Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 12,406 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up in Hammond it has become very nice to see how much effort the city has put into cleaning up the city and maintaining the neighborhoods. As me and my wife started to look at buying a house she wanted to go back to Hammond for her commute and her friends and family. We knew about the new train stops coming , but she still wanted to go back to Hammond. We looked at South Hammond mainly with the Hesville area also. We were kind of surprised to see the housing prices and how fast they were selling. So we expanded our search. I was shocked all over Hammond from East Hammond to North Hammond houses were selling for well over $200,000. We honestly thought it was just in South Hammond, but it was all over. So I asked my wife if paying $250,000 in Hammond is worth it when we could go to Munster, Highland, Dyer, Merrillville, Schererville for the same price? In most cases better homes, not quick flips.

Hammond doesn’t have shopping or dining, and with multiple schools closing the schools can’t be getting any better anytime soon. No movie theater or any real city hub. Nobody wants to swim in Wolf Lake no matter how many millions they spend on it. Although it is beautiful especially with the boardwalk in the rear of Wolf Lake. Now with St Margrets basically turning into a quick clinic and the south shore opening up new stops in Munster and Dyer, Hammonds plans for a downtown boom is over. Once the train stops open in Dyer and Munster most people won’t have to Park in Hammond anymore. Once the hospital shrinks that’s going to remove hundreds of people also. Hammond is going to lose probably thousands of people going downtown daily. From delivery drivers, Uber drivers, employees, vendors, etc. this is going to effect Straks eventually.

How can Hammond continue to justify these prices? Will Hammond continue these prices? Are these normal prices? Will people have to sell homes in the future at a loss? Is there a Masterplan for Hammond I’m missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 04:18 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,488,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialleaf View Post
As someone who grew up in Hammond it has become very nice to see how much effort the city has put into cleaning up the city and maintaining the neighborhoods. As me and my wife started to look at buying a house she wanted to go back to Hammond for her commute and her friends and family. We knew about the new train stops coming , but she still wanted to go back to Hammond. We looked at South Hammond mainly with the Hesville area also. We were kind of surprised to see the housing prices and how fast they were selling. So we expanded our search. I was shocked all over Hammond from East Hammond to North Hammond houses were selling for well over $200,000. We honestly thought it was just in South Hammond, but it was all over. So I asked my wife if paying $250,000 in Hammond is worth it when we could go to Munster, Highland, Dyer, Merrillville, Schererville for the same price? In most cases better homes, not quick flips.

Hammond doesn’t have shopping or dining, and with multiple schools closing the schools can’t be getting any better anytime soon. No movie theater or any real city hub. Nobody wants to swim in Wolf Lake no matter how many millions they spend on it. Although it is beautiful especially with the boardwalk in the rear of Wolf Lake. Now with St Margrets basically turning into a quick clinic and the south shore opening up new stops in Munster and Dyer, Hammonds plans for a downtown boom is over. Once the train stops open in Dyer and Munster most people won’t have to Park in Hammond anymore. Once the hospital shrinks that’s going to remove hundreds of people also. Hammond is going to lose probably thousands of people going downtown daily. From delivery drivers, Uber drivers, employees, vendors, etc. this is going to effect Straks eventually.

How can Hammond continue to justify these prices? Will Hammond continue these prices? Are these normal prices? Will people have to sell homes in the future at a loss? Is there a Masterplan for Hammond I’m missing?
Aside from the fact that the housing market in general is crazy right now, the prices in Hammond had been going up anyway primarily due to the influx of people from Illinois who are willing to, can, and do pay substantially more for housing than most current residents are willing to or can pay.

Hammond is not perfect but there have been significant improvements over the past several years in regards to shopping to serve both south Hammond and north Hammond. Walmart (x2), Ross (x2), Starbucks (x2), and other locales have opened in Hammond. The Oxbow Landing development off Kennedy replaced the troubled River Park apartments with two new hotels, a two new Class A office buildings, Buffalo Wild Wings, and anyway Brewery. Also, 18th street Brewery in Hammond is expanding in downtown Hammond area which will include gardens and modern apartments as well.

I’m not sure where you think you’re going to land a $250k home today in Munster which is extremely few and far between. In Dyer, the chances are not too high either as with Schererville. Highland is more possible but the market is white hot at that price.

One thing people seem to forget is that not everybody who lives in Hammond or desires to live in Hammond also has a desire to live in the more suburban communities south of Hammond even if they could easily afford to. And I am saying this as someone who did not grow up in Hammond so I do not have any sort of biases towards it; however, people underestimated Hammond and now are upset that the prices have bucked their thought of plummeting and have been skyrocketing instead. Bad for buyers of course but good for the city and good for the residents who stayed and didn’t flee even when they could have.

As far as the hospital drastically reducing operations, this is extremely unfortunate and yes it will have a negative impact on downtown Hammond. However, I do believe that Hammond will continue to thrive. You have people exploring Hammond as an option to live that never would have considered it before (folks who are willing to spend more money on housing) and it’s still a reasonable commute to the city for jobs. Also, there is a lot of infill housing that has been constructed and more in the pipeline for Hammond which is awesome to see.

Overall, Hammond can justify the prices because people can afford them and pay them.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Aside from the fact that the housing market in general is crazy right now, the prices in Hammond had been going up anyway primarily due to the influx of people from Illinois who are willing to, can, and do pay substantially more for housing than most current residents are willing to or can pay.

Hammond is not perfect but there have been significant improvements over the past several years in regards to shopping to serve both south Hammond and north Hammond. Walmart (x2), Ross (x2), Starbucks (x2), and other locales have opened in Hammond. The Oxbow Landing development off Kennedy replaced the troubled River Park apartments with two new hotels, a two new Class A office buildings, Buffalo Wild Wings, and anyway Brewery. Also, 18th street Brewery in Hammond is expanding in downtown Hammond area which will include gardens and modern apartments as well.

I’m not sure where you think you’re going to land a $250k home today in Munster which is extremely few and far between. In Dyer, the chances are not too high either as with Schererville. Highland is more possible but the market is white hot at that price.

One thing people seem to forget is that not everybody who lives in Hammond or desires to live in Hammond also has a desire to live in the more suburban communities south of Hammond even if they could easily afford to. And I am saying this as someone who did not grow up in Hammond so I do not have any sort of biases towards it; however, people underestimated Hammond and now are upset that the prices have bucked their thought of plummeting and have been skyrocketing instead. Bad for buyers of course but good for the city and good for the residents who stayed and didn’t flee even when they could have.

As far as the hospital drastically reducing operations, this is extremely unfortunate and yes it will have a negative impact on downtown Hammond. However, I do believe that Hammond will continue to thrive. You have people exploring Hammond as an option to live that never would have considered it before (folks who are willing to spend more money on housing) and it’s still a reasonable commute to the city for jobs. Also, there is a lot of infill housing that has been constructed and more in the pipeline for Hammond which is awesome to see.

Overall, Hammond can justify the prices because people can afford them and pay them.

As someone who grew up in Hammond and has friends and family currently living in Hammond, a lot of the things you reference are the problems most Hammond residents complain about. The shopping currently in Hammond, outside off Home Depot,Menards,Cabelas,Walmart is pretty much non existent. Ross? DDs Discount?Another problem with the shopping is it has been positioned to service Chicago on the north side of Hammond and south suburbs on the south side of Hammond. The dining is still a issue no matter what brewery opens up or expands. BWW? A bar, no? As far as downtown goes. That’s a huge gamble without the hospital and the traffic from the trains. Are you aware of the current footprint of the hospital? They not only have the hospital, but a laundry facility and a dialysis center a block or two after the hospital. There is a restaurant in downtown Hammond now that has been completely remodeled called EAT! It is rarely open unless there is a event downtown. That’s only a couple times a year.

Hammond has made so much progress thanks to the blight program and the RDA. The city itself is still lacking in basics. Dining, shopping, entertainment. I just hope they can add those things to continue to progress. Because all signs lead to people not being able to sell homes in the future for a profit. People are buying homes for well over $200,000 in East Hammond. I’m a 34 y/o black male and my wife is Spanish from North Hammond. I have family living in East Hammond. My grandparents built their home from the ground up in the “nice” part. My entire life East Hammond has been considered the hood. Now people are selling homes for a quarter million or better? Everything left East Hammond years ago. $200,000+ homes on Sherman st. I don’t know how any of this is possible. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
As someone who grew up in Hammond and has friends and family currently living in Hammond, a lot of the things you reference are the problems most Hammond residents complain about. The shopping currently in Hammond, outside off Home Depot,Menards,Cabelas,Walmart is pretty much non existent. Ross? DDs Discount?Another problem with the shopping is it has been positioned to service Chicago on the north side of Hammond and south suburbs on the south side of Hammond. The dining is still a issue no matter what brewery opens up or expands. BWW? A bar, no? As far as downtown goes. That’s a huge gamble without the hospital and the traffic from the trains. Are you aware of the current footprint of the hospital? They not only have the hospital, but a laundry facility and a dialysis center a block or two after the hospital. There is a restaurant in downtown Hammond now that has been completely remodeled called EAT! It is rarely open unless there is a event downtown. That’s only a couple times a year.

Hammond has made so much progress thanks to the blight program and the RDA. The city itself is still lacking in basics. Dining, shopping, entertainment. I just hope they can add those things to continue to progress. Because all signs lead to people not being able to sell homes in the future for a profit. People are buying homes for well over $200,000 in East Hammond. I’m a 34 y/o black male and my wife is Spanish from North Hammond. I have family living in East Hammond. My grandparents built their home from the ground up in the “nice” part. My entire life East Hammond has been considered the hood. Now people are selling homes for a quarter million or better? Everything left East Hammond years ago. $200,000+ homes on Sherman st. I don’t know how any of this is possible. Hopefully I’m wrong.
It’s happening across the country. Something isn’t right. I held off on buying this year as I had planned because it just doesn’t feel right.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s happening across the country. Something isn’t right. I held off on buying this year as I had planned because it just doesn’t feel right.
I get the fact that real estate is hot right now, but that doesn’t justify what’s happening in Hammond. A quick look at Realtor will show you a $259,000 home on Bauer st. The house has been completely remodeled, but living on Bauer for that price is ridiculous. You would be in a safer, quieter,nicer neighborhood in Miller or Calumet Township for far less money. The home was sold in 2020 for $67,000.

I see another home on Highland facing a quick mart that use to be 7/11, but closed down due to constant problems and the clerk being murdered. Empty lots from the Cadillac dealership that left 15-20 years ago. Not to far from state line and again, no shopping, no dining. $239,000 and the description says this is one of Hammonds most distinguished neighborhoods and the home needs cosmetic work. This isn’t 30 years ago. There is nothing there and the area is known for prostitution due to the proximity of stateline.

I understand all over America there housing market is going crazy, but places like Hammond don’t offer anything and there is little to no room for new housing developments.It also seems to be a problem now to get major retailers to set up shop. Tif districts and opportunity zones will only lead to more tax problems for Hammond in the future. That’s why they are closing so many schools now.

The value of these homes are going to plummet eventually unless Hammond can offer something outside of being a safe city for Chicago residents.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:31 PM

255 posts, read 414,182 times
Quote:
I get the fact that real estate is hot right now, but that doesn’t justify what’s happening in Hammond. A quick look at Realtor will show you a $259,000 home on Bauer st. The house has been completely remodeled, but living on Bauer for that price is ridiculous. You would be in a safer, quieter,nicer neighborhood in Miller or Calumet Township for far less money. The home was sold in 2020 for $67,000.

I see another home on Highland facing a quick mart that use to be 7/11, but closed down due to constant problems and the clerk being murdered. Empty lots from the Cadillac dealership that left 15-20 years ago. Not to far from state line and again, no shopping, no dining. $239,000 and the description says this is one of Hammonds most distinguished neighborhoods and the home needs cosmetic work. This isn’t 30 years ago. There is nothing there and the area is known for prostitution due to the proximity of stateline.

I understand all over America there housing market is going crazy, but places like Hammond don’t offer anything and there is little to no room for new housing developments.It also seems to be a problem now to get major retailers to set up shop. Tif districts and opportunity zones will only lead to more tax problems for Hammond in the future. That’s why they are closing so many schools now.

The value of these homes are going to plummet eventually unless Hammond can offer something outside of being a safe city for Chicago residents.
Miller, Black Oak, unincorporated Calumet Township, Merrillville, Lake Station. None of these places are incredible but you'll find a much cheaper home in all of them than other parts of Lake County. Although parts of Miller are likely fairly pricey now. Not sure what homes in Griffith and Hobart are going for, but decent communities overall.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:54 PM

31 posts, read 32,526 times
I'm an investor, and i've been shocked at the surging prices in Indiana. When the boom was going on from 2004-2008, Hammond was still affordable. I have rental there, so it has upped my portfolio. As already mentioned, there has been a tremendous amount of investment going into Hammond.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 10,131 times
Quote:

My family lived in that area from 1909 to 1994. My grandfather built our house at 252 Detroit Street in 1909 plus a lot more nearby and around Hammond until 1929. He used kit homes sold by Sears Roebuck since everything was pre-cut so went up fast. My mother said that 1/2 of the older homes in Hammond probably were Sears kit homes due to being cheap and didn't require skilled labor. She sold our house in 1994 for $54,000 to a couple I went to high school with. They sold it later and according to tax records, seems to owned by a guy in Munster that appears to have some sort of racket going on, where he sells it then gets it back within a year or two. It's valuation was in the $90's in 2020 so he may be asking in the $200K range today hoping to find a sucker.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 33,796 times
The prices in Hammond seem to still be holding. The downtown development is going to be a major gamble for Hammond.

Old 12-31-2022, 04:52 PM

The hospital leaving downtown is a major blow to Hammond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana