Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2023, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

I have never felt so downcast having to see my self go through the ridicule of a shaky mouth on an interview of a life time. Hell "No" heaven must have failed me, speaking to myself...I said. I ought to get this job; oh I was so prepared. I read, read and read repeatedly preparing to give the Best. Indeed, I failed myself. What a shame I thought to myself.

Little did I know that to be " Forewarned is to be Forearmed.....and "to be in form is forethought"... Anxiety has killed me... oh! I read....why me!??

Haven found myself unexpectedly tongue-tied or feeling uncomfortable in the midst of my interviewers …I lost grip of myself...oh! why me!? I could not explain.

With the disappointment of the day, I came out all worn-out on myself...I never could believe such an embarrassment on the first day of my interview. God help me, I said to myself downcast.

So, that very getting home, I talked out my experience with a close friend of mine...more like a senior mentor that just moved into the neighborhood …the then Ikaptang Layout, Boki Lane and that was all for it.

Why or why didn't I talk this out with Bro. Henry before my interview. I kept saying to myself ….Bro. Henry was a senior graduate of psychology from the University of Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. That was my Saving Grace.

After, talking with Bro. Henry for a long time that evening, He told me he noticed I had issues with pinning my eyes eyeball t eyeball with conversation and that was my first flaw or sign of Shyness He said terming it "Social Anxiety" .

Social Anxiety!? I said in shock.....and Bro. Henry continued....Yes, s" Social Anxiety" immediately, I became enmeshed …going further he asked do I normally "sweat in my palms when I talk to adults or people I respect socially"!? O h yes, I loudly said.

Confused the more, I couldn't ask for less....I'm I sick or something I said!? Not at all, he responded....You are not just used to a certain lifestyle.

Immediately, he asked me...how did you grow up and that was it!....I blew the cat from cover...I had a very challenging childhood I said....amazed with all that was coming into my ears. Out of curiosity I asked again, "how does my childhood affect my ability to socialize as a person or lead to social anxiety!?… OG Henry laughed as he was fondly called in the yard.

Oh God! what is wrong with me I kept thinking inside....from shaky -mouth to eye contact during conversation to childhood experience? This most be "the story of my Life: A must hear...I kept listening.

How exactly does my childhood experience affect my confidence in social gatherings? was definitely my next...

Bro, Henry as OG had it all for the day...and I needed every piece of it to get done with this thing called "Anxiety" and get ready before my next interview...but was it so fast to be resolved?... I wish, all I thought at the moment.

Yes, it can he said but it needs a bit of time and practice to get it right once and for all. That was all I wanted....I went ahead all hills high...Bro. Henry, it's I and You today I said....I don't feel like going home anymore I exclaimed..Cheering me up he said....Bro. Henry, you won't understand it's like I never knew myself all this while...22years into my life? Oh I was lost....Why have I never heard it!? I kept saying inside ….I lost a golden opportunity today of an Oil ring company job worth a life time with a car to go for it was unbelievable!

…stay tuned and find out...what Bro Henry said about Childhood....

By Albin Tawo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,858 times
Hey Albin, such an impactful experience. I have to say that it takes a lot of courage to open up about challenges we face, especially when they impact significant moments like job interviews. Your vulnerability is commendable.

It's disheartening to hear about the difficulties you faced during the interview, but it's inspiring to see you seeking understanding and solutions. It's clear that your conversation with Bro. Henry brought valuable insights into the root of your struggles, unveiling the concept of "Social Anxiety" tied to your childhood experiences.

Discovering these connections can be a crucial step toward personal growth and overcoming challenges. Bro. Henry's guidance seems like a beacon of support, offering both an explanation and a potential path forward. It's heartening to know that you're determined to address and improve this aspect of your life.

Remember, self-discovery is an ongoing journey, and each step you take towards understanding yourself better is a victory. The setbacks we face often pave the way for profound personal growth. Keep embracing the learning process, and I hope the strategies Bro. Henry shared will prove helpful on your journey to overcoming social anxiety.

Your openness in sharing this narrative is not only a testament to your resilience but also an invitation for others to share their experiences and support each other. Wishing you strength, self-discovery, and success on your path to overcoming social anxiety. If you ever feel the need to discuss further or seek more insights, know that your community is here to lend a supportive ear.

Old 02-08-2024, 08:35 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Some people are just born writers. That's you, Albin Tawo. You have a knack for using just the right word at the right time. I know that I speak for everyone here (that would be me and the cat, who is currently asleep by the laptop but here in spirit) that we ALL hope to see more of your writing in the future!

Old 02-09-2024, 08:40 AM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
The "Bot vs Bot" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing