Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,058 times

Advertisements

Seems like Rapid City crime stats are fairly high. I feel safe when I am out and about in downtown and in the various shopping areas. Anyone else have any thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 12:22 PM

327 posts, read 211,146 times
Crime rate is increasing. It’s only going to get worse. 15,000 people will be moving in by 2025 due to the Air Force new training squad moving in not to mention people from bigger cities moving and bringing along their crap. People looking to move here take notice. Best you all look elsewhere such as Casper, wolf point, or minot.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:57 PM
JPP

31 posts, read 78,283 times
Sadly much of the crime in the area is one ethnic group on itself. I have never felt unsafe in RC & I've lived here decades.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:31 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I have some strong feelings about the whole thing. There is a cultural issues that is not military dependent. Montana is filling up with Californians.

The housing market is insane here. Sure, you can sell a house for a profit, but what are you going to move in to?

Rapid is not the same town I grew up in. It has changed, not for the better, in the 11 years I have been back. Main complaint is the utter lack of forethought of growth. Utter lack of planning and preparation. Prime example that irritates me. All three roads through the gap under construction at the same time. The addition of traffic lights to impede traffic on Omaha Street.

Rapid City is not know for its tornados. However, the hail will cause you more headache.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:37 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I have some strong feelings about the whole thing. There is a cultural issues that is not military dependent. Montana is filling up with Californians.

The housing market is insane here. Sure, you can sell a house for a profit, but what are you going to move in to?

Rapid is not the same town I grew up in. It has changed, not for the better, in the 11 years I have been back. Main complaint is the utter lack of forethought of growth. Utter lack of planning and preparation. Prime example that irritates me. All three roads through the gap under construction at the same time. The addition of traffic lights to impede traffic on Omaha Street.

Rapid City is not know for its tornados. However, the hail will cause you more headache.
The hail situation is what gave me pause, especially since I was told by an apartment complex manager that they were not allowed to build carports because of some local ordinance saying you have to have open spaces. Or something like that. OR maybe someone made that one up because the owners didn't want to pay for smashed carports from hail. Better your insurance pay for smashed cars! The former makes absolutely no sense. Seems like there's plenty of "open space" areas out there. Even tree hugging California allows car ports. My hunch might be the later is behind it.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:45 AM

3,884 posts, read 4,534,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post

It will be interesting to see how many coastal Californians will actually stay after the honeymoon period is over. This goes for Montana as well as SD, ND, Wyoming etc. I'm sure it will fit some to a T, but after dealing with storms, blizzards, hail etc. etc. some will long for their carefree days in a 2k plus, 600 square foot apartment where you call maintenance to change a lightbulb or fix a simple leak behind the toilet, and you can be outside walking your "doggo" in pretty nice weather the majority of the year! I know of which I speak.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:42 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
Sadly much of the crime in the area is one ethnic group on itself. I have never felt unsafe in RC & I've lived here decades.
That's pretty much the same nationwide. And they are mollycoddled by officials in charge.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:53 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
I know not of the specific issues being noted, but if you believe the Air Force is bringing in problems....why not setup a de facto red light zone for them. Make things illegal except for a geographic area and then let that be developed separately. Then the locals have it as well. Let taxes from the area pay for increased law enforcement.

I'd be surprised if it was a horde of ex-Californians going on a rampage. We've got 200 shades of wrong and weird, but that doesn't sound like one of them. If it is, nothing to worry about, winter is coming.

Nothing attributable to the Rally huh?

Old 10-30-2021, 03:02 PM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I know not of the specific issues being noted, but if you believe the Air Force is bringing in problems....why not setup a de facto red light zone for them. Make things illegal except for a geographic area and then let that be developed separately. Then the locals have it as well. Let taxes from the area pay for increased law enforcement.

I'd be surprised if it was a horde of ex-Californians going on a rampage. We've got 200 shades of wrong and weird, but that doesn't sound like one of them. If it is, nothing to worry about, winter is coming.

Nothing attributable to the Rally huh?

If the Air Force is like the Navy, the base commander can designate areas that off limits. Sending out the MPs will ensure the troops are behaving.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:06 PM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
It will be interesting to see how many coastal Californians will actually stay after the honeymoon period is over. This goes for Montana as well as SD, ND, Wyoming etc. I'm sure it will fit some to a T, but after dealing with storms, blizzards, hail etc. etc. some will long for their carefree days in a 2k plus, 600 square foot apartment where you call maintenance to change a lightbulb or fix a simple leak behind the toilet, and you can be outside walking your "doggo" in pretty nice weather the majority of the year! I know of which I speak.
Thank you for stating coastal Californians as they are the loonies. I'm still in California and I live far from the coast. We survived the 7.1 earthquake :-) which I should have posted here long ago.

Hubby dearest is semi retired and some day we may move out of the land of fruit and nuts. I hope so. We are now thinking about moving to the other side of Death Valley and living in Nevada. Would have loved to have moved to Rapid but due to family issues need to stick closer to home.

We are thinking about having a family reunion in the Black Hills this summer. I'm wanting to go to Rapid while others want to have the reunion in places like Hill City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City