Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

Hi - would love some help on this. I've been at a building for 17 years which is an executive style. I signed a 1 year lease 7 years ago and thought after the lease was up it became a month to month since nothing was said (big mistake on my end). I went to give my 30 days and my landlord said I'm liable until Oct 31st as I have an automatic renewal in my lease. First I've ever even heard of this type of lease.

I'm in California and I'm reading that he has to give notice each year that it's renewing but I'm getting mixed information if that is applied to commercial leases.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Is there an online less expensive lawyer I can ask?

Thank you for the help

below is the clause

10. RENEWAL/NOTICE REQUIREMENT. UNLESS CANCELLED AS PROVIDED BELOW, THIS AGREEMENT WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW FOR THESAME PERIOD OF TIME AS THE INITIAL TERM WITH A 6% INCREASE FOR THE OFFICE(S) ANO/OR SERVICES.THE RENT SHALL BE INCREASED BY 6% EVERY 12 MONTH PERIOD. IF YOU HAVE
LESS THAN 3 OFFICES, YOU MUST GIVE WRITTEN NOTICE 60 DAYS PRIOR TO THE DATE YOUR AGREEMENT IS SCHEDULED TO TERMINATE IN ORDER TO CANCEL YOUR RENEWAL. IF YOU HAVE 3 OFFICES OR MORE, YOU MUST GIVE WRITTEN NOTICE 90 DAYS PRIOR TO THE DATE YOUR AGREEMENT IS SCHEDULED TO TERMINATE IN ORDER TO CANCEL YOUR RENEWAL. SUCH NOTICE MUST ONLY BE DELIVERED ON THE FIRST DAY OF ANY GIVEN MONTH. IF SUCH NOTICE IS DELIVERED ON ANY
OTHER DAY, IT SHALL BE DEEMED TO HAVE BEEN DELIVERED ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE FOLLOWING MONTH. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, IRVINE RANCH Executive Suites MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT AFTER EXPIRATION OF THE INITIAL T M FOR ANY REASON WITH 30 DAYS NOTICE TO YOU. BY INITIALING IN
THE PLACE PROVIDED BELOW, YOU HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE ENEWAL PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 03:26 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If that is the provision of the lease you initially signed and you did not give notification in the manner described in the lease and you have paid the increase amount as stated in the auto renewal section, YES, you are bound to the auto renewal and your commercial lease did renew as described it the original lease.
The legality of the renewal can be found in Adv. Corp. v. Wikman (1986) 178 Cal. App. 3d 61

Old 02-23-2024, 04:31 PM

Thank you Rabrrita for the reply. What about The Automatic Renewal Law (ARL) in California is governed by California Business and Professions Code (Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code), specifically Section 17600123. This law regulates automatic renewal provisions in contracts, including leases, and aims to ensure transparency and consumer protection.

From what I'm reading in 2022 this updated law says that the landlord needs to send notice 15-45 days before it auto-renews to help protect the end user and so they understand it's being renewed. From what I'm seeing this was updated in 2022 but I can determine if it applies or not.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:28 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I’m not knowledgeable in this area, but just reading these quoted segments one thing strikes me.

The leasor must notify he is NOT renewing 60 days in advance of the automatic renewal yet the landlord is only required to send a reminder 15-45 days ahead of time.

Useless?

Old 02-24-2024, 07:04 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrit View Post
Thank you Rabrrita for the reply. What about The Automatic Renewal Law (ARL) in California is governed by California Business and Professions Code (Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code), specifically Section 17600123. This law regulates automatic renewal provisions in contracts, including leases, and aims to ensure transparency and consumer protection.

From what I'm reading in 2022 this updated law says that the landlord needs to send notice 15-45 days before it auto-renews to help protect the end user and so they understand it's being renewed. From what I'm seeing this was updated in 2022 but I can determine if it applies or not.
ARL applies to consumer auto renewals such as if you have a magazine subscription, or a vitamin package, or ED pills, or an alarm monitoring contract, or a phone plan, or vehicle service contract, (see the pattern?) and you don't cancel by X date it auto renews for another term. The burden is now on the service provider to make proper notification. Commercial property leases are not covered by that regulation.

To add: commercial leases do not auto renew unless it's stated in the lease and if the terms of that auto renew is enacted. That's why I asked if you actually paid the increase.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:44 PM

yes we paid the increase as the invoices always just get updated with the increase and we have always paid it. Yes looking at this lease it seems a little slimy that he can kick me out with 30 days notice but I'm stuck in a continual year lease without acknowledging it.

ok so bottom line it sounds like I'm stuck paying double rent (rent for me new location and keep paying my old office) until we can find a sublease. Is that correct?

Any use getting a lawyer to see if we can break it or will that be a waste of money?

Thank you for the help on this...even though it's bad news

Old 02-25-2024, 05:25 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrit View Post

Any use getting a lawyer to see if we can break it or will that be a waste of money?
Been involved with commercial leases for a couple of decades. The time you should have paid for a lawyer was when you were signing the lease, not now.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:43 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I’m not knowledgeable in this area, but just reading these quoted segments one thing strikes me.

The leasor must notify he is NOT renewing 60 days in advance of the automatic renewal yet the landlord is only required to send a reminder 15-45 days ahead of time.

Useless?
good obs....that might be the OPs out

Old 02-25-2024, 05:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Can't hurt to contact a lawyer especially if Cali law requires a notice to be sent prior to auto renewal.

Old 02-25-2024, 03:23 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Can't hurt to contact a lawyer especially if Cali law requires a notice to be sent prior to auto renewal.
He could be better off talking to a Lessor and negotiating a buy out of lease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting