Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 08:40 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times

Advertisements

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...d-reviews.html

I am always curious as to why State media in Oregon considers Gov't here productive when all it really does is "throw money" at an issue. There really should be a deeper dive into how funds are disbursed and to who, how decisions are actually made and most importantly what are the actual tangible results.

This article is a classic example - state gov't authorizes XXX MILLIONS for hobo assistance. Apparently that in itself is a success.

Are there any real critical or objective news sources that you know of? I am searching for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 10:20 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I just used several different sources and averaged them out. I figured the truth lay somewhere in the middle. You have to analyze the news and try to see the spin and figure out what it means. Then keep your eyes open and observe what is happening all around you that does not correspond to what you are being told.

Once upon a time (decades ago) PBS was just facts. Not any more, but on PBS you can watch the news from Britain and Japan and that gives more information about what is happening in America than you get from the mainstream American networks.

It also helps to remember what they said last month and said a year ago, and not just take what they say today as the facts.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:04 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
She was productive for her particular agenda. That is how I read the article. It is about her goals and her governing style so far.

OPB gave a broad overview of the items in the bill here. https://www.opb.org/article/2023/03/...using-package/

It was HB 2001 and if you google it, you can find more details on it I'm sure from a bunch of different news sources. Salem has a new newspaper called the Salem Reporter and I think they do a good job of keeping things neutral so you can read and learn. https://www.salemreporter.com/2023/0...ls-it-a-start/

Old 01-19-2024, 02:47 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
She was productive for her particular agenda. That is how I read the article. It is about her goals and her governing style so far.

OPB gave a broad overview of the items in the bill here. https://www.opb.org/article/2023/03/...using-package/

It was HB 2001 and if you google it, you can find more details on it I'm sure from a bunch of different news sources. Salem has a new newspaper called the Salem Reporter and I think they do a good job of keeping things neutral so you can read and learn. https://www.salemreporter.com/2023/0...ls-it-a-start/

Thank you for reply.

I view the articles you cite as just continuation of same ole media approach.
These articles just list how millions of dollars are allocated.

There is no deep dive into what monies are actually to be expended that materially make a difference nor accounting of anticipated success metrics. I mean what is % of money used to actually build a house vs. creating a new state Bureaucracy?

For example - who is challenging state as to how many actual "low cost" homes are built on taxpayer dime?

How many people are "housed" per dollar? Is there an expectation that these people will still be "housed" 1,3, 5 yrs later? How long is state involved and paying for these people, once they are " housed"? What keeps out of state hobos from coming to Oregon to take advantage of this state's "goodwill?

How many new state employees and likely Democrat voters are now on the taxpayer dime from these boondoggles?

There is so much potential for corruption and fraud in these massive state expenditures that I believe much more critical analysis should be occurring in the public realm.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:06 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Thank you for reply.

I view the articles you cite as just continuation of same ole media approach.
These articles just list how millions of dollars are allocated.

There is no deep dive into what monies are actually to be expended that materially make a difference nor accounting of anticipated success metrics. I mean what is % of money used to actually build a house vs. creating a new state Bureaucracy?

For example - who is challenging state as to how many actual "low cost" homes are built on taxpayer dime?

How many people are "housed" per dollar? Is there an expectation that these people will still be "housed" 1,3, 5 yrs later? How long is state involved and paying for these people, once they are " housed"? What keeps out of state hobos from coming to Oregon to take advantage of this state's "goodwill?

How many new state employees and likely Democrat voters are now on the taxpayer dime from these boondoggles?

There is so much potential for corruption and fraud in these massive state expenditures that I believe much more critical analysis should be occurring in the public realm.
Well, they solved the problem of homeless veterans in Oregon. 1,460 homeless veterans in Oregon, you know the real number is double, triple, or quadruple that, and they built them 10 tiny homes La Grande. Problem solved.

They are pissing on a forest fire. It's nothing.

Old 03-09-2024, 03:10 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
It is good to wonder about efficiency and efficacy of programs and seek multiple and varying media inputs.

But sometimes it can be necessary to dig directly by making calls or visits to folks who know or should know and requesting official documents if second or third or 4th hand information isn't sufficient.

Most of the cost of many services (government, business, social, religious) are salaries and other overhead. Nothing unusual about that for government. Stuff requiring people to do and do right & well will have overhead. Minimizing overhead is a task for the very best managers, public officials and sometimes a citizen willing to work for efficiency and efficacy beyond sitting, watching and maybe complaining.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:18 AM

330 posts, read 428,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

OPB is an excellent news source

Old 04-12-2024, 05:41 AM

3,777 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
OPB is an excellent news source
Or, they used to be. The radio side is a National Public Radio affiliate. NPR really went downhill once Trump was elected. NPR senior editor Uri Berliner had an excellent piece in the Free Press regarding the downward slide of NPR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by “Uri Berliner at the Free Press”

An open-minded spirit no longer exists within NPR, and now, predictably, we don’t have an audience that reflects America.

That wouldn’t be a problem for an openly polemical news outlet serving a niche audience. But for NPR, which purports to consider all things, it’s devastating both for its journalism and its business model.

[...]

what’s notable is the extent to which people at every level of NPR have comfortably coalesced around the progressive worldview.

And this, I believe, is the most damaging development at NPR: the absence of viewpoint diversity.

Old 04-14-2024, 07:07 PM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Or, they used to be. The radio side is a National Public Radio affiliate. NPR really went downhill once Trump was elected. NPR senior editor Uri Berliner had an excellent piece in the Free Press regarding the downward slide of NPR.
you may want to do some research on NPR

Old 04-14-2024, 08:22 PM

3,777 posts, read 2,683,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
you may want to do some research on NPR
I am familiar with NPR, both as a listener and as a donor. If you have a point, make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon