Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 12:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Three young girls were murdered on a Girl Scout camping trip in Oklahoma in 1977. The murder remains unsolved.

OKLAHOMA MYSTERIES: 1977 Camp Scott Girl Scout murders remain unsolved | Red Dirt Report

LOCUST GROVE, Okla. -- Three young girls were brutally murdered nearly 38 years ago in a wooded area that was once full of frolic and fun. Before that horrific day in 1977, it was a magic place for girls of the "Magic Empire" created for Girls Scouts to camp in and enjoy the wonders of the outdoors.

Camp Scott, located in Locust Grove, had been a retreat for Girl Scouts and Brownies since 1928. Its 410 wooded acres could accommodate 140 campers and 30 staff. The Cookie Trail road led to ten camping units scattered throughout the green beauty.

Two months before the murders, during a training session, a counselors' tent was ransacked and a note was left behind in a doughnut box. In the hand-written note, the writer declared that three campers would be murdered. The note was dismissed as a prank and trashed.

On the night of June 13, 1977, three girls were pulled from their Kiowa tent, bludgeoned, strangled, and sexually assaulted and left on a trail--two buried in their sleeping bags and another left, partially clothed nearby.

Lori Lee Farmer, 8, of Tulsa, Michele Guse, 9, of Broken Arrow, and Doris Denise Miller, 10, of Tulsa were discovered by camp counselor, Carla Willhite, while she was on her way to the showers at 6:00 a.m.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 02:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I know very little about the crime except what I've read and to say it was my brother-in-law who was, I believe, still an OK state trooper at the time at Locust Grove. He was the first law enforcement officer to enter the tent where the girls were.

I've never spoken too much to my BIL about the crime but it must have been a pretty horrible scene.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 10-08-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 PM

927 posts, read 968,774 times
I found a movie/interview on this case about 1 1/2 hour long that goes into details if anyone is interested. A very horrific crime this was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZWwPu9MaGA

Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I wonder if the handwriting in the note matched the handwriting of the suspect.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I know very little about the crime except what I've read and to say it was my brother-in-law who was, I believe, still an OK state trooper at the time at Locust Grove. He was the first law enforcement officer to enter the tent where the girls were.

I've never spoken too much to my BIL about the crime but it must have been a pretty horrible scene.
It would be interesting to hear anything he could share about this.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:49 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I think there was a book written about this particular crime I cant remember the name and the book is long gone.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:01 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
It would be interesting to hear anything he could share about this.
My sister calls me about once a week. I'll ask her the next time a little about what she has been told about the story. The last time I spoke to my BIL on the telephone, we only talked about some of his family history that I had found in my own database. He, like me, is getting up in age.

My BIL later became the Sheriff in Mayes County and he still lives in the County. He's an old USMC veteran and has witnessed and experienced some really terrible things during his life, both in Vietnam and during his many years in OK law enforcement. He doesn't talk much about this sort of stuff but he's still very astute and is loved by all of us.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
This was just a couple of years after the 3 girls mysteriously disappeared out of Ft Worth TX. There had to be some crazed serial killers at that time that were never tied to all these killings.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...190970694.html

Quote:
On Saturday, it will have been 43 years since Rachel Trlica, 17, Lisa Renee Wilson, 14, and Julie Moseley, 9, disappeared from what was then Seminary South Shopping Center.

The case shocked Fort Worth and left the families to painfully adjust to life without their children. Thousands of leads have been followed, dozens of searches completed and hundreds of people interviewed. All proved fruitless.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My sister calls me about once a week. I'll ask her the next time a little about what she has been told about the story. The last time I spoke to my BIL on the telephone, we only talked about some of his family history that I had found in my own database. He, like me, is getting up in age.

My BIL later became the Sheriff in Mayes County and he still lives in the County. He's an old USMC veteran and has witnessed and experienced some really terrible things during his life, both in Vietnam and during his many years in OK law enforcement. He doesn't talk much about this sort of stuff but he's still very astute and is loved by all of us.
I'll be waiting hear, it'll be interesting if he even wants to talk. Thanks for checking on it though anyway.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think there was a book written about this particular crime I cant remember the name and the book is long gone.
I believe there is, seen something on my internet searches when I found the movie. I only skimmed through the movie/ interview, if I get the time I'll watch the entirety and check on a book also. It was a long time ago and there is some DNA, but it's been unsuccessfully analysed two or three times if I recall correctly, To degraded and small amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime