Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 02:15 PM

8,656 posts, read 4,872,585 times

Advertisements

I’m kind of in sausage hell - I’m not much of an Italian sausage fan, nor kielbasa. Andouille and cheddar jalapeño are more my style but takes a wee bit of digging to find sometimes. So, I decided to expand my horizons and try a red hot.

I first mistakenly assumed it was a sausage. After asking a second person, Zweigle’s apparently sells these as “Texas” hot dogs. I had to chuckle at the irony of naming it something where I can expertly say these don’t exist.

Will report later how they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2024, 02:25 PM

8,169 posts, read 12,906,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m kind of in sausage hell - I’m not much of an Italian sausage fan, nor kielbasa. Andouille and cheddar jalapeño are more my style but takes a wee bit of digging to find sometimes. So, I decided to expand my horizons and try a red hot.

I first mistakenly assumed it was a sausage. After asking a second person, Zweigle’s apparently sells these as “Texas” hot dogs. I had to chuckle at the irony of naming it something where I can expertly say these don’t exist.

Just make sure you cook them on a grill or in a pan until they pop open. I grew up in the Rochester area and my Dad had a sister that lived in Maine. He sent her a pack of white hots (my preferred type) but didn't explain how to cook them. She wasn't a fan of them as she boiled them instead of grilling.

Old 05-23-2024, 03:02 PM

5,798 posts, read 4,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post

Try the white ones. I love them without any condiments.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:49 AM

8,656 posts, read 4,872,585 times
Well, the red hots were delicious! Not really like a hot dog, it had a bit more of a sausage flavor. And it’s plump and moist. Chalk up a win for these.

Texas SHOULD have these!

Old 05-24-2024, 08:19 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,357,540 times
Glad to hear you enjoyed! Zweigles remain the best hot dogs I’ve had nationwide. White hots are a must try too, although people seem to either love or hate them. More of an acquired taste (they are made with veal).

As a Rochester native, I actually never understood why they’re called “Texas hots” since there is no Texas connection. The city used to be dotted with restaurants carrying that term (e.g. Mark’s Texas Hots). Most just shortened it to “hots” over the years.

Old 05-24-2024, 09:32 AM

5,704 posts, read 4,024,601 times
Apparently the 'Texas Hot' (originally called a 'Hot Texas Wiener', amusingly enough) was invented in Paterson, New Jersey of all places. We may well be celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Texas Hot, since the included Library of Congress link mentions that it was invented 'around 1924'. Buffalo has a few remaining purveyors of 'Texas Hots', though they are a bit of a dying breed. Louie's is/was a well-known local chain that advertised selling them, but the Louie's location nearest me has recently been replaced by Popeye's, and it seems like hot dogs in general are a bit less popular than they used to be (although local favorite chain Ted's seems to still be going relatively strong). Give people enough years of exposure to talk of their carcinogenic nitrates and maybe dietary habits shift away from them. I still enjoy a couple every now and again

https://www.loc.gov/collections/work...own%20Paterson.

Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,357,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Apparently the 'Texas Hot' (originally called a 'Hot Texas Wiener', amusingly enough) was invented in Paterson, New Jersey of all places. We may well be celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Texas Hot, since the included Library of Congress link mentions that it was invented 'around 1924'. Buffalo has a few remaining purveyors of 'Texas Hots', though they are a bit of a dying breed. Louie's is/was a well-known local chain that advertised selling them, but the Louie's location nearest me has recently been replaced by Popeye's, and it seems like hot dogs in general are a bit less popular than they used to be (although local favorite chain Ted's seems to still be going relatively strong). Give people enough years of exposure to talk of their carcinogenic nitrates and maybe dietary habits shift away from them. I still enjoy a couple every now and again

https://www.loc.gov/collections/work...own%20Paterson.
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this tidbit of American history, “Texas Hot” is certainly a better name than “Hot Texas Weiner”

In some ways it does seem like hot dogs are a leftover relic from the 20th century. With Memorial Day weekend upon us, obviously millions of people will be enjoying them, but they’re not a staple on very many menus that I come across and my anecdotal observation is that the “hot dog cooler” of the grocery store seems to be shrinking in size, at least compared to when I was a kid.

Old 05-24-2024, 09:45 AM

6,629 posts, read 3,272,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
........As a Rochester native, I actually never understood why they’re called “Texas hots” since there is no Texas connection. The city used to be dotted with restaurants carrying that term (e.g. Mark’s Texas Hots). Most just shortened it to “hots” over the years.
I believe because of their larger size, tying in with the phrase, "Everything is bigger in Texas"..........

Old 05-24-2024, 10:24 AM

5,704 posts, read 4,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing this tidbit of American history, “Texas Hot” is certainly a better name than “Hot Texas Weiner”

In some ways it does seem like hot dogs are a leftover relic from the 20th century. With Memorial Day weekend upon us, obviously millions of people will be enjoying them, but they’re not a staple on very many menus that I come across and my anecdotal observation is that the “hot dog cooler” of the grocery store seems to be shrinking in size, at least compared to when I was a kid.
Yeah, maybe that'll be the subject of my next Google search--American hot dog consumption in say 1990 vs now. When I was a kid, hot dogs seemed to be everywhere during the summer. Perhaps another factor in their suspected decline (aside from the nutritional concerns I mentioned in my other post) is that people may well be doing less grilling in nice weather these days, as generally people are more sedentary and indoor-oriented thanks to technological addiction (yeah, I'll call it addiction). The gradual shift of the population to the Sun Belt, which theoretically offers a longer grilling season, is probably not enough to offset the gradual shift of the population to the couch and computer chair.

...but in the meantime, I've gotta go grab lunch myself, and in honor of you Rochester people, the Wegmans across the street from where I currently sit is the destination, hah

Old 05-24-2024, 11:36 AM

120 posts, read 52,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I believe because of their larger size, tying in with the phrase, "Everything is bigger in Texas"..........
This probably makes sense. They are larger almost jumbo sized vs. typical frankfurters and their casing seems to capture much more flavor. Well before Zweigle’s was popular, I remember Tobins a popular regional brand back in the day that carried a great Texas Hot. I also think there may have been a few other establishments before Mark’s with Texas Hots in their name.

Ironically in Texas, many restaurants sell “Coney Island” style hot dogs which here are skinless, steamed (warm at best), and totally tasteless. So I often buy a couple of packs of Zweigle’s and always some of the hot sauce mix at the airport when flying back to Houston.

While I’m not partial to white hots, my uncle used to fill up his trunk with them when in town or insist we do the same when we visited because he couldn’t get them in White Plains or anywhere close.

Zweigle’s you gotta love em! Glad to hear JCP does too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area