Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 23 days ago)

35,722 posts, read 18,073,030 times

Advertisements

anjcohen, your story isn't unique for your time. I don't think there's anything you can do about this, except maybe read about how many others are in your same place?

Georgia Tann, founder of the Tennessee Children's Home, made infant adoption extremely popular in the early 1900's through 1960's, where as before no one willingly adopted infants. Unwanted infants were considered a burden to anyone except their own parents, and virtually no one willingly sought to adopt one. Older children were adopted with the intent of making them work, but unwanted newborns weren't adopted to be members of the family.

Tann made a business of it. Often stealing children from lower class families up to the age of 7, it was believed that those children were better off in wealthier families, and children were clean slates. And the community backed her, believing those children given "better" parents were better off.

You might start with the book "The Baby Thief" by Barbara Raymond. In the back are resources for adults who were adopted under shady circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,413,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
My father was a NY police officer (1950's). Heard about a baby being born and to be given up. I was a product of an affair bio-mother had. Long story short, born and just handed over outside hospital to a husband and wife (later adoptive parents). They even had a false birth certificate.

When I was 5 years old are to be enrolled in school, I did not have a SS #. Husband and wife with attorney presented case to a judge (all closed doors) for my adoption. Judge ordered a investigative search and legal posting in newspaper looking for bio-parents. Investigators found bio-parents but husband basically threw them out claiming his wife (my bio-mother was very ill). Having some police connections back then, investigators told judge bio-parents could not be located.

I was then legally adopted at age 5. I remember that day in court. The false birth certificate had a birthdate 6 months prior to my actual birthdate. For some reason my adoptive parents continued to use that date for me and I was told by adoptive mother at age 20 my actual birthdate was 6 months prior! This is after obtaining a drivers license and enlisting into the military (all having that birthdate).

Anyway, my adopted brother and sister (separate families) were legally adopted as infants and through an agency in NY that vetted the parents, etc etc. gain, I was a pre-arranged unwanted non-vetted hand over baby.
I would think bio-mother could have been charged for child abandonment and adoptive parents charged for human trafficking....(what ever that legal term back then would have been).
If your parents could be sued or prosecuted for human trafficking, your bio parents would be also. Since they participated in it willingly. During the baby scoop era that lasted until the 1980s, many children were literally stolen or taken forcefully from their birth mothers. You could always talk to an attorney and see what they have to say.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:14 AM

9,327 posts, read 14,950,469 times
Were your adoptive parents good parents to you? If they were, then why pursue anything now? They must have been desperate to have a child and your mother felt she had no choice but to give you up. You need to make emotional peace with that.

The only thing I can think you'd want to do now is find out who your biological parents were so you could pursue your true ancestry.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM

801 posts, read 617,117 times
You need to find yourself some peace and let this go. Your adoptive parents may have been cruel but a life with your natural parents may have been just as much. They certainly thought so or they wouldn't have given you up.

Many people live with trauma. This is yours. Address it, certainly, but you need to find a way to work through it and lay it down; don't let it rule your life, if you want to be happy. If you DO, however, wish to torture yourself for the remaining years of your life, this is a good way to do it.

Move on.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:30 AM

254 posts, read 342,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Were your adoptive parents good parents to you? If they were, then why pursue anything now? They must have been desperate to have a child and your mother felt she had no choice but to give you up. You need to make emotional peace with that.

The only thing I can think you'd want to do now is find out who your biological parents were so you could pursue your true ancestry.

Oh, I am much past all that at my age of 62. I did not grow up in a good home. I did have my adoption records sealed after being legally adopted at age 5 in New York.

I found out through my adoptive mother my birth name and real birthday. After years of denial, while in my 30's I hired an investigator and found my bio-maternal side. I have 4 - 1/2 siblings on that side. Bio-mother died of breast cancer so never met (side note: in dying letter she mentioned how much pain she was in after giving me away). I am in contact with one 1/2 sibling, look alike, same demeanor, speak all the time.

Discovered my paternal side through ancestry.com just a few years ago! Bio-father (had affair with bio-mother) passed away 10 years ago. I have 2 - 1/2 siblings on that side. Talk to 1 sister quite often.

I found all my answers and feel blessed. When looking back and discussing my being basically handed over outside a hospital to basically strangers (later adoptive parents) and growing up in a abusive home, my 1/2 brother (we just call each other brothers) and I thought I was a victim of human trafficking and just threw it our there for discussion.

Trust me, I am VERY happy and made a wonderful family! Blessed with the best wife in the world, 3 children and 6 grandchildren! I have no ill feelings and feel fortunate for what I have. Its been a long journey an done I believe 90% of adoptees pursue. Its my recommendation to those adoptive parents out there (no matter when they adopted) is to offer any and all information to your adopted child. They have that right........

Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,413,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Were your adoptive parents good parents to you? If they were, then why pursue anything now? They must have been desperate to have a child and your mother felt she had no choice but to give you up.y.
I disagree with this in many ways. Child trafficking is still wrong no matter how badly someone wants to have a child or how good of a home they can provide for the child. There is a sense of loss for the person who was taken from their birth parents, something that perhaps many non-adopted people can't understand.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM

254 posts, read 342,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I disagree with this in many ways. Child trafficking is still wrong no matter how badly someone wants to have a child or how good of a home they can provide for the child. There is a sense of loss for the person who was taken from their birth parents, something that perhaps many non-adopted people can't understand.

OP HERE: Thank you!

Old 04-26-2019, 02:32 PM

1,065 posts, read 600,267 times
Since the strangers who became your parents caused harm with the falsified information, I'd consult an attorney.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:49 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I was also born in the 1950s. I signed my original SS card. My siblings, also born in the 50s, signed theirs. Obviously our parents didn't just obtain the cards or numbers when we were born!!

True enough. I was born in 57, and I didn't get one until 75 or 76.

My kids were born in the 80's, and they got SS #s as babies. My last one, the boy I gave up for adoption got one as a baby as well. I imagine he got a different one though, once the adoption was finalized.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:26 PM

14,377 posts, read 11,783,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I was also born in the 1950s. I signed my original SS card. My siblings, also born in the 50s, signed theirs. Obviously our parents didn't just obtain the cards or numbers when we were born!!
I was born much later, 1969, and I remember the day my SS card came in the mail and I signed it! I was about 7. My siblings, who would have been 10, 13, and 16, all got theirs at the same time. My oldest sister needed to get a SS number so she could get a job. My mom thought it would be easiest to order them for all of us at the same time. For sure, no one was asking for a child's SS number when they entered school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption