Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 12:50 PM

17 posts, read 12,167 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I recently moved to Westchester County and have been looking for a gym to call home. Tried several, but none of them really felt right, except for Powerhouse Fitness in Nanuet (I really like that gym), but that's a little bit out of the way.

I recently heard that the former location of the Christmas Shop in Central Park Avenue between White Plains and Hartsdale is going to be a gym. Has anyone heard the same, or have any insight?

I've tried all of the following gyms, but they each have some issue:

1. Life Time Harrison: Beautiful gym, great equipment, good vibe, but expensive at $275/month

2. 24 Hour Fitness Scarsdale: Has most of what anyone would need, but the equipment is old and suboptimal, but mostly the free weights section is disorganized and members are weirdos that steal barbell weight clips. It's inexpensive, and relatively close to home, so I go there a few times a week.

3. Hydrogen Fitness Scarsdale/Hartsdale: Decent gym, but small impractical during busy hours. Also, lacking any real vibe, but overall not bad...just not great.

4. NYSC in White Plains & Scarsdale: Similar comments to those of 24 Hour Fitness Scarsdale

5. NYSC close to Ardsley: Similar feedback to Hydrogen Fitness Scarsdale/Hartsdale.

6. Planet Fitness: Not for serious lifters. No offense. There are levels to everything in life, including fitness.

7. Hydrogen Fitness Greenwich/Portchester: Went while they were building it out. Appears to be a good spot, but far away from me, so not practical.

8. Iron Vault: Great gym, but lacks treadmills for high intensity cardio (heart + lung health is just as important as strong musculature physique). Biggest drawback is the lack of showers for my morning workouts before heading into the office, but if I shift my workouts to the afternoon, this location may work. At the moment, however, it doesn't really work.

9. LA Fitness in Yonkers: Too ghetto. Not interested.

10. LA Fitness in New Rochelle: Everything is new. Good gym. But lacks enough weight training machines, relative to the number of people training on them; and its a little bit out of the way for me.

11. Equinox in Mamaroneck: It's cute, smells nice, but not for serious lifting. Also, unjustifiably expensive, i.e., no pool, courts for basketball or tennis, food court, etc. At least Life Time has these amenities.

So - I'm hoping someone can tell me of any great gym I may have missed. And am hopeful that someone is opening up a Powerhouse-type of gym in Westchester soon. But again, any confirmation or new info re: the Christmas Shop Hartsdale/White Plains location becoming a gym?

If I don't find an adequate gym, I'll likely eventually cave, and go to Life Time Harrison, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money, when other really great gyms only cost around $60-85 / Month....but it appears they're only in Nanuet and certain places in NYC.

Last edited by PrimeDish; 01-06-2024 at 01:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 09:41 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Does $275/month include a happy ending any time you go? Holy sh1t…

Old 01-09-2024, 07:51 AM

LOL - would be nice, but no. To their credit though, they do have an extensive array of facilities i.e., basketball/tennis/racquetball courts, steam room, sauna, indoor/outdoor swimming pools, 20 or so squat racks, brand new cardio equipment, yoga studios, child care for up to 2-hours during a workout, and probably several other things I'm not even aware of.

So - yes, for my purposes its a little bit overkill, but IMO, its the best one I've seen in the area.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:05 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
I have been to a Lifetime, but in NJ. It is very expensive, but to be honest, it shouldn't be referred to as a gym. It is more like a fitness oriented country club. The one in NJ has an outdoor pool complex for the summer. Not an olympic pool for laps, but a swim club like facility.

Old 01-09-2024, 03:10 PM

Yea, I agree with that. This is why I consider it a bit much for my purposes.

In any case, I was hoping someone would have insight as to whether the rumors of the now-closed Christmas Shop in Central Park Avenue (White Plains / Hartsdale) being converted into a gym.

Doesn't appear like anyone here is aware.

So, we shall wait and see.

Old 01-10-2024, 12:30 PM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
If you are struggling to find the goldilocks gym, the tie breaker is probably the one that is closest to you (assuming its operating hours fit your schedule). In my experience, for a gym membership to work, you need to go often over a long period of time, and logistics can get in the way of this happening. When you are tired and/or not in the mood, it will help to have it be real local. Also, don't underestimate the benefits of walking to and from. A great way to get some cardio in, but the gym needs to be close to home. It will help justify costs and/or less than idea conditions when it is the closest to home.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:41 PM

821 posts, read 773,531 times
I haven’t been there but what about Pump Fitness in Harrison? It’s really close to Lifetime.

https://the-pump-fitness-ny.myshopify.com/

Old 01-23-2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
If you are struggling to find the goldilocks gym, the tie breaker is probably the one that is closest to you (assuming its operating hours fit your schedule). In my experience, for a gym membership to work, you need to go often over a long period of time, and logistics can get in the way of this happening. When you are tired and/or not in the mood, it will help to have it be real local. Also, don't underestimate the benefits of walking to and from. A great way to get some cardio in, but the gym needs to be close to home. It will help justify costs and/or less than idea conditions when it is the closest to home.
Totally get it. Right now, I'm going w/ a platoon approach. When possible, I go to Powerhouse in Nanuet, and when time is short, I go to 24 Hour Fitness in Scarsdale.

I feel confident that at some point Westchester will have better gyms, but for now, I'll make do.

Old 01-23-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I haven’t been there but what about Pump Fitness in Harrison? It’s really close to Lifetime.

https://the-pump-fitness-ny.myshopify.com/
Haven't been to it. Will check it out. Tnx!

Old 01-23-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeDish View Post
Hey everyone, I recently moved to Westchester County and have been looking for a gym to call home. Tried several, but none of them really felt right, except for Powerhouse Fitness in Nanuet (I really like that gym), but that's a little bit out of the way.

I recently heard that the former location of the Christmas Shop in Central Park Avenue between White Plains and Hartsdale is going to be a gym. Has anyone heard the same, or have any insight?

I've tried all of the following gyms, but they each have some issue:

1. Life Time Harrison: Beautiful gym, great equipment, good vibe, but expensive at $275/month

2. 24 Hour Fitness Scarsdale: Has most of what anyone would need, but the equipment is old and suboptimal, but mostly the free weights section is disorganized and members are weirdos that steal barbell weight clips. It's inexpensive, and relatively close to home, so I go there a few times a week.

3. Hydrogen Fitness Scarsdale/Hartsdale: Decent gym, but small impractical during busy hours. Also, lacking any real vibe, but overall not bad...just not great.

4. NYSC in White Plains & Scarsdale: Similar comments to those of 24 Hour Fitness Scarsdale

5. NYSC close to Ardsley: Similar feedback to Hydrogen Fitness Scarsdale/Hartsdale.

6. Planet Fitness: Not for serious lifters. No offense. There are levels to everything in life, including fitness.

7. Hydrogen Fitness Greenwich/Portchester: Went while they were building it out. Appears to be a good spot, but far away from me, so not practical.

8. Iron Vault: Great gym, but lacks treadmills for high intensity cardio (heart + lung health is just as important as strong musculature physique). Biggest drawback is the lack of showers for my morning workouts before heading into the office, but if I shift my workouts to the afternoon, this location may work. At the moment, however, it doesn't really work.

9. LA Fitness in Yonkers: Too ghetto. Not interested.

10. LA Fitness in New Rochelle: Everything is new. Good gym. But lacks enough weight training machines, relative to the number of people training on them; and its a little bit out of the way for me.

11. Equinox in Mamaroneck: It's cute, smells nice, but not for serious lifting. Also, unjustifiably expensive, i.e., no pool, courts for basketball or tennis, food court, etc. At least Life Time has these amenities.

So - I'm hoping someone can tell me of any great gym I may have missed. And am hopeful that someone is opening up a Powerhouse-type of gym in Westchester soon. But again, any confirmation or new info re: the Christmas Shop Hartsdale/White Plains location becoming a gym?

If I don't find an adequate gym, I'll likely eventually cave, and go to Life Time Harrison, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money, when other really great gyms only cost around $60-85 / Month....but it appears they're only in Nanuet and certain places in NYC.
Answering my own question....I spoke to one of the contractors doing work at the now-closed Christmas Shop site. It will not be a gym, although a gym business did bid on the site. Instead it will be a furniture store (because Westchester doesn't have enough of those - *rolls eyes*)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County