Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 01:14 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

Our Ipad is a 5th gen, bought around 2017. Last night there was an update and it showed the white screen (with a black apple) and the progress bar. It slowed down when it got to around 90% and edged closer and closer for hours. I wasn't sure what to do so I restarted it (by pressing and holding Power and Home). Then it went through the same process.

The next morning it was finally done. It is updated to 16.

Should it usually take that long?

We don't have a huge amount of disc space but it should be enough to work. I always hoped Apple would display more details during these updates so you can tell what's going on.

There should also be an easy way to cancel an update and return to normal usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 02:09 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Our Ipad is a 5th gen, bought around 2017. Last night there was an update and it showed the white screen (with a black apple) and the progress bar. It slowed down when it got to around 90% and edged closer and closer for hours. I wasn't sure what to do so I restarted it (by pressing and holding Power and Home). Then it went through the same process.

The next morning it was finally done. It is updated to 16.

Should it usually take that long?

We don't have a huge amount of disc space but it should be enough to work. I always hoped Apple would display more details during these updates so you can tell what's going on.

There should also be an easy way to cancel an update and return to normal usage.
No, I'd say that update went wonky. 5th gen iPad isn't particularly fast compared to newer ones, but the 16 updates I've done are in the 10-20 minute range.

As far as storage space goes, if you don't have enough, the update simply won't run. That said, if the device is in that grey area where there's enough to work, but almost completely full, it's probably going to be slow regardless.

As far as cancelling updates, that's a no-go. Once they start, you're in it for the long haul because of files being overwritten/updated/replaced. It's essentially a firmware update and you don't stop those, it breaks things and then you get to do a restore from iTunes.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:41 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Probably nothing.

When your computer is doing an update its only copying files into place.

It only truly does the update when you next boot it up. That's when new registry entries are made and associations put in place.

Worst case, you have to reinstall the update.

Still, not recommended. Unplugging the computer may corrupt the software and lead to issues with the operating system.

Was that a huge file and your Internet is slow, OP?

Old 11-12-2022, 12:25 PM

Our internet is not slow.

We just got another (small) update. Took place while sleeping, no problems.

Our storage is only half full. I don't know how to explain it.

Downloading files is not the prob. Installing is what took so long. Why would it take so long just to copy files??

Old 11-12-2022, 04:11 PM

Is there any way to find out how big was the file? Oh, nevermind. It's 5GB.
Here are typical times updates should take:
https://www.imobie.com/iphone-tips/h...pdate-take.htm

https://www.unictool.com/iphone-issu...s-ios-16-take/.

Last edited by elnina; 11-12-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 11-13-2022, 03:52 PM

538 posts, read 538,162 times
OP, I’m assuming you have “Update Automatically” checked. Is that the case?

Your 5th gen iPad is on the cusp of capable of updating to iOS 16. It sounds as if the update took place, albeit, many hours later.

Does your iPad start and work now? If so, is it running slowly - screens and apps opening slowly?

It’s always best to uncheck automatically update your iPad. There comes a time when an update will “work” on your device, but it slows to a crawl since your processor is not as capable of handling the new update.

With the automatic update unchecked, you will be alerted that there is a new update ready to be downloaded and installed. BEFORE downloading and installing that iOS update, research the update to see what other iPad users of your iPad have experienced.

Once an update is installed, there is no turning back the clock. Even if you attempt to return your iPad to its original state, the last iOS will remain on the device.

I learned all this the hard way.

Old 11-14-2022, 11:17 AM

As I've said before, Update Auto is set to OFF. Yet we get the updates anyway. They usually download and install during the night in sleep mode.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:09 PM

538 posts, read 538,162 times
Quote:
As I've said before, Update Auto is set to OFF. Yet we get the updates anyway. They usually download and install during the night in sleep mode.
I’m sorry, but nowhere in this thread do I see where you mentioned Automatic Updates is OFF.

As I said, if it is set to OFF, you should be alerted that an update is available, and you should have the option to download and install.

You never answered my question about how your iPad is working since the update to iOS 16. It’s tough to help without that information.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:28 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
That’s not how it is supposed to work. If Auto updating is off, you will eventually get a notification that an update is available, but it won’t actually update until you go in and click install.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about iPads but it's possible that you can delay any update for number of days, then the update is forced and happening after you restart your device. You need to check on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets