any more. Population growth in California has been slowing since the 1990s and is now declining.

The biggest factor in high housing costs is the lack of supply.
There is also a NIMBY culture that will show up to any government meeting and try and stop any kind of low cost or subsidized housing. Usually one person will get up there and say that it will lower their property values first thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota