Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 12:54 PM

176 posts, read 134,219 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Wondering how you ladies/men would pronounce this name- NAIOMI

(NAIO would be pronounced NYE-OH right?)

My friend is having a baby girl and loves the spelling of Naomi but prefers the name to be pronounced
NYE-OH-ME rather than NAY-OH-ME. To lessen confusion she wants to spell it Naiomi instead of Naomi. Do you think this would mostly work or should she change the spelling to Nyomi OR Niomi etc. Any thoughts/opinions on this? Is their another spelling alternative that might work better?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 01:15 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
NYE o mi, spelled Naiomi, will doom the kid to always having to explain how to pronounce her name. If she feels she must mess with a perfectly good name, she could spell it, Nyomi.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:44 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I would pronounce NAIOMI as "Nye-omi" just like your friend wants since I'm familiar with NAOMI being pronounced "Nay-omi" so the difference is clear. At worst you'd need to tell someone once.

I don't think it's a problem because these days, and going forward, more and more foreign names that are difficult to pronounce are going to be the norm.

Old 09-08-2021, 05:20 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
In my opinion, you just can't win with the name Naomi. Some people (including me) pronounce it NAY-omi, others say NY-omi.

If it's spelled Naiomi, that doesn't solve the problem at all, it just makes it worse. Some people will still look at it and say NAY-omi ("ai" as in "train, main") and others will say NY-omi ("ai" as in "aisle"). And add to that the fact that it's an invented spelling which will have to be spelled out every single time.

Lesser of two evils is just to stick to Naomi and tell people it's "NY-omi." 50% of English-speakers will say it that way anyway, and everyone can spell it.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:54 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
All I can think of is Why-nonna Judd. I always think it sounds weird, and is spelled Wynonna. I would pronounce this Winonna, so why mess with names like this? I don’t get it.

Old 09-09-2021, 01:36 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I had a friend whose name was spelled Stephen. He pronounced it "Steph-an" whilst everyone called him "Steve -en" - the same as Steven.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:41 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,066,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I can think of is Why-nonna Judd. I always think it sounds weird, and is spelled Wynonna. I would pronounce this Winonna, so why mess with names like this? I don’t get it.
Then her smash signature hits like “Why Not Me” and “Tell Me Why” wouldn’t play off her name.

Seriously though, Winona (Ryder) is pronounced differently than Wynonna (Judd.) “Wy” functions as “sky” or “shy.” We don’t pronounce “sky” “ski.”

Old 09-17-2021, 02:00 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertariansmovingtoidaho View Post
Hi,
Wondering how you ladies/men would pronounce this name- NAIOMI

(NAIO would be pronounced NYE-OH right?)

My friend is having a baby girl and loves the spelling of Naomi but prefers the name to be pronounced
NYE-OH-ME rather than NAY-OH-ME. To lessen confusion she wants to spell it Naiomi instead of Naomi. Do you think this would mostly work or should she change the spelling to Nyomi OR Niomi etc. Any thoughts/opinions on this? Is their another spelling alternative that might work better?
Thank you!
Naiomi--This looks like a spelling variation of Naomi. It would not occur to me to pronounce it differently. I suspect the child will have to suffer with having their name constantly mispronounced and misspelled.

Nyomi or Niomi are more phoentic, though the child will probably constantly have their name misspelled and often mispronounced because when you go with an invented spelling, you get all sorts of crazy pronunciation.

I like Naomi. At least that way the spelling won't be an issue. Child can just correct people on the pronunciation, but that's better than having to constantly correct people on BOTH pronunciation and spelling.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:40 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
NYomi or it will get pronounced Naomi. Naiomi just looks like someone tried to get cutsy with spelling Naomi.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:52 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Naiomi--This looks like a spelling variation of Naomi. It would not occur to me to pronounce it differently. I suspect the child will have to suffer with having their name constantly mispronounced and misspelled.

Nyomi or Niomi are more phoentic, though the child will probably constantly have their name misspelled and often mispronounced because when you go with an invented spelling, you get all sorts of crazy pronunciation.

I like Naomi. At least that way the spelling won't be an issue. Child can just correct people on the pronunciation, but that's better than having to constantly correct people on BOTH pronunciation and spelling.
Naomi already has a standard pronounciation: "Nay-o-mee." Spelling it that way, while claiming to pronounce it "Ny-o-mee" will only result in the poor child having to correct everyone for the entirely of her life. "Niomi" would work (after all, it's similar to Miami, pronounced "My-am-ee"), but it looks too similar to Naomi. To be safe, I'd go with Nyomi. (Well, actually, I'd go with Naomi and pronounce it Nay-o-mee because I like that name. But that's not what the OP asked.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy