Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM

211 posts, read 212,978 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I know that every state surely has different rules and different norms (I will be in Chicago), but I thought that maybe your suggestions, recommendations, ideas, and stories might be able to help.

I have really thought about fostering (with the intent of adopting in the future), but I hear so many differing stories about the process.
For example:
  • Do you have to own your place to foster? Can renters ever be foster parents?
  • Does the state allow single men to be a foster parent (or single women for that matter)? Do you have to be a married heterosexual couple in order to foster?
  • Do you have to make a ton of money to foster? For example...can a single person who is a teacher or a social worker (two professions that pay relatively low salaries) be a foster parent?
  • Does a foster parent have to be "young"? I am 46, in good shape, with lots of energy, and with a lot of love to give to a son or a daughter, but I fear that I may be deemed "too old" to be a parent.
  • Do foster parents get preference if they decide to fully adopt a kid that they have come to love?
Sorry about my ignorance in all of these issues.

Thanks for shedding any light my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 PM

19,914 posts, read 9,469,827 times
Best thing to do is to call your local Social Services department. I can almost guarantee they will be VERY happy to answer all your questions. Also, I believe many departments have introductory informational meetings to address exactly the kind of questions you asked, and these meetings will also give you a fairly good idea of what to expect, both from the process of what is involved and the kinds of challenges you will almost certainly face if you do decide to become a foster parent.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,058,883 times
The first response is correct. The local administrator can answer your questions with accurate information and provide you with some facts.

Our experience in WI is that no, you do not need to own your own home but where you live must pass a safety inspection. There are some size minimums when it comes to square footage for the child(ren) and maximum number of children that can be in the home per bathroom.

Single parents can be fosters but there may be some cases where it may not be appropriate so there will be exceptions.

Financial stability is a requirement but certainly a teacher or social worker should be qualified. Finances will fall under part of the background investigation.

There can be limits on the age difference between the child and the adoptive parent in some states. This is a question for social services in your location.

Foster parents get preference over the general public when it comes to adopting, but that is after the bio parents have been ruled out and no capable and willing family members are available. This is a pretty universal order of priority in the adoption world.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:15 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,042,895 times
Do you have to own your place to foster? Can renters ever be foster parents?

Renter Can be Foster Parents.

Does the state allow single men to be a foster parent (or single women for that matter)? Do you have to be a married heterosexual couple in order to foster?

Single Men Can Foster, LG.. can Foster.

Do you have to make a ton of money to foster? For example...can a single person who is a teacher or a social worker (two professions that pay relatively low salaries) be a foster parent?

You need to have/make enough money to support your family, home, with out the Foster $'s being added.

Does a foster parent have to be "young"? I am 46, in good shape, with lots of energy, and with a lot of love to give to a son or a daughter, but I fear that I may be deemed "too old" to be a parent.

No, Older foster parents are good for "Older" children, Some Children have issues that are better addressed by a Older/Experienced parent(s). Some FC are better be a "only" in a household, that might be hard with a younger FP with there own children.

Do foster parents get preference if they decide to fully adopt a kid that they have come to love?

In some states yes, Often FP are looked to first for adoption for non-kinship adoptions.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:25 PM

211 posts, read 212,978 times
I apologize to all of you who answered for taking so long to get back at you!! I truly appreciate all of your posts; thanks a million for your help!!!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM

677 posts, read 655,167 times
To add to it, every state will have their own regulations, but most will be similar. Renting or owning is not an impediment to being a foster parent, but before you become one you have to have several steps of things done which will look at your home.

1. Home study - this is a deep look into your background, as well as a (generally) lengthy interview with you which will cover your personal and social background, your current situation, and why you are interested in being a foster parent. This interview will be done in your home and will also include an inspection of your home for safety and minimum standards.

2. Your home will have to pass a fire inspection, and be equipped with safety equipment such as fire extinguishers.

You don't need to know about any of this, or what these standards are ahead of time, nor be worried about it. To be a foster parent you have to get licensed through a foster agency, and your CPA (Child Placing Agency) will have a case manager for you that will walk you through the whole process and who will be a support to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption