Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 03:54 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times

Advertisements

I don't see why a person should be denied the right to see his original birth certificate, just because he was adopted. Adoptees should have the same legal rights as everyone else to see their birth certificates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I don't see why a person should be denied the right to see his original birth certificate, just because he was adopted. Adoptees should have the same legal rights as everyone else to see their birth certificates.
Many are in agreement with you. And ideally, this would be part of adoption reform - all citizens should have access to their birth certificates, equally. There is a bill from Indiana which is not optimal because the first mother can state her contact preference, and as result trumping a citizen's right to their birth certificate. So there is a potential for citizens not being treated equally, after all. Anyway, the good part of that bill is it opens adoption records in Indiana finalized before Jan. 1, 1994.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:56 AM

15 posts, read 25,950 times
Where I'm from, a person can have their adoption annulled by private bill, at which point I hear, your original birth certificate kicks in... just find a legislator and ask them to sponsor/introduce it.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
Just wondering if you have found any answers? My siblings have sort of the same situation. We had a blended family and my brother and I had a mother that passed away and my step brother and sister had a father that passed away. Eventually my dad adopted them and their mom adopted my brother and I. Now we are adults and I'm wanting my mother's name back on my birth certificate. I'm upset that she was basically erased from history because she was removed. My step brother's last name was changed. He wants his last name back to his original one. I guess some people don't get it based on the comments you received but it's a huge deal to us to get the original birth certificates back.

Anyway I was just wondering if you ever got it figured out. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:38 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If your biological parents were still alive this might be conceivable, but since they are deceased it probably isn't. If your biological parents voluntarily terminated their parental rights I don't see the courts going against that voluntary action. Because, unless you have something in writing from them stating otherwise, they have already stated under oath they do not want their names on your birth certificate. If their parental rights were involuntarily terminated by the courts, you might have a chance.

I am sorry that you are in a position where you feel taking this kind of an action would be a solution. Have you considered talking to a counselor about what is going on that makes you feel this way? In the long term doing so may serve you better.
Their names are already on his **original** birth certificate. But it is sealed away in a vault guarded by the state-- it is like going on a journey to the city of Oz, but that was more doable

Old 12-18-2017, 06:50 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
I want to do the same thing.

My wonderful, loving father passed away when I was 6. My mom remarried and I was adopted by my abusive stepfather when I was 7. I remember the Judge asking me if I wanted to be adopted and I said "No" and my mother and stepfather said "Yes," so I was officially adopted.

My last name and birth certificate were changed and I no longer have any official/legal link to my father or my large, loving family on that side - though that is the closest family I've ever had (not close to mother or stepfather's family). My father/family history has been erased.

I want my birth certificate changed back and I may also change my birth name back so it is officially on record. I want this - my true family and my bloodline - to be on record. I went to the county building to see if they had my original birth certificate, but it was a dead end - they said it was forever sealed. Not sure how I'll proceed with this.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 12-18-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 02:38 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
Until an adoption is reversed or other legal action, the adopters will have next of kin rights. That is inheritance, medical decisions, etc. Abusive scum having that power would be a motivation to get something done.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:57 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I want to do the same thing.

My wonderful, loving father passed away when I was 6. My mom remarried and I was adopted by my abusive stepfather when I was 7. I remember the Judge asking me if I wanted to be adopted and I said "No" and my mother and stepfather said "Yes," so I was officially adopted.

My last name and birth certificate were changed and I no longer have any official/legal link to my father or my large, loving family on that side - though that is the closest family I've ever had (not close to mother or stepfather's family). My father/family history has been erased.

I want my birth certificate changed back and I may also change my birth name back so it is officially on record. I want this - my true family and my bloodline - to be on record. I went to the county building to see if they had my original birth certificate, but it was a dead end - they said it was forever sealed. Not sure how I'll proceed with this.
Was this in Illinois? An Illinois law allows adult adopted persons born in Illinois to request non-certified copies of their original birth certificates through the Illinois Department of Public Health. In most cases, the original birth certificate will list the first and last names of one or both birth parents.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
When I was born, my hame was Harrison. I was a direct descendant of Plymouth settlers and two presidents.
My mother divorced Harrison when I was three.

When I was five and was learning about my family history and how to write my name, she married an Armenian.
I have nothing against Armenians, but I didn'd want to be one. He adopted me and changed my name to his.

He didn't like me and I hated him.

When I was a teenager, I needed a birth certificate so I went down to city hall to get one. In those days they kept the records in big handwritten ledgers that dated back to the 1600's. They had drawn a line through my name and replaced it with his Armenian name. So I officially became an Armenian.

When I was In college I had an Anthropology professor who made me stand up in front of the class as a perfect example of the Armeniod sub race. I never told her my ancestors were English because she liked me and I got an A in the class.

I always wanted to change my name back to Harrison but I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings so I planned to wait until my mother and step father died.

The old bastard lived to be about 100.

I will be a fake Armenian until I die.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When I was born, my hame was Harrison. I was a direct descendant of Plymouth settlers and two presidents.
My mother divorced Harrison when I was three.

When I was five and was learning about my family history and how to write my name, she married an Armenian.
I have nothing against Armenians, but I didn'd want to be one. He adopted me and changed my name to his.

He didn't like me and I hated him.

When I was a teenager, I needed a birth certificate so I went down to city hall to get one. In those days they kept the records in big handwritten ledgers that dated back to the 1600's. They had drawn a line through my name and replaced it with his Armenian name. So I officially became an Armenian.

When I was In college I had an Anthropology professor who made me stand up in front of the class as a perfect example of the Armeniod sub race. I never told her my ancestors were English because she liked me and I got an A in the class.

I always wanted to change my name back to Harrison but I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings so I planned to wait until my mother and step father died.

The old bastard lived to be about 100.

I will be a fake Armenian until I die.

OMG, I think you are one of my best friends, great uncle, from NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption