Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 12:54 PM

61 posts, read 53,487 times

Advertisements

I’m 49 and have been searching for a job for 6 months. I’ve have never been unemployed more than 2 months and have been at my other jobs from 4 to 8 years. This one I feel like quitting after a month. I thought I could handle it as it’s not particularly hard (it’s a medical supply company where you place orders, payments, returns etc….) and it pays well for a call center but I can’t handle sitting all day chained to my desk with a headset. I just don’t have the patience to talk to customers. If you use the restroom you put your phone on away and really aren’t supposed to unless it’s your break or lunch. There is live analytics that show who is available, how long, when you are getting a call, when you are on a call, when you are finishing a call, if you missed a call. You can’t log off until the exact minute your shifts ends so if you get a call at 4:59 you could be on it for a while. I have always done sales support where you could get up from your desk when needed. Nobody cared if you checked your cell phone or had a few minutes of personal talk. I can’t interview because I never know if I will be able to leave for lunch or after work on time. I can handle the most stressful jobs and I have. This isn’t stressful yet I can’t handle it. I was surprised several people have been there 20 plus years. Mostly people in the medical field also.

Last edited by Sammy75; 02-19-2024 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2024, 01:56 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Then continue looking for a job that suits you.

Old 02-19-2024, 07:59 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Sounds like a nightmare. One of my jobs during college was in a call center, I applied because they were able to work around class schedules. I quit after two months...couldn't tolerate being monitored and watched as you describe, having to request permission to use the bathroom. I lost my voice during the longer shifts, it was horrible. I just stopped going.

If you don't want to be tethered to a desk then look for a warehouse job, delivery driver, grocery stocker or clerk, Home Depot, etc. Even if it's just something to do until you find a better permanent job. The majority of workers at my local supermarkets and Home Depot are definitely 50+, so give it a shot.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:11 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Call Centers have particular reputation for a reason...

Old 02-19-2024, 08:31 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Was any of this a surprise for you? I worked in a call center for a year. I learned how to hack the 'aux' time. You just don't hang up. Some callers don't end calls. You'd be surprised. I'd use that dead time as an extra break. My coworker would give me a heads up when the call ended.

The best part of that environment are your co workers. If you don't like them then you need to leave asap. It's easier to get by when you're surrounded by fun co workers.

Old 02-19-2024, 08:35 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Was any of this a surprise for you? I worked in a call center for a year. I learned how to hack the 'aux' time. You just don't hang up. Some callers don't end calls. You'd be surprised. I'd use that dead time as an extra break. My coworker would give me a heads up when the call ended.

The best part of that environment are your co workers. If you don't like them then you need to leave asap. It's easier to get by when you're surrounded by fun co workers.
Well, that explains why the waiting times are sometimes so long...

Old 02-20-2024, 07:01 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, that explains why the waiting times are sometimes so long...
"We are experiencing higher than normal call volumes. Please be patient. Your call is very important to us."

Old 02-20-2024, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
My wife worked for several years as a manager in a call center. Employee performance was based on upselling and time per call, and she fired a lot of people for not meeting the required goals. Fortunately they eventually had massive layoffs due to the popularity of online sales, and she got a much better job.
I actually hired one of the people that she had to let go who was an outstanding worker in my business. It takes a special person with very thick skin, patience, and willingness to work for low wages to last as a call center worker.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:30 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
There is live analytics that show who is available, how long, when you are getting a call, when you are on a call, when you are finishing a call, if you missed a call. You can’t log off until the exact minute your shifts ends so if you get a call at 4:59 you could be on it for a while.

Do you not do any research of your own on any of these jobs you keep taking? That's on you.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:33 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
I’m 49 and have been searching for a job for 6 months. I’ve have never been unemployed more than 2 months and have been at my other jobs from 4 to 8 years. This one I feel like quitting after a month. I thought I could handle it as it’s not particularly hard (it’s a medical supply company where you place orders, payments, returns etc….) and it pays well for a call center but I can’t handle sitting all day chained to my desk with a headset. I just don’t have the patience to talk to customers. If you use the restroom you put your phone on away and really aren’t supposed to unless it’s your break or lunch. There is live analytics that show who is available, how long, when you are getting a call, when you are on a call, when you are finishing a call, if you missed a call. You can’t log off until the exact minute your shifts ends so if you get a call at 4:59 you could be on it for a while. I have always done sales support where you could get up from your desk when needed. Nobody cared if you checked your cell phone or had a few minutes of personal talk. I can’t interview because I never know if I will be able to leave for lunch or after work on time. I can handle the most stressful jobs and I have. This isn’t stressful yet I can’t handle it. I was surprised several people have been there 20 plus years. Mostly people in the medical field also.
So look for another job. Good God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment