Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,102 times

Advertisements

All I hear are horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
All I hear are horror stories.
Like ...?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:59 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,287 times
I know many families who have adopted through foster care. And every single one of those first had to foster their child. And sometimes there was heartbreak when a child would have to leave their home. The foster care system is full of heartbreak all around; it is not an easy path. The families who I know who have been successful foster parents have done it more from a spiritual practice (caring for orphans). And sometimes, they got to adopt these children that they gave their hearts and souls to; other times they didn't. It is a leap of faith.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Like ...?
Long waits, for one. Foster care being less than transparent when it comes to the child's psychological problems and their outcome, children who return to their families of origin, interference or forced visits with the birth parents etc.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:55 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
Quote:
Long waits, for one. Foster care being less than transparent when it comes to the child's psychological problems and their outcome, children who return to their families of origin, interference or forced visits with the birth parents etc.
The purpose of foster care is NOT adoption. Children who return to their families of origin isn't a horror story, it's a success story (though yes, I realize it doesn't always turn out that way). Long waits are not a horror story.

Only children who have had parental rights terminated are free for adoption. Every other child is not. THAT is the reality of foster care and anyone who is considering foster care needs to accept that before going in to it.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:50 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,405 times
Two people I know were fostered, both seem to be like everyone else. Who knows if they were adopted, none of my business, and that's not what foster care is about anyway. One is a young lady who as a minor, ignored her hunger, so her parents helped her recover, and she is of a normal weight now, and has a wonderful family, herself. So it appears no horror stories there. I think to prevent horror stories, these children need adults who want to parent for the right reasons - for examples, it can't be because the potential parents are infertile or to add another to god's kingdom, or get money from the government, etc...

Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
I know many families who have adopted through foster care. And every single one of those first had to foster their child. And sometimes there was heartbreak when a child would have to leave their home. The foster care system is full of heartbreak all around; it is not an easy path. The families who I know who have been successful foster parents have done it more from a spiritual practice (caring for orphans). And sometimes, they got to adopt these children that they gave their hearts and souls to; other times they didn't. It is a leap of faith.

We would be using a private agency. There is no foster care involved. These children have already had their parental rights terminated. They have lived or are living with foster parents or in group homes.

There is no requirement that we foster first. I have heard of "Fost Adopt" programs in other states.

We are not interested in fostering or in the uncertainties that you speak of.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
We would be using a private agency. There is no foster care involved. These children have already had their parental rights terminated. They have lived or are living with foster parents or in group homes.

There is no requirement that we foster first. I have heard of "Fost Adopt" programs in other states.

Given your specific wants and needs, and the realities of differences in foster to adopt programs from state to state you may be better of looking for feedback in the Ohio forum itself.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,466 times
Quote:

Then what was the point of this thread?

Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Then what was the point of this thread?

Adopted OUT OF the FOSTER CARE SYSTEM. Children who's parents have lost their rights.

In other words, state adoption of domestic children who are available for adoption.

I am seeking information from parents who have done that and have had a good experience. Have not had to wait forever, (see other threads) have not had interference from former relatives of the child, bonded well and had a positive outcome.

We know of an agency who does this.

We want to know if anyone else has, and has had a good experience.

I think you have an agenda. Please save it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption