Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 05:49 PM

39 posts, read 47,042 times

Advertisements

In two weeks I’m moving to an area where new construction homes are selling quickly. To try to beat the crowd, I jumped into the city’s permit database to search for lots and floor plans of spec homes currently under construction that I would be interested in purchasing. I’m a cash buyer who is ready to purchase ASAP! (Will be renting a VRBO while searching.)

So I sent a list of 8 addresses and builder names to the realtor I’ve met with and chosen (he has not asked me to sign an agreement yet). I asked him to contact each builder or builder’s listing agent, if applicable, to determine an approximate completion date and price for each home. His response to my email was, “Thanks for the comprehensive email.” That was three days ago and I’ve not heard back from him since. (He did, however, post a YouTube video today, so I’m sure he’s still alive )

Am I wrong in asking him to do this? Should I just contact the builders/listing agents myself? Or is trying to buy a new house in this manner just not done? Are there rules/regs prohibiting this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 06:46 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I don't see any problem. Just my $.02 worth. The worst case is that he ignores your inquiry/request.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
I've purchased many lots like this over the years in different states. Going on the cities database and finding the owners and dealing with them directly. Not everyone was receptive but I found several who were and bought some nice properties this way. As long as you're not under contract with your agent and since you haven't heard back from him in 3 days I'd contact the builders directly. Especially if houses are selling fast in that area I wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity while you're waiting for your realtor to get back to you. Like the old saying goes if you snooze you loose!

Old 03-23-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I don't see any problem. Just my $.02 worth. The worst case is that he ignores your inquiry/request.
So true! Considering talking to a different agent in the area about my strategy; see if he/she is on board from the start.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzScorpion12 View Post
I've purchased many lots like this over the years in different states. Going on the cities database and finding the owners and dealing with them directly. Not everyone was receptive but I found several who were and bought some nice properties this way. As long as you're not under contract with your agent and since you haven't heard back from him in 3 days I'd contact the builders directly. Especially if houses are selling fast in that area I wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity while you're waiting for your realtor to get back to you. Like the old saying goes if you snooze you loose!
My thoughts exactly! So glad to know this isn’t an unheard of strategy. It certainly makes sense to me. I’m going to continue down this path and will find an agent who agrees.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:11 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivaDog View Post
My thoughts exactly! So glad to know this isn’t an unheard of strategy. It certainly makes sense to me. I’m going to continue down this path and will find an agent who agrees.
Yes you need a new agent. Good agents approach builders ALL the time about what they have coming up.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivaDog View Post
In two weeks I’m moving to an area where new construction homes are selling quickly. To try to beat the crowd, I jumped into the city’s permit database to search for lots and floor plans of spec homes currently under construction that I would be interested in purchasing. I’m a cash buyer who is ready to purchase ASAP! (Will be renting a VRBO while searching.)

So I sent a list of 8 addresses and builder names to the realtor I’ve met with and chosen (he has not asked me to sign an agreement yet). I asked him to contact each builder or builder’s listing agent, if applicable, to determine an approximate completion date and price for each home. His response to my email was, “Thanks for the comprehensive email.” That was three days ago and I’ve not heard back from him since. (He did, however, post a YouTube video today, so I’m sure he’s still alive )

Am I wrong in asking him to do this? Should I just contact the builders/listing agents myself? Or is trying to buy a new house in this manner just not done? Are there rules/regs prohibiting this?
Those addresses you sent the realtor - i assume they were email addresses. Were they addresses for general mailboxes like info@xoxo.com? I wouldn't expect a quick reply from those general email addresses. Or a reply at all from some of them.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:45 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
We contacted a builder while a spec home was being framed. We were able to customize all of the things we wanted to customize as if we built the home. He was happy to work with us.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Those addresses you sent the realtor - i assume they were email addresses. Were they addresses for general mailboxes like info@xoxo.com? I wouldn't expect a quick reply from those general email addresses. Or a reply at all from some of them.
They were the addresses to the properties, not email addresses.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes you need a new agent. Good agents approach builders ALL the time about what they have coming up.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals