Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2023, 06:24 AM

104 posts, read 108,095 times

Advertisements

San Juan has 2.37 million people in its CSA as of 2022, comparable to Las Vegas(2.38m) and Raleigh-Durham (2.33M). It's the largest Metropolitan area outside of the Lower 48 by far, being over twice the size of the Honolulu metro area (a bit under 1m), the second largest, but despite the size of the metropolitan area, Puerto Rico's status as a territory and not as a state makes it overlooked in most US city comparisons.

So, I aim to create this thread to compensate for all of that, trying to compare San Juan to the Other Metropolitan areas in the US in as many possible categories as I can think of. So, whether you're looking to move to the area like I am or just curious. I'll also fill in what I think I know.

1. Population: Just did that in the beginning

2. Cost of living: I asked another thread about this earlier. After reading that thread and some Google searching, what I found for the cost of living is interesting because the Jones Act made importing things from the lower USA, but unlike in Alaska and Hawaii, rent/property is still fairly cheap, creating 2 counteracting forces. Here's a website I got on the other thread I posted going into more detail

3. Economy/Jobs: Don't know a whole lot but I heard their economy, and by extension, Puerto Rico's, was historically based on Pharmaceutical manufacturing, but I don't know how much that has an impact now. Being in the Caribbean, there's tourism though, obviously, but I don't think it's as dominant as it is in Florida, I'm not too sure about that though.

4. Crime:

5. Walkability/Bikeablility/Transit: Being the oldest city in the United States (predating St. Augustine, Florida by several decades), development is fairly dense in the city, especially in Viejo San Juan. I like that it has a heavy rail metro line unlike metro areas in the US around its size which tend to use light rail, but like in Charlotte and several other cities, it's not as expansive as it needs to be and doesn't have airport connections. I've also heard mixed things about the bus system there as well

6. Shopping: Part of why I'm so attracted to Puerto Rico is the shopping, tell me what you think though

7. Nightlife:

8. Politics: Puerto Rico being a territory and not a state is obviously the big elephant in the room here with the whole island split on whether it wants to become a state or remain a territory. On the last referendum, I saw that San Juan voted in favor of remaining a territory, unlike most other municipalities and the territory as a whole which voted for statehood. I hear support for independence, which is historically low, growing among young people, but I hear conflicting things about this. I generally hear that Puerto Rico is purple on other issues, but my guess is that San Juan would be more liberal as all cities are more liberal than their surroundings, how liberal is San Juan compared to other American cities, I don't know

9. Suburbs:

10. Traffic: I hear it's pretty bad

11. Quality of life: I know this is subjective, so just tell me your personal opinion about it

12. Anything else of note?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 08:07 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,662,597 times
This is a rehash of the same question you posed around the same time last year. The comments I made on that thread a year ago still stand.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:57 PM

689 posts, read 638,689 times
I suggest going to Puerto Rico and seeing it yourself. First hand research will be more helpful. Rock Hill, SC is pretty close to Charlotte Airport. They have non-stop flights on American Airlines.

Old 12-11-2023, 03:31 AM

104 posts, read 108,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
This is a rehash of the same question you posed around the same time last year. The comments I made on that thread a year ago still stand.
Yeah I know there's overlap with that thread, but I worded this thread differently to be a bit more of a generic comparison. I just simply think it's a bit unfair that because it's in typical US city ranking lists, even ones that include metro areas in a similar size, because Puerto Rico is a territory and not a state, San Juan is almost never listed in these rankings.
It's even skipped in a video simply listing "every" USA metro with one million, so was aiming to create this as a one-stop shop thread to compensate for that but idk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories