Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 11:49 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times

Advertisements

I may spend a weekend in February in the area of Westmoreland / south Salton Sea, and am thinking of car camping in Slab City for the nights and ‘commuting’ from there each day. I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I sleep in the back.

My Grand Cherokee is a pretty nice vehicle and I’m reading some articles that say how Slab City is quite poor and the people are downtrodden.

Is this a cause for concern? I’d also like to drive around and walk around Slab City to see the interesting sights and maybe meet some of the people.

Is this reasonable? Or is it not advisable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 11:12 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
"Slab City" is quite full of people that don't want to be found, if you get my drift. Personally, this is the LAST place to take a nice vehicle. You'd be a target. (And yes, they ARE armed to the teeth.)

It's a fun place to visit during the day, as long as you keep yer nose clean. Night time, it's different.

Don't engage in conversation with any of the locals, as they don't want to be bothered. Other tourists? Fine. But not locals.

If you can, try to co-ordinate your visit with a NEW moon. If you have a small telescope, or even bino's, it's worth the show.

While you're out thata way, you might as well visit the Banana Museum, Bombay Beach, and the Ski Inn. (They have decent hamburgers.) Enjoy your visit to the "Lowest Tavern in the Northern Hemisphere..."

Old 12-12-2021, 12:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
"Slab City" is quite full of people that don't want to be found,

Which is ironic in a way when people are asking travel advice to there on this forum. Maybe segueing this excursion into a tour of the Khyber Pass would be in order.

But seriously, there's lots of nice unofficial car camping on the NE side of the water since the OP has 4wd. Unless there's some deeper layer here, I can't see wanting to waste much time hanging out with pedos and general riff raff at slab city.

Old 12-17-2021, 08:36 PM

148 posts, read 175,778 times
It's like an artsy homeless encampment in the desert that is less lawful than the rest of the country.

Old 12-18-2021, 06:27 PM

I’ve been to Bombay Beach and said hello to some locals. It was an, uhh, interesting conversation. The Ski Inn, Banana Museum — I may check those out. Thanks for the tip.

And thanks for the word on Slab City. If I go I’ll be careful. And I may bring ammo. :-)

Old 12-20-2021, 08:41 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
I am an RVer and have known of Slab City for many years, want to visit sometime, but have not yet made it that far west. I regularly look up whatever information I can find to try to keep up to date on conditions there.

While it was a regular RV destination for retirees during winter months, supposedly the popularity of crystal meth, and later the opioid apocalypse, have deteriorated the living conditions. A lot of thefts, random violence, etc. Not as many snowbirds now.

A few tips I have picked up are that if you attend a Friday night show at the amphitheater you need to have someone in your group stay back at your camp so nothing gets stolen. In fact, you should always have someone in camp at all times. If you are alone at the amphitheater, you might end up with someone in your face trying to start a fight for no reason at all. The risk of that happening increases as the night goes on.

For solo travelers, there are a few hostels or organized camps that offer a safe place to stay, for a donation or fee, which sort of defeats that ‘last free place on earth’ slogan that the slabs have. Might be an option if you really want to stay there overnight.

There are also other free or very cheap places to camp on public land around Salton Sea. Do a search for ‘free camping’. My plan was to camp at Salton Sea, and visit the slabs during the day.

Please post a follow-up message or send me a PM with details of your experience there.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:06 PM

My plans might change, som I may not go. But if I do go then I’ll send an update.

I guess Slab City isn’t the mild-mannered place seen in movies like Into the Wild and Nomadland.

Old 12-21-2021, 04:51 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
I believe it was like Into the Wild in its prime. Had thought of taking an early retirement and living there on the cheap. However, based on most of the information I've found over the years, it has really deteriorated.

The city of Niland's chamber of commerce had an RV dump station and fresh water fill for a reasonable fee, so it was really convenient for RVs. However, I believe those services were closed a number of years ago. Maybe someone knows if that has re-opened or if there are any plans to do so.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,288 times
there are many videos, about Slab City, on youtube.

Old 10-01-2023, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 700 times
I would be cautious. Like every place that one goes, you’ll find both good and bad people. I’ve been wanting to go camp there just to experience the place. I read good reviews of slab city as well as some bad. I read this story a few days ago that was a little troubling.

[url]https://historicaltruthproject.com/2023/09/25/i-was-hunted-in-slab-city/[/url]

It’s the first person account of a young man who says he was was hunted/chased there, according to the author of the story. The story was at once a good read and also troubling. People have bedn murdered there and I don’t profess to know if the story is true, false or if the events were just exaggerated. Based on this story, I’ve decided to take some else with me on my camping trip and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties