Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 11:54 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

I have been doing quite a bit of research on NDEs and by all accounts it seems the spirit survives the death of the body. Not only that, the spirit goes on to a place of unimaginable beauty, love, total acceptance and peace and lives in communities of like-minded spirits whose spiritual bodies are able to engage in pretty much all the activities they engaged in here on earth, yes even sex.

However, some spirits resist leaving the earthly plane and want to "hang around" here. Though for the most part they cannot interact with humans there are times when the dimension they are in intersect with ours and we get an encounter with a ghost or apparrition.

Anyone have any thoughts on NDE's and the spirit leaving at death to go to heaven? Anyone ever encountered a spirit earthbound?

I am deliberately avoiding the Religion forums because I don't want the taint of Christian Fundamentalism polluting this topic so let's keep religion out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 01:26 PM

222 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I have been doing quite a bit of research on NDEs and by all accounts it seems the spirit survives the death of the body. Not only that, the spirit goes on to a place of unimaginable beauty, love, total acceptance and peace and lives in communities of like-minded spirits whose spiritual bodies are able to engage in pretty much all the activities they engaged in here on earth, yes even sex.

However, some spirits resist leaving the earthly plane and want to "hang around" here. Though for the most part they cannot interact with humans there are times when the dimension they are in intersect with ours and we get an encounter with a ghost or apparrition.

Anyone have any thoughts on NDE's and the spirit leaving at death to go to heaven? Anyone ever encountered a spirit earthbound?

I am deliberately avoiding the Religion forums because I don't want the taint of Christian Fundamentalism polluting this topic so let's keep religion out of it.
My dad had a near death experience in 1979 that changed his life. His experience was researched and documented in a book by Dr. Bruce Greyson a NDE research psychiatrist at the University of Virginia. Dad's NDE was fairly textbook-guiding angel-tunnel-light-seeing known deceased people-life review-spirit giving him a choice to stay or not. I won't bother with the minute details, but will say he became a strong Christian believer following it which I don't think pollutes the NDE.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
My dad had a near death experience in 1979 that changed his life. His experience was researched and documented in a book by Dr. Bruce Greyson a NDE research psychiatrist at the University of Virginia. Dad's NDE was fairly textbook-guiding angel-tunnel-light-seeing known deceased people-life review-spirit giving him a choice to stay or not. I won't bother with the minute details, but will say he became a strong Christian believer following it which I don't think pollutes the NDE.
I'm curious if you care to answer--why did your father turn to Christianity as opposed to just becoming more spiritual? For the record I am a Christian myself, I'm just not a Fundamentalist Christian. It is Fundamentalism that I believe pollutes the search for the truth.

Many people who have a NDE most often leave their Church and become more spiritual as opposed to becoming more "religious". Did your father say whether he met Spirit guides or loved ones when he crossed as opposed to the Fundamentalist construct of immediately going before the throne of God and being judged to go either to heaven or thrown into a fiery hell? Did he find his spirit hovering over his body for any length of time? Was he able to recount what was going on immediately after death and did he find he had a choice to hang around the earthly plane if he so chose?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm curious if you care to answer--why did your father turn to Christianity as opposed to just becoming more spiritual? For the record I am a Christian myself, I'm just not a Fundamentalist Christian. It is Fundamentalism that I believe pollutes the search for the truth.

Many people who have a NDE most often leave their Church and become more spiritual as opposed to becoming more "religious". Did your father say whether he met Spirit guides or loved ones when he crossed as opposed to the Fundamentalist construct of immediately going before the throne of God and being judged to go either to heaven or thrown into a fiery hell? Did he find his spirit hovering over his body for any length of time? Was he able to recount what was going on immediately after death and did he find he had a choice to hang around the earthly plane if he so chose?
Okay, you talked me into it. He was pronounced dead. He felt and saw his spirit leave his body and hover in the corner of the room ceiling level. He saw the doctors looking at the flat lined monitors. He said an angel, a lady in white, appeared and took his hand. A dark tunnel with a pinpoint of light appeared. Together they entered the tunnel. As he went through, her holding his hand, he looked down and saw deceased relatives and friends wearing, for lack of a better explanation, brown hooded monk robes that glowed around the edges with bluish light. He told me some of the people he saw were not dead yet, but in fact died after his NDE. As he went by the deceased, each turned their face toward him and told him it wasn't his time, go back etc.. When he reached the end the angel was gone. He then stood in front of a very bright yet soft yellowish light that filled the entire area in front of him. He could feel it but not touch it. Moments from his life played out before him like a movie. Things were in it that made little sense, like the time he took some cookies and hid them then lied to his mom about taking them. He said it was as if he could feel the pain she felt when she found the cookies. Once the movie ended the spirit beyond the warm yellowish light gave him the choice to either stay or go back. He said he felt compelled from what the deceased had said earlier to go back and because he knew life was finished. When he chose to go back he was instantly whisked back through the tunnel and woke up, much to the doctor's and my mother's surprise. He never said anything about going somewhere besides what he called heaven. He always said it's not what he will see but what he will feel that he awaited. It was comfort beyond comprehension were his exact words. My dad always said he was spiritual growing up though he had no church upbringing to speak of. He used to say as a boy he felt he was to be a priest or something. I know you will think this is direct opposition to what you've said, but he searched for a church for years before becoming an independent fundamental Baptist. He once told me he didn't want a bunch of bs, only God's word.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:54 PM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Several years I read various books on the topic but I don't have any personal knowledge of NDEs.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM

285 posts, read 426,824 times
You always hear about the "good" NDEs. I'm still skeptical

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
If NDE are real than answer the following for me:

1. Why did my father have no memory of an experience where according to his friends his heart had stopped and he wasn't breathing (until he was revived) because of carbon monoxide poisoning?

2. Why does a close relative who has had several experiences where she went into insulin shock and passed out and was near death have no memories of that?

3. Why do I have no memories of surgery of being out of my body when I have surgery or a medical procedure performed with anesthesia that renders me completely unconscious?

4. Why do so many of these experiences neatly fit religious beliefs of the people who have them?

Old 08-25-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

1. Why did my father have no memory of an experience where according to his friends his heart had stopped and he wasn't breathing (until he was revived) because of carbon monoxide poisoning?

2. Why does a close relative who has had several experiences where she went into insulin shock and passed out and was near death have no memories of that?

3. Why do I have no memories of surgery of being out of my body when I have surgery or a medical procedure performed with anesthesia that renders me completely unconscious?

4. Why do so many of these experiences neatly fit religious beliefs of the people who have them?
Who knows and who cares?

Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM

207 posts, read 336,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonpostal View Post
Who knows and who cares?
This ^. Nice post, well said.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Very simply, not everyone gets NDEs. Only a few do.

They don't fit everyone's religious views. In fact very rarely. The OP's father didn't see Jesus, and seeing dead people alive contradicts the Baptist view that people are dead as a stone until raised for judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal