Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2023, 02:11 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times

Advertisements

I drive people for medical appointments (volunteer) for a non-profit agency. I had a rider yesterday who lives in a senior apt. complex, but previously stayed in one of the motels that was used to house the homeless during Covid. They told me the rate was $7500 a month and I wondered if they were a bit "tetched" as Grandpa used to say. But I looked it up when I got home, lo and behold, it was up to $8000 a month! and for a motel no sane person would want to spend a night in, if they were traveling in the area.

Found this article. My question, who came up with this program where the motels set the rates and extort the state gov't? I wonder how many more people they could have helped if they had been better stewards of the money. BTW, the person said their case manager told them the motel was still billing the state as if they were still staying there, even though they had left.
https://vtdigger.org/2023/03/13/in-h...t-in-exchange/

Old 07-20-2023, 04:54 PM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
I started reading up on one of the multi-property hotel owners mentioned by name. He's a real piece of work. Seems his MO is to buy properties, let them deteriorate and then lease them to the state for homeless housing to the tune of millions per year. He did the same with the former Crowne Plaza in Pittsfield. Meanwhile, this slum hotelier lives in Brooklyn or Queens, NY. According to some articles, his homeless 'guests' are not Vermonters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 08:30 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Here is one of a two part series articles about the situation in Vermont, and the govt pulling out of housing homeless in hotels. These articles were just published in La Presse daily newspaper in Montreal. You can grind it through Google translate, it does a fairly good job of it:

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/l...ans-valeur.php

These are appalling numbers; 430 people per 100k population. Scary.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:28 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Here is one of a two part series articles about the situation in Vermont, and the govt pulling out of housing homeless in hotels. These articles were just published in La Presse daily newspaper in Montreal. You can grind it through Google translate, it does a fairly good job of it:

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/l...ans-valeur.php

These are appalling numbers; 430 people per 100k population. Scary.
Sounds like a small number to me. Less than 1/2 of 1% of the population. Montreal has a bigger homeless problem than Vermont.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ensus-released

Old 08-20-2023, 01:46 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Sounds like a small number to me. Less than 1/2 of 1% of the population. Montreal has a bigger homeless problem than Vermont.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ensus-released
Right, but that isn’t the stat for Quebec province wide according to the article I posted. They claim 76 per 100k for the province.

The second article speaks to the difficulty for a lot folks to access motels now, let alone bona fide housing. It’s looking pretty grim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: