Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 09:22 PM

57 posts, read 272,785 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about moving to the Placerville area, or somewhere in that general vicinity. We are living in Southern Oregon now. I am very familiar with the Sierra foothills because I am a Sacramento native and lived there for 55 years before moving to Oregon. But I've been gone for almost 15 years, so my experiences are outdated.

Generally, I'd like to know about crime, homelessness, and the fire/smoke situation there. I know fire is always a risk in forested areas (I am surrounded by forests now), but how bad has the smoke been around there? Where we are now, we can pretty much bet on half of summer being ruined by smoke from area fires.

I am an avid cyclist, so this does not sit well with me at all. Although our winters aren't as severe as in many other places, it does tend to be long compared to what I was used to in Sacramento. So when smoke moves in halfway through summer it is especially frustrating and maddening, considering the shortened riding season even in a year without smoke.

I am retired so don't need to worry about where to work, but my wife is still working (she is a Physical Therapist) so she may end up working in Folsom or Roseville, possibly even in Sacramento. I know what a traffic nightmare Hwy 50 can be.

I have family in the general Sacramento area so I know homelessness has gotten much worse since I left, but that seems to be the case in many places. Just curious how bad it is in the foothills. The same goes for crime. Here in Southern Oregon crime, such as car theft, has increased dramatically since I've moved here, no doubt due to escalating drug issues. I'd imagine it's similar in many places but would just like to hear specifically about the Hwy 50 corridor up to about Placerville.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 02:07 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
El Dorado Hills is a solidly upper middle class suburb, with a few well heeled neighborhoods as well. After that is Cameron Park, a foothill community that has developed into an outer suburb that sprawls right into El Dorado Hills. It's more of a middle class vibe there. Once you leave Cameron Park it gets much more semi rural in feel as you get out to Placerville.

Old 04-12-2023, 03:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,042 times
Serrano in El Dorado Hills would be right for you. The wealthy elite like Newsom live there so you would be right at home.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:31 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Serrano in El Dorado Hills would be right for you. The wealthy elite like Newsom live there so you would be right at home.
Doesn't Newsom live in Fair Oaks, in Sacramento County?

Old 04-12-2023, 06:49 PM

57 posts, read 272,785 times
Quote:
Not sure where you got the idea that we are the "wealthy elite." Pretty sure Serrano doesn't allow 26-year-old 5th wheels, 36-year-old truck campers and probably would shun us for our old vehicles as well ('90, '93 and '03). But you go ahead and keep practicing guessing random strangers' social status. Someday you might get better at it.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Doesn't Newsom live in Fair Oaks, in Sacramento County?
he did at one time but got tired of protestors and sold/moved to Serrano gated estate in El Dorado Hills.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplygib View Post
Not sure where you got the idea that we are the "wealthy elite." Pretty sure Serrano doesn't allow 26-year-old 5th wheels, 36-year-old truck campers and probably would shun us for our old vehicles as well ('90, '93 and '03). But you go ahead and keep practicing guessing random strangers' social status. Someday you might get better at it.
Well here is some raw data on how expensive EDH is compared to rest of Sacramento

https://www.redfin.com/city/22489/CA...housing-market

El Dorado Hills Single family home
Median Sale Price
$800,000

Sacramento single family home average price
https://www.redfin.com/city/16409/CA...housing-market
Sacramento Housing Market Trends

Median Sale Price
$465,000

So almost TWICE the cost of average home in EDH versus Sacramento so yeah right just saying you need $$$$$ to buy there compared to rest of the area well maybe Granite Bay and East Sacramento, Loomis and parts of Folsom too very expensive. Anyone shopping for house in EDH needs to have huge money to buy. Not making assumptions just saying what it costs to buy there and I cannot afford it so I must be poor lol!

Old 04-13-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
he did at one time but got tired of protestors and sold/moved to Serrano gated estate in El Dorado Hills.
Disappointing. You can take the boy out of Marin County, but...

Old 04-13-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Disappointing. You can take the boy out of Marin County, but...
Yeah he is a real POS worst governor in CA history. Let us pray he does not become the next POTUS as bad as potato joe and cackling kammie are.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:56 PM

Wow, lots of hostility there. I will politely disagree, he's kind of conservative for my tastes (much like Biden) but they beat the hell out of the alternative (both metaphorically and in elections), it's just sad that he was less interested in urban life than Brown and didn't want to stay in the mansion. But dang, sonny, maybe skip that 8-shot frapaloolio at Dutch Bros before you post? Anyhow, good luck to the original poster finding your foothills dream spot, and sorry about the derail of your thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento