Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 09:44 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The neighbor may, in fact, have a right to continue using your driveway. It depends on the details. Look up the term "adverse possession" and study it carefully. See if the description fits your situation.
In which state(s) would the situation described by the OP constitute effective adverse possession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:04 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
Ok, a few hours of research and I found that he has ROW. It's not on my deed but on his, also found a map. I actually think that ROW is depicted on the lot map on town website as it's actually a straight line with two numbers on it so I was guessing what was that about, I think it explains.

Not a good news but saved me $1000 for a surveryor and frustration of unnecessary confrontation with neighbor.

I wonder if there are any specifics for the ROW? I didn't find any documents, his deed just says he has ROW to his property via mine and a map.

Also how come my deed doesn't mention this right of way but his deed does? This was not disclosed during sale. Do I have any recourse?
You need to talk to your attorney.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:05 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
In which state(s) would the situation described by the OP constitute effective adverse possession?
The situtation which was originally described would not have qualified for adverse possession but, rather, potentially for a prescriptive easement. It's a similar concept but entails use, not possession, of real property (most often for an easement for access). The length of the continuous use required varies by state, but in Michigan the requirement is for 15 years.

Of course, this is all a moot point since the the OP has reported that the neighbor already has an easement. The OP could ask if the neighbor would be willing to relinquish the easement, but it's unlikely that the neighbor would simply give away his easement rights.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
The situtation which was originally described would not have qualified for adverse possession but, rather, potentially for a prescriptive easement. It's a similar concept but entails use, not possession, of real property (most often for an easement for access). The length of the continuous use required varies by state, but in Michigan the requirement is for 15 years.
Thanks. I knew that, but I wasn’t sure if Chas863 knew that. I was curious if the rules of adverse possession were different in his area.

Quote:
Of course, this is all a moot point since the the OP has reported that the neighbor already has an easement. The OP could ask if the neighbor would be willing to relinquish the easement, but it's unlikely that the neighbor would simply give away his easement rights.
Yep, I saw that after my post.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:41 PM

351 posts, read 161,143 times
Neighbor should be crazy to give up right of way voluntary. So now I need to figure out if I have a title insurance case or not. My deed says that my premises are free and clear of all encumbrances except of: blah-blah-blah, and there is no mention of this right of way. The deed also refers to a map which I found on town website and that's where I see the right of way easement. I also see this right of way easement on deeds associated with the neighboring property (the earliest evidence is 1988).

I'll check with real estate attorney but would appreciate input here too.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2023, 06:55 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
You might want to take a look at this:

"Adverse Possession: Continuous Trespassers' Rights
Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last reviewed September 05, 2018

Legally Reviewed

Fact-Checked

Trespassing, the act of entering someone's private property without permission, is illegal. But when a trespasser continues trespassing for an extended period of time, the law may give the trespasser the right to stay on (or pass through) the land under certain circumstances. Typically, however, the trespasser must be living on the land exclusively, openly (without trying to be evasive), and in some case must pay property taxes or even make improvements to the property. This right is known as "adverse possession." These rights range from the right to live on the land, to the right to pass across it to get somewhere else. In some cases, these laws are helpful for homeowners who have inherited property passed down through generations but who lack actual title documentation."

https://www.findlaw.com/realestate/l...rs-rights.html

Old 08-07-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last reviewed September 05, 2018

Legally Reviewed

Fact-Checked

Trespassing, the act of entering someone's private property without permission, is illegal. But when a trespasser continues trespassing for an extended period of time, the law may give the trespasser the right to stay on (or pass through) the land under certain circumstances. Typically, however, the trespasser must be living on the land exclusively, openly (without trying to be evasive), and in some case must pay property taxes or even make improvements to the property. This right is known as "adverse possession." These rights range from the right to live on the land, to the right to pass across it to get somewhere else. In some cases, these laws are helpful for homeowners who have inherited property passed down through generations but who lack actual title documentation."

I’m very aware of what constitutes Anvers possession. But that’s not the question that I asked you.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Legally Reviewed

Fact-Checked

I took a look at it and thought that it was poorly written.

Old 08-08-2023, 03:11 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,711,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I took a look at it and thought that it was poorly written.
It may not have been the best written, but I think it was written well enough to understand the intent and meaning of the law. Do you disagree that someone frequently traversing over another person's property unobstructed and without permission for many years could be "adverse possession" in some states?

Old 08-08-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
It may not have been the best written, but I think it was written well enough to understand the intent and meaning of the law. Do you disagree that someone frequently traversing over another person's property unobstructed and without permission for many years could be "adverse possession" in some states?
I have yet to hear of a state where simply walking across someone's property would be sufficient for a claim for adverse possession. If you happen to know of such a state, please feel free to let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals