Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 08:57 PM

20 posts, read 13,217 times

Advertisements

So I check
Kayak
and Priceline (which allows you to check multiple prices)

And they all play website rip-off mind-games together in this terrible multi travel-cookies-website scam.

If you select on a flight for $500, by the time you arrive at check out it costs $1,200

How does one get around all the flight scams and grab real bomb deals?

Also interested in last minute international great deals it’s been a mess though

Most sites make it a royal pain to find the flights that are good deals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
Maybe you can find something here. Be sure you know your airline and airport codes first.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

Old 07-14-2023, 08:42 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perp_detective View Post
How does one get around all the flight scams and grab real bomb deals?

Also interested in last minute international great deals it’s been a mess though
How? Get your time machine tuned up and go back 10-15 years when those things existed with any frequency.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:33 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
I have SkyMiles so I only fly one airline. I book on a Tuesday for Saturday to Saturday travel to get the cheapest flights.

Old 07-14-2023, 01:59 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How? Get your time machine tuned up and go back 10-15 years when those things existed with any frequency.
Lol exactly right. International airfare in particular has really exploded price-wise in recent years (and way, way more so than inflation). There are no tricks for getting good deals, but the usual rules apply - travel offseason or shoulder season and not during school breaks whenever possible. Also, use Google flights to search broadly and flexibly - if you want to visit Europe for example you can plug in dates from your departure city and see a map of Europe with exact prices for each city. If you're dead set on Italy in the Summer, prepare to pay through the nose, but you might be surprised to find fun alternatives (in August 2022 we visited Sweden for around $600/person for non-stop airfare from NYC and stumbled across it using this method - and it was a wonderful trip).

Old 07-15-2023, 07:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
If you have a particular destination, you can enter it into fare finder apps, and they'll email you the bargains when they pop up. You must act fast, and sometimes use a VPN or switch browsers if a previous sale price placed a cookie on your browser. (Cannot repeat the low price). Often they're sold out quickly.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:49 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,201 times
Skiplagged. "Hidden city" deals can sometimes work. But you can't check luggage, or it will go to the final destination which you booked----- not the true arrival city you intend to visit and stay in.

Skiplagged has added their own stupid fee now. A product of their popularity and success, I guess.

How it works: (This is what we did: ) Book from Boston to Kailua-Kona in Hawaii on the Big Island. But we get off the plane in Honolulu, which is where we want to go. It was much cheaper to book to Kailua-Kona, somehow, which would have involved a stop and a wait and a change of planes. (Hawaiian Air.) Carry-on stuff travels with you, so we took it with us and simply left the airport.

The fact that such a crazy arrangement can be had just points out the crazy, illogical, arcane, esoteric crapola rip-off method the airlines use to set the prices of tickets. Motherlovers.
https://skiplagged.com/

Old 07-16-2023, 07:57 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Skiplagged. "Hidden city" deals can sometimes work. But you can't check luggage, or it will go to the final destination which you booked----- not the true arrival city you intend to visit and stay in.

Skiplagged has added their own stupid fee now. A product of their popularity and success, I guess.

How it works: (This is what we did: ) Book from Boston to Kailua-Kona in Hawaii on the Big Island. But we get off the plane in Honolulu, which is where we want to go. It was much cheaper to book to Kailua-Kona, somehow, which would have involved a stop and a wait and a change of planes. (Hawaiian Air.) Carry-on stuff travels with you, so we took it with us and simply left the airport.

The fact that such a crazy arrangement can be had just points out the crazy, illogical, arcane, esoteric crapola rip-off method the airlines use to set the prices of tickets. Motherlovers.
https://skiplagged.com/
And be sure to consider the consequences if the airline decides to object. Which they are doing more and more frequently.

https://www.distractify.com/p/why-is...%20this%20hack.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:09 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Kayak.com used to be a worthwhile site... now it's cluttered with info I don't want.

United's own site is a mess too.... Southwest's is a good model for what a flight-search site ought to be.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
....... Southwest's is a good model for what a flight-search site ought to be.
For one month about 5 yrs ago, SWA hade a "low fare finder", where you could specify a departure airport, then 'mouse over' their entire route map and see the price to any destination they fly to. That was a very handy way to find a great deal to a destination you might be interested to go to, but had not considered.

Google flights does this if you don't put in a destination. Quite handy to determine the least expensive hub to fly into, such as points in Europe and Asia.

One must be careful, as inexpensive routes may be several legs, or long layovers.

I'll embrace AI... Here's my profile, (carriers, route, class of service, seating preference, preference of time of day to travel, window of dates, preferred costs) find my options, and reserve me a spot (with free 24 hr cancellation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel