Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 10:49 PM

62,145 posts, read 88,035,372 times

Advertisements

This apartment building has it all. Or hasn't?
The "dystopian" apartment, known as the Regent International, is located in Qianjiang Century City, notably in Hangzhou's major business district.
Regent International has previously gone viral on social media as a result of TikTok videos about the myriad amenities that it offers to residents.
Essentially, anything one might find "in town" can be found within the "dystopian apartment".
It offers some pretty impressive interiors, with flats that have a selection of different layouts.
Is that a utopia of convenience, or a dystopian nightmare?

Considering housing shortage, rising costs of living in the US and "desperate times call for desperate measures" would you want to live in such apartment when working from home?
You wouldn't even need to have a car and associated costs.

You can see it here:
https://www.indiatimes.com/trending/...ve-635458.html

Expat home presents two units ready for rent here:
https://expat-home.jimdofree.com/apartments-for-rent/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2024, 02:07 AM

30,469 posts, read 23,925,839 times
My first thought on seeing the second photo in the first link is that it looks like a pod in prison.

No way would I want to live like that. I want to go outside with my dog to play on the beach, or in a forest. I want to go outside when it's raining or snowing. I want to get into my car and explore.

I've lived in many apartments, or houses converted into 'apartments'. Sometimes I get lucky and have great neighbors, sometimes I get terrible neighbors. The less neighbors, the better they seem to be.

I can't deal with 30,000 neighbors right there, in my face, all day, every day. Someone will cook fish, or burn their popcorn, or smoke their marijuana and stink everything up. Some will play tv or music too loud. Some fight and argue all the time. You can't escape "that creepy guy", or the nosy Karen.

This sounds like hell on earth.

Hard 'no'.

Old 06-03-2024, 08:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,863 posts, read 81,892,720 times
I agree with Three Wolves, that does sound like Hell. Even on a day like today with our "atmospheric river" dumping rain and heavy winds I have been outside twice and it's only 7:36am. On the days I work in the office I go outside and take a walk at least 2-3 times a day. Besides that need to be outdoors, I had an apartment when I moved out at age 19 while in college, and would never live with neighbors that close again. Our house today is on 1/3 acre with no neighbors visible, and the family room/kitchen wall all windows. From every window in the house you see trees.

Old 06-03-2024, 01:15 PM

62,145 posts, read 88,035,372 times
People with money have choices, others need to compromise.
Those apartments seem to be very affordable, although I don't know how it relates to other costs of living and wages.
This probably won't fly in the US, YET. But wait few years and see how many people will be able to afford own house with a yard and car in the garage.
See how much you need to pay for a miniature apartment in US big cities like LA, SF, or NYC.
More and more hard working Americans are priced out of their "dream" and some rent has grown beyond budgets pushing more people into poverty and homelessness.

Old 06-03-2024, 01:55 PM

9,335 posts, read 6,470,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This probably won't fly in the US, YET. But wait few years and see how many people will be able to afford own house with a yard and car in the garage.
See how much you need to pay for a miniature apartment in US big cities like LA, SF, or NYC.
More and more hard working Americans are priced out of their "dream" and some rent has grown beyond budgets pushing more people into poverty and homelessness.
Housing unaffordability in North America is not in any way related to a general lack of space. North America is actually one of the larger continents and we have raw room to expand the population without the need for that super dense housing. Housing unaffordability is driven by how and where we distribute jobs. People generally have to live near employment opportunities and for some reason we concentrate the good employment opportunities into very limited areas.

Old 06-03-2024, 02:02 PM

8,654 posts, read 4,863,686 times
This sounds a bit like an arcology, minus the actual food production/ecosystem mimicking of a real arco.

And, there’s also Whittier, Alaska.

Old 06-03-2024, 02:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,863 posts, read 81,892,720 times
As long as there are single family homes someone will own them, and someone will live in them. What we see today that may get worse in the future is that demand out paces availability, mostly because of the high prices. Developers continue to build them, though with smaller yards due to the high cost of land, and enough people can afford them to keep them building, even at 4,000 sf and $2 million. Meanwhile the existing homes with bigger yards cost even more as very few are being built and those are custom. Here it's the proximity to the good tech jobs while being in a semi-rural, wooded area.

https://www.newhomesource.com/commun...e-homes/199162

https://www.zillow.com/sammamish-wa/new-homes/

Old 06-03-2024, 02:55 PM

8,209 posts, read 7,575,353 times
I don't get the supposed appeal of this idea, the idea of never going outside. I guess if it's raining or it below zero I'd want to stay indoors, but what, forever? Nope.

Old 06-03-2024, 02:59 PM

1,493 posts, read 709,618 times
No way. I don't see a lake or a river or a mountain or forest.

Old 06-03-2024, 03:43 PM

9,335 posts, read 6,470,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I don't get the supposed appeal of this idea, the idea of never going outside. I guess if it's raining or it below zero I'd want to stay indoors, but what, forever? Nope.
It would work well if we had a need to house people in harshest parts of Siberia or Antarctica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning