Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 02:01 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times

Advertisements

I know they range, but I would like to know what it cost for you to adopt your child and from what country/state.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
It took us over 5 years to adopt. In that 5 years we had 5 homestudies ($600-$800 each), a few failed adoptions where we lost money, money spent to advertise in newspapers just a little, make adoption business card, make a webpage (did that ourslef but there were some costs), some travel, fees to sign up with 2 agencies (ended up dropping both after about a yr. each), phone bills etc. etc. Before we even adopted we had spent/lost $12,000-$15,000. Our daughters adoption cost us about $5,000 total. That was travel, motel and food, and legal costs. It ended up we connected with a birthmother on our own and did a private adoption. So when it was all said and done it was about 5+ years and $17,000-$20,000 and that was 5 years ago, costs are higher now.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Have you looked at adoption.org? They have a message board and you can probably get a lot of feedback there. The forums are broken down into several categories: domestic and then by state/city and also international by country/regions.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times
You probably want to adopt a baby, but we adopted our daughter from foster care and our costs were under $2,000 and most of it was buying necessities (clothing, toiletries, etc) for her. The state paid for our homestudy and our legal fees. Adopting from foster care was the perfect option for us because we didn't want to adopt a baby and we didn't want to wait years to start our family. It was about five months from the day we called DCFS to the day our daughter came to live with us.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
This may be a bit off topic, but I just wanted to mention to anyone adopting a child, to try and get as much of his/her family medical history as possible. Hubby is adopted and we have run into a few medical problems with both him and our son. There were a few times we wished that we had some idea of what could be going on and a family medical history would have definately helped.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
This may be a bit off topic, but I just wanted to mention to anyone adopting a child, to try and get as much of his/her family medical history as possible. Hubby is adopted and we have run into a few medical problems with both him and our son. There were a few times we wished that we had some idea of what could be going on and a family medical history would have definately helped.
You make a good point, however that is not always as easy as it sounds. I am in contact with our daughters birthmother but she has no idea about the background of the father as it was a very crief relationship. Even her own medical background has been vague. I specifically asked for this at the time of our daughters birth. I knew the birthmom and her son (by a different father) had allergies (pets, plants etc.) and the boy has asthma. That was all I was told. After my daughter had a reaction to her second time on penecillin I called her birthmother and asked if she knew of any allergies like this. She casually says, oh yeah I am allergic to penecillin. Gosh that would have been nice to know being as I live an hour from the closest hospital and she had whelts on her from her head to her toes. My point is that please do get all the info you can, it just isn't always as easy as it should be.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 AM

7 posts, read 23,275 times
Default adoptive-parenting.com

All your answers there..along with our story of a FREE ADOPTION!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption