Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,817,345 times

Advertisements

I just don't see too many people who are single males or who are not upper class who adopt . I just wonder how picky the adoption agencies are which is why im asking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:54 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,037,554 times
Single Males make up about 8-10% of the Adoptive Parents. Most adopt older children thru foster/adopts,

SingleMale and baby are rare.

You need to show you can "Afford" a child, So you don't have to be "UpperClass". Middle class, with a place for the kid to live in works fine.

Finding the right agency to work with is key, some will just delay you along with no intention of ever approving you, or find you a child. But will string you along for years, so they don't get sued.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,310,503 times
Since finances appear to be a factor in your life, I'm going to assume that international adoption is off the table for you. Domestic newborn adoption will be difficult, but not impossible. Basically, it will be up to the birthmother to choose you as a parent for her child; which frankly the odds are low for that. There may be agencies who specialize in single parent adoption though so google that.
Your best option is U.S. Fostercare. Yes, they allow foster/adoption by single men.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM

32,690 posts, read 48,238,918 times
It depends upon how far down the desirability level you wish to go. Chances of a pretty, healthy, newborn, white boy are pretty slim. A 10 year old African American with fetal alcohol syndrome would be a lot easier.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:51 AM

16,586 posts, read 10,697,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It depends upon how far down the desirability level you wish to go. Chances of a pretty, healthy, newborn, white boy are pretty slim. A 10 year old African American with fetal alcohol syndrome would be a lot easier.
A lot easier to adopt? Maybe. A lot easier to parent, as a single person? Nope. The OP should decide what he can and cannot handle, being a single parent without a lot of money, before he considers adopting someone whom he may not be equipped to handle.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 PM

322 posts, read 319,646 times
IMHO, Domestic Infant Adoption is a very painful experience. I'm been collecting data for about 18+ months on adoption success rates and it's been a difficult and frustrating experience.

The adoption industry has too many traditional white couples seeking to adopt. This is especially true for couples that are unable to have children naturally. Even more so older couples that have exhausted their medical options and have reluctantly turned to adoption.

These older couples don't rank well on the adoption industry "Ken and Barbie" scale and have to use consultants that engage multiple adoption agencies and consultants in order to try to find them an infant. Success rates are very low. Adoption agencies go to great efforts to hide and distort adoption statistics, especially adoption failure statistics. Some of these failure statistics are as high as 88% ( seven couples out of eight will fail to find a match). Costs are in the high 50s/low 60s with multiple failures(2 to 3) costing $10,000+ per attempt.

Single women have even more difficulty adopting an infant. The adoption industry pushes these women to adopt infants with large exposures to illegal drugs. Again, very high failure rates.

I don't have any data on single men. I would imagine that the adoption industry would be very hesitant to work with single men as it's not their target demographic group. Costs are going to be very high, much higher than traditional couples, probably in line with gay men. Above 60K with lots of failures. I only have a few data sets on gay men, but that data shows very high costs 70k+ with multiple(4+) high costs failures (20k+). But this data consists of VERY small data sets and I don't think these data sets would be predictive or statistically valid.

I would wish you the best in your journey to adopt a child. I've seen the toil it takes on a traditional couples. Take care of yourself and don't let the journey destroy you.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:00 PM

912 posts, read 917,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't see too many people who are single males or who are not upper class who adopt . I just wonder how picky the adoption agencies are which is why im asking....
My best friend's sister has 8 children, most of which are adopted. The shocking part to me was that they were a single-income family, and he's a police officer (so hardly a hefty income, by most standards). She later became a dental hygienist (just recently), however, during the adoptions and the majority of the children's young years (most are in high school or going off to college now), her full time job was obviously "mom".

Also, my mother's best friend has adopted a few children. She is an older, single mom to boot. She moved to a more affordable State to afford a larger house for all the children she was adopting. She's on #5, at the moment.

So, while income does factor in, it's obviously not the largest criteria. Actually, now that I think of it, very few of the people I know that have adopted (within my own family and beyond) are people I'd consider as upper class.

As for the single males, well, that's the only demographic that I don't know personally that has adopted, so I can't speak knowledgely in that regard.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Actually, statistically, girls are adopted more in the U.S. (that is why we planned to adopt boys -- we wanted whomever was the least likely to get adopted since we figured their need was greater). Even more interesting that the preferred adoptive sex varies by country. But I get your point.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,037,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
My best friend's sister has 8 children, most of which are adopted. The shocking part to me was that they were a single-income family, and he's a police officer (so hardly a hefty income, by most standards). She later became a dental hygienist (just recently), however, during the adoptions and the majority of the children's young years (most are in high school or going off to college now), her full time job was obviously "mom".

Also, my mother's best friend has adopted a few children. She is an older, single mom to boot. She moved to a more affordable State to afford a larger house for all the children she was adopting. She's on #5, at the moment.

So, while income does factor in, it's obviously not the largest criteria. Actually, now that I think of it, very few of the people I know that have adopted (within my own family and beyond) are people I'd consider as upper class.

As for the single males, well, that's the only demographic that I don't know personally that has adopted, so I can't speak knowledgely in that regard.
Many "Older" child Adoptions / Special Needs Adoption come with a Adoption Subsidy from the state, (More or less) equal to the FosterCare BoardRate. ~$10-15/Day , Health Insurance is also included from medicaid.

Depending on the Age @ adoption many states give free/reduced college tuition to in state college for Foster/Adopt Children.

So ~6 x 15 x 365 = $33K on Subsidy a year, + with 10 and one income they may get SNAP ....

Old 12-11-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Many "Older" child Adoptions / Special Needs Adoption come with a Adoption Subsidy from the state, (More or less) equal to the FosterCare BoardRate. ~$10-15/Day , Health Insurance is also included from medicaid.

Depending on the Age @ adoption many states give free/reduced college tuition to in state college for Foster/Adopt Children.

So ~6 x 15 x 365 = $33K on Subsidy a year, + with 10 and one income they may get SNAP ....
I know. It's just still shocking to me that they'd adopt out 6 kids to a family that had already birthed two, and only on one small income. Shocking in a good way, because at the end of the day, these children need loving homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption