Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 PM

909 posts, read 671,035 times

Advertisements

My husband was adopted at birth 64 years ago. We always knew his birth mom's name from the court dockets when the adoption was finalized. He never had any interest in finding her and his dad was listed as unknown. A few years ago a friend of mine found his adopted family and it was good. So my DH sent for his birth certificate since Illinois opened the records. His came with all information redacted which the birth parent can do. So we knew she was still alive. This got him a little angry especially because he knew her name.
He did his DNA on Ancestry and found a few cousins. Since we knew her name I joined a few search sites and Newspapers.com. Put in her name and was able to find her marriages and other children. Steve did write to her and her nothing. He then contacted his 3 half siblings. Two of them responded and never knew this happened. They talked to their mom and she said she doesn't want to revisit the past. He has met his siblings and they are great.
A few months ago on Ancestry a close relative on his dad's side showed up. I contacted them because I was positive it was his paternal aunt. Jackpot! She always suspected that Gloria was pregnant but she said in the 1950s you didn't ask questions. His bio dad died about 18 years ago. He has 3 half siblings. He looks just like his dad. It is scary to see the resemblance. Two weeks ago we met his aunt, half-sister and assorted family. They have also been great. They brought pictures and shared stories. His half-sister cried when seeing him since he looks like her dad. Steve talks to his aunt once a week. He is Facebook friends with the rest.
For us it has been a positive experience. Steve is fine with his mom not wanting to meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 10:30 AM

254 posts, read 342,243 times
Once you get your DNA back from Ancestry, see https://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844. Scroll down to where it says Now to the DNA; I tell you how to upload to My Heritage for free family matching. For a fee (I believe $30) you can get access to surnames and trees of matches, matches by country which can be very useful if he's not in the US. FTDNA gives free family matching, for $19 you can get ethnicity, ancient ethnicity and chromosome browser. Note that they allow the FBI to also upload crime scene DNA. FTDNA is useful for you in case your son tries to do a Y-DNA to search the father line or an mtDNA test which will tell him your line if there is a match. There is also GEDmatch Genesis which supports uploads from 23 and me and smaller sites. If you have $100 I do suggest also testing at 23 and me where a lot of adoptees test to find their health information.

Adoption - Reunion Tips (non DNA)[/quote]

[b]Adoptee her: I found my paternal side a few years ago at age 59 through Ancestry.....! Had a match to a "1st cousin" and took it from there.......good luck.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:58 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,054,327 times
Thanks Anjcohen. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption