Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 09:47 AM

142 posts, read 200,034 times

Advertisements

I cannot take NSAIDs because of stomach ulcers so for about a week now I have been taking Turmeric for arthritis pains.

Now I am wondering if this is not as bad as NSAIDs. I read where it increases acids in the stomach so I am thinking maybe I better stop taking it.

Can I get some thoughts on this and especially whether or not it is as bad for my stomach as NSAIDs. I was taking Aleve until 3 years ago when I had ulcers and my hemoglobin was found to be 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 04:59 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I can't answer your direct question about turmeric being bad for the stomach. If you are having a reaction to it, then stop and switch to something else.

However, you mention you have arthritis pain and an ulcer.
For the ulcer, DGL and zinc carnosine are recommended by Dr. M. Murray, N.D.
For arthritis pain, you could try tart cherry extract, glucosamine sulfate, MSM, and/or boswellia.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I've never had any issues with Turmeric, but I always take it on a full stomach too. Are you taking it before eating?

Old 07-12-2022, 05:44 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
How are you taking the turmeric? If it's in capsules it shouldn't cause GI issues. What about use of topical ointments (biofreeze, aspercreme,etc)? I think there is a turmeric based ointment also

Old 07-12-2022, 06:58 PM

142 posts, read 200,034 times
Thank you for all the replies.
About a week ago I started taking 1000 mgs of Turmeric 2 times a day in capsule form and always with meals.

Then I realized that if taking NSAIDs was the cause of the ulcers and loss of hemoglobin that I had a few years ago, this Turmeric might do the same thing. So I am wondering if the Turmeric does the same thing to the wall of the stomach as NSAIDS do?

BTW My Primary Health Care doctor knows about this but I have not discussed it with my GI doctor.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:54 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
I take tumeric twice a day for osteoarthritis knee pain. I also use Voltarin topical ointment and diclofenac.

If you want to know how turmeric affects your stomach, you should do your own research and/or consult your physician - not ask C-D posters. If you read other forums you will see just how scary answers can be.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:53 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslane View Post
I cannot take NSAIDs because of stomach ulcers so for about a week now I have been taking Turmeric for arthritis pains.

Now I am wondering if this is not as bad as NSAIDs. I read where it increases acids in the stomach so I am thinking maybe I better stop taking it.

Can I get some thoughts on this and especially whether or not it is as bad for my stomach as NSAIDs. I was taking Aleve until 3 years ago when I had ulcers and my hemoglobin was found to be 7.
Are you taking turmeric or Curcumin? Curcumin is the anti-inflammatory ingredient in tumeric.

https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...help-arthritis

There are also several formulations of Curcumin available on the market such as Curcumin 95, Meriva Curcumin, HydroCurc, C3 Curcumin, Theracurmin, CurcuWIN and others. I suggest researching them and finding out which one works for you.

Always take this supplement with food and avoid cheap drugstore and Walmart brands.

Last edited by capoeira; 10-05-2023 at 01:14 AM..

Old 10-05-2023, 06:21 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I use turmeric in a powder form that you buy at the grocery store in the spice aisle. It is also sold at most middle eastern or Indian grocery marts in a sealed plastic bag. Turmeric is an ingredient of curry, so widely used. I put a teaspoon into a pan stir fry of fresh mixed veggies that includes onion, garlic, red bell pepper and some chili powder. Garlic is another great anti-inflammatory, but I use garlic squeezed from the cloves, not garlic powder. Turmeric is a plant relative of ginger, which is yet another anti-inflammatory.

I always prefer turmeric as the dry powdered spice instead of a pill, which might contain other mystery stuff inside. Turmeric powder adds good flavor to many foods.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:24 PM

421 posts, read 280,729 times
I take a Turmeric and Curcumin combo supplement. I also take a glucosamine MSM supplement too. I have heard that cherry juice helps with arthritis too.

Old 12-21-2023, 09:32 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I agree with Volatrin, it's great. You might ask your Doctor if Celebrex would be ok with your ulcers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements