Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 12:24 PM

254 posts, read 587,341 times

Advertisements

I recently visited in the month of January and was struck how Phoenix is not hit as hard by the homeless problem with tent villages under bridges like you see in cities like Austin TX, Sacramento CA, all the big-name Cali cities and maybe Seattle and PDX. I would imagine Phoenix would be a destination too with the slightly similar temperature as the aforementioned cities. There is always this theory that they are all coming from the East Coast or Midwest to escape the cold. But really how is it so with Phoenix? is the blight hidden better or does the city offer better social welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
I recently visited in the month of January and was struck how Phoenix is not hit as hard by the homeless problem with tent villages under bridges like you see in cities like Austin TX, Sacramento CA, all the big-name Cali cities and maybe Seattle and PDX. I would imagine Phoenix would be a destination too with the slightly similar temperature as the aforementioned cities. There is always this theory that they are all coming from the East Coast or Midwest to escape the cold. But really how is it so with Phoenix? is the blight hidden better or does the city offer better social welfare?
The bigger encampments are in places a tourist would likely not pass through. Our extreme summer temperatures probably also limits the area as a "destination".

Old 01-24-2022, 02:30 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The bigger encampments are in places a tourist would likely not pass through. Our extreme summer temperatures probably also limits the area as a "destination".
The above and the fact Cal is right next door.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:53 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Phoenix isn't nearly as liberal as the cities you described.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Phoenix isn't nearly as liberal as the cities you described.
How do you figure? Phoenix has a Democrat mayor and a Democrat majority city council. It’s also the largest city in Maricopa County which has a Democrat sheriff.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:02 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
How do you figure? Phoenix has a Democrat mayor and a Democrat majority city council. It’s also the largest city in Maricopa County which has a Democrat sheriff.
Are you seriously comparing places like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin to Phoenix? Sure, Phoenix is Blue, but those places are leftist strongholds. When people think of uber progressive, left-wing cities, Phoenix does not enter the conversation. Not even comparable.

Old 01-24-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Are you seriously comparing places like Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, and Austin to Phoenix? Sure, Phoenix is Blue, but those places are leftist strongholds. When people think of uber progressive, left-wing cities, Phoenix does not enter the conversation. Not even comparable.
Phoenix is a lot like Austin. Blue city and red as you move out. Again, the government makeup doesn’t fit the ‘not so liberal’ narrative. Phoenix delivered AZ to Biden.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:34 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Not only are all of those cities considerably more liberal than Phoenix, they are also all very mild weather cities. Phoenix has one of the most extreme climates in North America. It’s not even remotely comparable to places on the west coast. People from outside of Arizona seem to think that since our winter temps are mild, we must have a great climate. That’s not the case at all - it’d be like visiting Duluth in July and saying “man, why aren’t homeless people flocking to this great weather!”

Old 01-24-2022, 06:14 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
If I was homeless, I'd definitely find my broke ass a way to get to San Diego or LA, where the weather is best in the world and you can have a $10M view for $0.00 thanks to the lax governor (beaches are state land by and large). I think Californians were mesmerized by Newsoms movie star looks and got a guy that is 10/10 on the liberal scale when what they really wanted was an 8.5. The government isn't the entire reason though, there's homeless all over the more conservative San Diego County, downtown and East Village areas especially, which isn't state land. I know theres a plan for 35,000 housing units for homeless but I wonder if that will ultimately encourage more. The third reason behind climate and the government is the high cost of living in CA.

Old 01-24-2022, 07:15 PM

410 posts, read 399,697 times
As other people have said Phoenix is not nearly as liberal as those other cities. They city still has phoenix PD do homeless camping enforcement. That is why the DOJ is investigating the city police after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area