Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 06:54 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times

Advertisements

Which is correct for plural in this sentence?
This came up at work. I know what i would say, however a co-worker is doing it differently. I want to confirm which of us is using correct grammar. And which of us is using incorrect grammar. Thank you.

Yes, basically i want to see which of us is right. However this is not just me being picky. An element in our performance rating at work actually includes specifically using correct grammar. Just like we are dinged if there are complaints, we are also dinged if there are grammar errors in our official communication at work, including emails we send.

When we on-board new hires, we send them two codes for logging in: an access code and a verify code. These are two different codes, that are entered by the user into two different fields. They type in these different two codes to log into our ABC patient records system which we use at work. So usage in this context is talking about "secret codes" (as in a password); and not talking about "computer code" (as in lines of code used by programmers).

We send the codes to them in an email. Which of these sentences is correct grammar?
  • "Here are log in codes for ABC system."
  • "Here is the log in codes for ABC system."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-18-2024 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 06:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
"Here are the log in codes for ABC system."

Codes is the subject of the sentence.

Old 03-18-2024, 09:34 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Yes, "here are" is correct.

"Here is" is never correct when the object is plural, and the object is clearly plural, "codes."

Old 03-18-2024, 09:55 PM

yes i agree with both answers above, from suzyq and saibot.

that was my thinking.
because codes is plural.

"here are the codes." for plural. because we send two codes.
"here is the code." for singular, if we were sending only one code.

thank you.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:13 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I like this combo: Here are the login codes for the ABC system.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:02 AM

21,947 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Which is correct for plural in this sentence?
This came up at work. I know what i would say, however a co-worker is doing it differently. I want to confirm which of us is using correct grammar. And which of us is using incorrect grammar. Thank you.

Yes, basically i want to see which of us is right. However this is not just me being picky. An element in our performance rating at work actually includes specifically using correct grammar. Just like we are dinged if there are complaints, we are also dinged if there are grammar errors in our official communication at work, including emails we send.

When we on-board new hires, we send them two codes for logging in: an access code and a verify code. These are two different codes, that are entered by the user into two different fields. They type in these different two codes to log into our ABC patient records system which we use at work. So usage in this context is talking about "secret codes" (as in a password); and not talking about "computer code" (as in lines of code used by programmers).

We send the codes to them in an email. Which of these sentences is correct grammar?
  • "Here are log in codes for ABC system."
  • "Here is the log in codes for ABC system."

Oops. Hang on.

I don't think either is correct.

Should be "Here are the log in codes for the ABC system.

Old 03-19-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Oops. Hang on.
I don't think either is correct.
Should be "Here are the log in codes for the ABC system.
here are apples for you.
here are the apples for you.

both are correct grammar

sending out the codes, if i was going to put an article in front of codes, then i would put "your" (your codes) instead of "the" (the codes) since they differ from person to person. (think password) It would probably be more accurate to say "here are your login codes for ABC."

but both are correct grammar.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:29 AM

21,947 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
here are apples for you.
here are the apples for you.

both are correct grammar

sending out the codes, if i was going to put an article in front of codes, then i would put "your" (your codes) instead of "the" (the codes) since they differ from person to person. (think password) It would probably be more accurate to say "here are your login codes for ABC."

but both are correct grammar.
I don't think "Here are apples for you' sounds good. It might technically be acceptable.

Here are some apples for you sounds better.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:40 AM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Here are the log in codes for ABC system."

Codes is the subject of the sentence.
What she said.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-19-2024, 12:14 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't think "Here are apples for you' sounds good. It might technically be acceptable.

Here are some apples for you sounds better.
Depends on the context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing