Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 08:24 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,573,552 times

Advertisements

Is it Spring yet, lol??? The wind never seems to let up. It roars constantly. And it isn't even technically winter yet. Remind me again why I moved here. This too shall end. Stay warm, and safe everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ4M0Dvow4k

-----------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 08:46 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I guess I shouldn't remind you of the time I visited my parents in Rapid City in February and was able to sit out in the sunshine. LOL

Of course, the next year I brought my dog with me and had to go out and shovel a trench in the snow around the inside of the fence so he couldn't walk out of the yard. And my plane back home was delayed 4 days. Good times.

Yeah, it'll pass. Hang in there!

Edit: there's always that guy in shorts! LMAO

Old 12-16-2022, 09:18 PM

I knew they got some bad storms, but also knew they would get a certain amount of warming Chinook winds every so often. I kind of focused on the thaws. The fall was very nice, but dry. Reading about the bad storms, and blizzards is not the same as living through them I've found. The front range of Colorado had some very bad storms, and blizzards but I've managed to forget about them kind of like forgetting the pain of childbirth, lol.

I understand the dog thing. I live in senior apts, and have to take my Westie out for his potty breaks blizzards, or not. Lot's of layers for both of us. If it was just me I wouldn't leave the place. I tell the cat when she wants to go out that she should be thankful that she is a housecat. I just can't seem to get the dog to use the litter box.

Where we are located on the east side of Dinosaur Hill at the base, we didn't get nearly as much as the video portrays. And the stiff winds blew what little we did get into drifts exposing the bare ground. We really could use the moisture. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:24 PM

You're welcome, but I hate to tell you, I think the Dakotas are in for it again.

I live in the Pacific NW and for this area, we're also going to have some snow and a couple of days where it won't get above freezing. I'm trying to remember why I didn't move to Florida. LOL

Old 12-17-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You're welcome, but I hate to tell you, I think the Dakotas are in for it again.

I live in the Pacific NW and for this area, we're also going to have some snow and a couple of days where it won't get above freezing. I'm trying to remember why I didn't move to Florida. LOL
I kind of figured as much. It's much too early in the year for it to stop. This was just a warmup. Last night by 11 pm the winds had finally died down to nothing for which I was grateful.

Yeah, I lived in Sequim, Wa for almost 3 yrs, and I enjoyed that weather a great deal. It was easy, till the divorce hit. I just didn't like the drug induced homelessness. Those people do scary things, and there are a lot of them in the area. Like one wacked out guy living in an outhouse on the Discovery Trail we were walking along who jumped out at me screaming, and swearing in a crazy manner all wild eyed when I opened the unlocked door. I'm just glad he didn't attack me. It's very pretty except for things like that, lol.

And now Florida is getting too expensive for those of us with limited means. It has still crossed my mind though, except for the gators, and constrictors that people throw away, smh. It's always something.

Old 12-19-2022, 12:51 PM

And this right here is why my Amazon delivery was delayed, lol. God Bless Our Truck Drivers!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_l49ZSNts

---------------------

Old 12-19-2022, 01:22 PM

First 1/2 is South Dakota. Yes, yes I know that bad winter storms are common. But they don't normally last for as long as this one did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoCNE6OitD8

-----------------------

Old 12-19-2022, 01:39 PM

Just one more video from me. The clip of that poor elderly dog left out on the porch for who knows how long is distrubing. The owner should be left outside tied up instead. Maybe they would learn to take better care of their animals. Really burns me up, it was so cold the pup could barely walk. At least put a decent shelter like a doggloo out there for it to go in with a warm blanket inside, complete idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDL-m-Tp6T0

--------------------

Old 12-19-2022, 04:41 PM

Well, our storm is starting now. It's been snowing for an hour and the yard is all white again. Our area is supposed to get 4 to 6 inches of snow. I know that's not a lot, but it still makes driving impossible for me. It may as well be 6 feet. LOL

Winter wonderland - here we go again. *sigh*

I remember the year I had to go shovel the yard inside the fence, they shut down I-90 and were fining people for driving on it. My feeling was if you could have gotten to I-90 in the first place, you deserved to be allowed to drive on it. I remember they were also dropping hay for the antelope.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, our storm is starting now. It's been snowing for an hour and the yard is all white again. Our area is supposed to get 4 to 6 inches of snow. I know that's not a lot, but it still makes driving impossible for me. It may as well be 6 feet. LOL

Winter wonderland - here we go again. *sigh*

I remember the year I had to go shovel the yard inside the fence, they shut down I-90 and were fining people for driving on it. My feeling was if you could have gotten to I-90 in the first place, you deserved to be allowed to drive on it. I remember they were also dropping hay for the antelope.
That isn't too awfully bad . Hopefully it won't stick around very long, just a couple days maybe. I have a older Chevy cargo van that hates snow, and ice unless it's loaded down in back. The other places I've lived I would just wait till the roads were in better shape, not too long, and then go. But here it hasn't warmed up enough to melt anything, and won't till Sunday. Highs are around zero. Now I'm hemmed in by a low bank of frozen tundra hard as a rock that my van can't manage to hop over at all. It's also on a slight incline, smh. So I understand about the driving thing. It has all season tires, but that isn't good enough for here. They will have to do though.

If they allowed the silly geese onto I90 then when they got stuck in a ditch, and needed rescuing guess who would have to risk their necks to go after them. It's much easier keeping them out in the first place so that they won't endanger the rescue crews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City