Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 PM

419 posts, read 847,009 times

Advertisements

Are there a lot more single women who would like to adopt, compared to single men?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 03:27 AM

419 posts, read 847,009 times
It seems that adoption is more of a maternal characteristic. Do childless men in general have the same innate desire to adopt?

Old 04-14-2015, 03:34 AM

231 posts, read 402,509 times
If I got to 26 and wasn't married with no marriage in sight I would adopt. I want to be a dad.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 AM

947 posts, read 922,220 times
Good question.

I thought about adoption before I got pregnant, but DH was very strongly against the idea of raising kids that weren't his.

Later my brother and his wife got divorced shortly after having a baby, and neither really wanted the poor kid. My dad recommended that we adopt him, since we were still childless, and DH was opposed to that too. He wouldn't even let me adopt my own nephew! (So the maternal grandparents raised him.)

A British friend also recommended that we adopt. I said DH was firmly against it. She said that she had the same problem with her own husband.

I thought it was just our husbands, but is the anti-adoption stance more common with men than women?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Something like 10% of Single Parent adoptions are Men.

Most are older children, Either from FosterCare, or Go overseas, (Non Family Adoptions)

But number of "Baby" adoptions are low, Agency have a preference for two parent home for babies, or Woman, Private Adoption of babies almost never goes to a man.

The obvious item on Single Parent adoption is childcare, Many Single Parents adopt older children who are school age.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:47 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
I think it's harder for a single man to adopt. People raise an eyebrow...well whyyyyyy do they want a child?

Maybe not fair, but it's how people think

Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 AM

8 posts, read 7,428 times
I would not go so far as to say older children, and certainly think its ridiculous for anyone to "raise an eyebrow!"
At 25 I adopted my son who was 3 months old. At 26 I adopted my daughter who was also 3 months old.
Then, found a partner, and we worked on adding to our family. In 2013, we became the parents to a newborn daughter, sadly, she passed away r/t SIDS. Unexpectedly, thanks to FB, someone came up to us and literally offered to bring a child into the world for us, and did in 2014.
We are hoping to adopt a few times more.
*Why? Because nothing in life brings more joy than being a parent!
Male or female....

Old 05-31-2015, 08:19 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
I have heard that more than once "He doesn't want to raise a child that isn't his." as since we adopted, women are sometimes curious and it turned out that they wanted to adopt when they couldn't conceive a child. I did have a young woman once that said "I don't want to raise someone else's child as I have nieces and nephews and can spend the money we have on them." Our son is our own child. There choice. I didn't bring the subject up and thought the comment was rude. I had a rude thought about her that I didn't express and won't express here.

I think in the future you may see more men adopt but in years past, it just wasn't done so as it gets out there that it is possible................

Old 09-09-2015, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 14,186 times
Yes, there are many more single women who apply to adopt than single men. But that does not necessarily mean there is a shortage : ) Most birth mothers I've worked with prefer a single woman or a "traditional" couple. However, some, if given the option, may choose a single father or a same sex couple. It's all about choices. And it should be the birth mother's choice!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:28 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Are there a lot more single women who would like to adopt, compared to single men?
I think the more pertinent question would be, "Are there a lot more single women who would like to have children, compared to single men?" Adoption is not an end to itself but rather a means to an end, the end being to have children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
I thought about adoption before I got pregnant, but DH was very strongly against the idea of raising kids that weren't his.
I have heard of many men who are very, very concerned about continuing their bloodline. I can understand this in cases where the man wants to perpetuate his hereditary kingdom, but it seems rather self-centered in most everyone else. In any case, I would recommend that their partners not try to fight it. It would be a grave disservice to a child to be adopted by someone who didn't really want them, since they "weren't his."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption