Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 04:05 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,214 times

Advertisements

I lost the only copy I had of my favorite holiday fudge recipe, and I can't find it anywhere online. I knew it as Kentucky Fudge but it probably has other names as well. Ingredients were sour cream (or buttermilk), baking soda, butter, and vanilla. I remember you're supposed to add the baking soda to the sour cream & let it react for 5 minutes, then add butter, boil to the soft-ball stage, add the vanilla and beat but I can't remember the proportions!!! Does this sound familiar to anyone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 05:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Default Is this it?

But note - no butter in this one . . . ????? Good luck!

Easy Does It Fudge

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3-1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 16 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

Cut two 12-inch lengths of foil, folding the cut edges so that each sheet of foil is 7-1/2 inches wide. Press into an 8-inch-square baking pan so that ends of foil hang over the sides. Spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Place the 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate in a food processor or blender and process until finely chopped, almost powdery.

Add the semisweet chocolate chips to the chopped unsweetened chocolate in a large bowl. Add the baking soda and toss until baking soda is evenly distributed. Set aside.

Using a Dutch oven, combine the sweetened condensed milk and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until bubbles appear along edges of the pan. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens beginning to look caramel colored, about 4 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and add the chocolate mixture and vanilla extract. Using your wooden spoon, stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the pecans and continue to stir until the fudge is no longer shiny and resembles stiff cookie dough. Transfer fudge to the foil-lined pan and spread evenly using a spatula. Place a sheet of wax paper on top and press firmly to distribute the fudge evenly. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour. Using the foil lining, carefully lift the fudge from the pan and cut into squares.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But note - no butter in this one . . . ?????
Nope, thats not it (but it does sound good)
The one I need has no chocolate in it at all, just the sour cream, baking soda, butter, and vanilla.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Default Kentucky Fudge

YUM. This may be the recipe I have wanted to find. Does the fudge turn out white and have a sweet, slightly tangy flavor to it? I think my neighbor calls it buttermilk fudge?

Can someone share the actual recipe, please?

Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
YUM. This may be the recipe I have wanted to find.
It turns out kind of creamy tan when Sour Cream is used, but may be white with buttermilk. It is very sweet & caramel-like. If you find the recipe, please share! thanks!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
Default Southern Living Recipes

I found both in my SL Ultimate cookbook. I haven't tried either one, and neither says anything about a reaction. I hope this helps and that maybe one of these is the one you're looking for. Good luck!

Buttermilk Fudge

2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Butter sides of a heavy 4-quart saucepan; add sugar and next 4 ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 18 minutes or until candy thermometer registers 236 degrees. Remove from heat, and cool, undisturbed, until temperature drops to 180 degrees (about 15 minutes).

Add pecans, if desired, and vanilla; beat with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens and just begins to lose its gloss (about 5 minutes). Quickly pour into a buttered 9-x5-inch loafpan. Cool completely; cut into squares. Yield: 3 dozen squares (1 1/4 pounds).

Sour Cream Fudge

2 cups sugar
Pinch of salt
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Butter sides of a heavy saucepan. Combine sugar, salt, and sour cream in pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring contstantly, until sugar dissolves. Cover and cook over medium heat 2 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan. Uncover and cook, stirring constantly; until candy thermometer registers 232 degrees. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons butter.

Beat with a wooden spoon until mixture thickens and begins to lose its gloss (4 or 5 minutes). Spread evenly in a buttered 8-inch square pan or 9-x5-inch loafpan. Cool and cut into squares. Yield: 25 squares (1 pound).

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-31-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: spelling typo

Old 12-31-2007, 03:46 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Default Thank you for sharing

Oooh, can't wait to try it. I just loved the Buttermilk Fudge a neighbor included in my goodies this year.

How badly do I need a candy thermometer, by the way? I have always had fudge and toffee turn out just cooking it the suggested time(s). Where do you purchase one? and is there a style of thermometer better than, say, another? Years ago, I bought three different meat thermometers before I found one I really liked and trusted.

Old Today, 01:36 AM

1 posts
Default Southern Kentucky Fudge

I too had a recipe that was called Southern Kentucky Fudge (if memory serves). I lost the recipe, but have recreated it from memory. I made it today and it turned out well. It is a caramel tasting fudge.

Southern Kentucky Fudge (caramel fudge)

2 cups of white sugar
1 cup of light brown sugar
1 cup of buttermilk
2 T corn syrup
1/3 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of baking soda – add another ½ teaspoon if needed
5 tablespoons of butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla

It turned out somewhat firm. I cooked it to the soft ball stage. It was a bit firm, like British fudge, but I like it like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes