Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2021, 01:38 AM

2,948 posts, read 5,195,279 times

Advertisements

Long post:

Hello from Boston...

Is anybody here old enough to answer my question?

My family lived in the Omaha area near the Mockingbird elementary school in 1970-71 where I attended 5th grade.

My dad was on a temporary job transfer from Buffalo, so we lived at the nearby Wentworth apartment community. I believe somebody from Omaha informed me years ago that that apartment community was wiped out in a tornado? Sad if true. Has Omaha had several tornadoes since my time there in 1971? I hope not.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the school appear on my Google search tonight. I assume the school hasn't suffer major tornado damage over the years, even if my apartment community was destroyed?

Is this a busy area nowadays? Overbuilt with homes and apartments? Middle class, as we were? I don't recall much if any diversity then at the school, but maybe the area and school is quite varied now?

I was surprised to see the school listed in an actual Omaha zip code...so I guess I officially may have lived in Omaha when at the nearby apartment, and not a suburb.

I do recall shopping at Crossroads Mall, so I guess we didn't live too far from that, and thus the Mockingbird school now listed is likeky the same one I attended.

I recall playing in a youth hockey league at Ak-Sar-ban arena (didn't realize then it's Nebraska spelled backwards!), home of the Omaha Knights of the then Central Hockey League. I searched, and it does appear to still be in use? But I realize a newer arena has been built since then. Omaha then had an American Hockey League team years later for a short while after the Knights? Same nickname? Did the Knights move or fold after I left in 1971 to move back to Buffalo -- or maybe the league folded?

I understand The University of Omaha-Nebraska men's hockey team plays some or all games in a newer city arena, or is it a USHL junior hockey team mainly, or both? I do recall watching a nationally televised figure skating tournament from the newer arena just a years ago, so that was neat!

Thanks for any info from my fellow "older crowd."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: