Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 10:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,271,755 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a greenhouse heater powered by a solar panel setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 02:30 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Has anyone used a greenhouse heater powered by a solar panel setup?
What are to calling a greenhouse heater? I owned/ran a commercial greenhouse and the extremely large amount of solar power needed to actually make even a very small difference in heating is extremely cost prohibitive.

Old 12-15-2023, 03:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
What are to calling a greenhouse heater? I owned/ran a commercial greenhouse and the extremely large amount of solar power needed to actually make even a very small difference in heating is extremely cost prohibitive.
Yes, I looked into it for mine. The problem is the number of batteries required to store enough power for a 1,500+ watt heater. For a small one like mine an oil-filled radiator type heater with a heavy duty extension cord worked. No moving parts or exposed elements.

Old 12-16-2023, 08:53 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
You might look into the New Alchemy Institute.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Alchemy_Institute
They hold the information on experiments done during the "Energy Crisis".
Some of their experiments were solar powered in novel ways.
Ex: They had vertical fish tanks made from Kalwall, that were heated by reflected sunlight from frozen ponds.
Unlike regular ponds, the "light enhanced" fish tanks did not freeze in winter, thus protecting their fish stock. When the sun angle was higher, the ponds did not reflect into the fish tanks so didn't overheat them in summer.

Old 12-21-2023, 01:28 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Do you know about dung?

Old 12-21-2023, 03:12 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
If you do this, you want to go with solar water heating panels, not solar photovoltaic. It will be more efficient and less expensive but it still won't be cheap.

Old 12-21-2023, 04:33 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
The absolute best thing is to plant things that need little light and can take cold temperatures during the winter months. It all sounds neat and cool to go green but the reality is adding lights and electric heat in a small green house is by far the best/cheapest solution.

Old 12-21-2023, 08:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Solar energy doesn't really translate to any type of resistance space heating due to the inefficiencies involved. If you live in a moderate climate a heat pump would make a lot more sense, but since you just need to heat the plants and not the entire greenhouse you could use infrared heat lamps or heated mats depending on what types of plants you are growing. It's a strategy you could try using grid or a generator first to prove the concept in your climate before investing in a bunch of panels and batteries. Infrared lights probably won't create the type of light that affects the photoperiod of plants that use daylight hours to determine flowering, but it's something you may want to rule out. If you are growing something where you WANT light during the night hours you can use regular heat lamps instead of infrared.

The greenhouses I have seen were heated with propane heaters. If you time it right you can also setup chick brooders near the heaters and "double dip" on the energy usage.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:01 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,271,755 times
Thanks for the help! Question answered.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:22 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Solar energy doesn't really translate to any type of resistance space heating due to the inefficiencies involved.
You are such a comedian.

I was there - during the Energy Crisis. I was a charter subscriber to RODALE'S NEW SHELTER magazine. I saw month after month of "solar powered" houses - active, passive, direct, indirect. They even published plans for solar heated SUNSPACES (chic speak for "greenhouses").
I saw double envelope, Trombe wall, louvered, Earthships, etc, etc.
. . .
However, it was true that the overall BEST performing solution was SUPERINSULATION. See the Saskatchewan Conservation House of 1979, IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness