Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 12:03 PM

80 posts, read 76,602 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Ill try to make it short. I work as Senior Data Analyst in a multinational company with presence globally around the world, Im in this company for 2 years and a half now. I was very happy with my job, I was promoted from Analyst to Senior Analyst last year.

Last year on July my line manager resigned and another manager took control on the department/area. We are 10 employees at different levels in my department + the line manager and in 2 years with my former manager only one employee resigned, he rotated internally to another position in another area, Business Controlling, apparently is what he wanted. However, since the new line manager came on July 2023, the Deputy Team Lead, promoted like 5 months ago from Senior role, resigned and went to another company, this happened on September 2023. After that an Analyst resigned and rotated internally starting from January 2024. Very recently we knew about another Analyst who is now resigning and will leave the company on May 2024. This happened from July 2023 to now March 2024.

As a result some of us we already have big workload and some of us have to take extra workload. In my case I was already full and I had to take tasks from the first Analyst who resigned on December 2023. I loved my work, I was able to provide top quality by dedicating time to my tasks and entreprenour mindset to improve my processes, hard working, but business partners loved my work, my former line manager told me only excellent feedback from them in the past, I also provided several continuous improvements which lead me to be promoted. However now Im overworking, some days working 12 to 13 hours per day and Im lucky if Im able to deal with 60% of my workload at the end of the week. I have a lot of pressure, several emails, I rush my work and tasks and I make mistakes because I have no time, Im being escalated to make mistakes. In the past I was with reporting, currently I deal with Reporting + BI systems analysis/implementation/power bi development/database of measures and dimensions of the full BI system + Digitalization projects + Automations + Tutoring another colleague who seems not capable of doing his job + Troubleshooting some reports I outsourced to another country + additional requests. I cannot deal with 60% of it even working 12 hours a day and weekends and holidays and I have complains in return that never happened in 2 years. I have even activities completely abandoned such as documenting processes for possible audits.

I already told my current line manager I cannot deal with it, Im really tired all day with headaches, back pain and sleep deprivation, 0 free time just work and sleep, I cannot even go shopping for the basics or take care family. To make it worst we have people in my department with very few tasks but poor performance and I was asked to help so I have to go calls for it and do other tasks at the same time, sometimes replying emails in another screen or Teams or coding, everything at the same time.

My colleagues never tell me why they are leaving, they always tell they found a good opportunity... in my case I didnt look or apply for another job but in last 3 months I was contacted via Linkedin/email by recruiters: 3 in the same country Im living, 2 in my country of origin and 3 in different countries in Europe, most recently for a position in Austria, last week.

Thank you for reading this, today I feel bad, I was escalated by a Demand Planning Manager in Netherlands because of a report with mistakes, the real reason is I rushed this in order to deal with other urgent topics. That report was not originally from me but coming from the Analyst who left on Dec. 2023.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 12:36 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
12-hour days are somewhat common in finance, but not in IT. And people who work those sort of hours in NYC/ London/ HK usually are well-compensated (200k year to start, plus bonus, plus opportunities for big $$$ in the future).

IT/ Tech is more of an 8-hour day, and periods of downtime between "intense work episodes" is customary. The statement that your company is working its data analysts 12 solid hours per day indicates significant problems, probably severe understaffing. Since this is across the organization, the simplest advice is to move to another company.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:03 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I don't see an actual question here, more venting. But life is too short to be working 12-13 hour days my friend. Find something else and stop working after your normal hours. If the work still cannot be done that's a management problem, not your problem.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:55 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I agree, that is a terrible situation. So...what are you going to do?

Old 03-06-2024, 02:04 PM

80 posts, read 76,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I agree, that is a terrible situation. So...what are you going to do?
I think Im going to do the same as other colleagues and apply for other jobs, I do not feel any motivation to continue. The solution given to the work overload is to postpone but is not working as expected as people are demanding results and escalating but I cannot deal with all these topics. Some people in my team are more focused on only one project while I have several ones but Im unable to finish half of my topics.

Last edited by looking_for_hope; 03-06-2024 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-07-2024, 04:28 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Move on. They are not treating you well, so find a new & better job.

Old 03-07-2024, 06:56 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It sounds like it's time to leave voluntarily rather than be fired for making too many mistakes.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:15 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
I already told my current line manager I cannot deal with it.

Take it further up the chain, and start looking for another job.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:35 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Yep, management is ignoring the signs and will continue to do so as long as you are there to make up for a lack of personnel. Start having some "doctor's appointments" and maybe a "procedure or two." Hipaa will keep them from asking specifics (or should). Two and a half years is an acceptable length of time for any potential employer not to do a double-take. (Before the economy contracted, 2.5 years was a long time in IT).

Try to be as certain as you can be with the new employer. I once made 2 moves inside 18 months due to those hiring me being under pressure from management to hire. Both lied to me (well, the 2nd lied by omission, didn't tell me the reason I was coming to his company was removed the Friday before I started).

IT has a very strange vibe right now. There are many over-employed and then, there are those going into jobs that will be obsolete in a year or two. Now is the time to reach out to anyone and everyone you know. I know head-hunters are popular for IT hiring, but word of mouth can be just as profitable. Don't be in a rush and take the first thing. If you are of age where you will be wanting to buy a home, be aware of 1099 or contracting positions. Most contractors have caught on to hiring personnel as W2, but if a lender catches wind it's a contract, getting a mortgage with less than 2 years can be a problem.

You don't indicate your age, but the younger you are, I believe it's far easier to make the move. "Forever" employers are rare in IT, but I always urge my kids to look for their forever company (both are in IT), one is at the top of the food chain, the other just starting out in his 2nd year.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2024, 10:41 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
...I didnt look or apply for another job but in last 3 months I was contacted via Linkedin/email by recruiters: 3 in the same country Im living, 2 in my country of origin and 3 in different countries in Europe, most recently for a position in Austria, last week.
Two things jump out at me.

1. You complained to your manager about your workload, never a good thing because it's like saying "I'm not good enough to handle my job". It sounds like you are in fact very overloaded. But in today's job market, it's better to be seen as a miracle worker than a complainer. Maybe impossible in your case, but I suggest you find ways to get your work done more quickly/efficiently, offload it to colleagues, or simply push back and give them more realistic timelines for getting it done. If you can document everything you do every day, you will have a pretty solid defense against criticism. But you still might get in trouble ("escalated"?).

which leads to:

2. If you are being tapped for positions, you should be following up with timely responses. The best time to look for a job is when you have a job. Definitely don't wait until you have been given 30 days notice to improve or be fired, or reorganized out of a job entirely. Good luck & hopefully your current job will work out, or else you'll find another, better opportunity soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment