Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2024, 02:31 PM

15 posts, read 7,177 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a discreet wifi surveillance camera that I can move around a commercial property for investigations. I'm hoping to stay at $200 or less and be able to receive alerts on an app or email in case the camera is discovered and stolen/vandalized.

I considered a Blink camera, but I don't want an ongoing subscription. I can put large SD cards in a camera or attach a USB storage device if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 05:00 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Sounds kind of nefarious. There was a guy in January who posted that he was looking for a wifi camera that he could hide.

Isnt part of the purpose of having a security camera is the visual deterrence? Why discreet? Will it need to be connected to the commercial property's wifi?

Old 04-11-2024, 07:41 PM

15 posts, read 7,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Sounds kind of nefarious. There was a guy in January who posted that he was looking for a wifi camera that he could hide.

Isnt part of the purpose of having a security camera is the visual deterrence? Why discreet? Will it need to be connected to the commercial property's wifi?
I didn't ask for a pinhole bathroom camera. I conduct investigations at a well known company. I'm just not familiar with portable wifi cameras besides the ones marketed for your house. That may be what I go with.

I'll register for a security forum. I just get a ton of sales pitches and spam, and I'm trying to avoid that.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:10 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
In other words your requirements are small, SD card, and battery? What does a homeowner type camera not do?

Last edited by akrausz; 04-12-2024 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-13-2024, 12:57 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Indoor or outdoor use?
Sounds like he needs something like a spy cam or nanny cam.
Typically, due to their low profile, they would have to be either hidden inside an air duct or something like that.
There are some cameras that come already hidden inside an common household item like a smoke detector or plant (for indoor use). For exterior/outdoor, your best bet is probably a wild life cam that you would have to hide in a bush or on a tree.
More expensive ones come already disguised to blend in with nature and even solar panels to charge themselves.

Some indoor models to have Wi-Fi but then which Wi-Fi would they connect to? If you are piggybacking onto someone else's wireless, they could easily be detected and their cover blown.

For remote monitoring, you might be better off with a camera that supports a large TF/SD card and long battery life and adjust its motion sensitivity according to your needs. Wild Life cameras typically have a Video/Photo option as well so if a series of photos (1-2 secs apart) would suffice, instead of video recording, you could opt for photo mode to prolong battery life as well as the memory card usage. Night vision mode is also available but can suck up battery a little faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology