Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:39 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,465,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
Using your logic, fat people shouldn't be able to adopt, as kids are heckeld if they have a fat parent. I was heckled because I didn't wear the name brand clothes. Perhaps middle income parents should not adopt. My daughter was made fun of because she took salads to school. And my sister in law was heckled for being a foster child. Maybe we should prohibit that, as well.

Will any adult on this site who has not been bullied about something please speak up? That way we will have a bead on who should be able to adopt.
Well, about the bullying part I do believe in the very first or second sentence I mentioned something about being bullied in school.

I'll put a similar situation to you albeit not the exact same. There was a guy I went to school with in high school and everyone suspected he was gay. Ok, fine, not a big deal to me, but to some kids that was their "Target". They did everything they could to torment and torture that guy because he was suspected of being homosexual. It didn't matter if he was or wasn't it was just reason of suspicion. Now, I went to a school in Tennessee, in the middle of the Bible Belt and I'm sure a lot of these bullies were taught at home how morally wrong homosexuality was and saw it as an excuse to attack someone. I was merely pointing out the fact that there may be an undue stressor in your child's life that may have side effects later on in his/her life. It also depends on the area of the country they are going to send said child. If they were in a city with a large homosexual community such as Miami or San Francisco it might not be as big of a deal. So, yes, kids are going to be bullied in some way, shape, form or fashion. It's part of growing up. I just know how cruel kids can be and having same sex parents just seems like it would put a big fat bullseye on them. But, then again, I could be wrong and because Christian parents have raised Christian children their children will be so loving and accepting of this child with "different" parents. That's always how it goes isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,757,430 times
I think there's one thing that should be considered. Even if the children are not actually bullied-I would think they'd be alienated.

I don't think parents who spend their money on religious schooling expect to deal with issues like homosexuality.

So, while the kids themselves may or may not bully, you should consider things like birthday parties and play dates that they may not be included in. It may not seem fair to you but I think that's the reality of it.

I'm still wondering if you do attend church, and if so, what the feedback is there?

Just for the record, although Marks approach may have been strong-he does have a point in there somewhere. The OP talks about sending to religious schools for morality issues. The fact of the matter is, homosexuality is considered immoral according to Christianity. Of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't love homosexuals or treat them like children of God, but it does seem hypocritical for the OP to choose a religious school.

I hope you make the right choice for your family. Just remember if you choose to send your kids to public school, there's alway church and Sunday school. My kids go to public school but they are very involved in church choir, bible study, and other activities, and of course what we teach them at home. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2007, 05:34 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I think there's one thing that should be considered. Even if the children are not actually bullied-I would think they'd be alienated.

I don't think parents who spend their money on religious schooling expect to deal with issues like homosexuality.

So, while the kids themselves may or may not bully, you should consider things like birthday parties and play dates that they may not be included in. It may not seem fair to you but I think that's the reality of it.

I'm still wondering if you do attend church, and if so, what the feedback is there?

Just for the record, although Marks approach may have been strong-he does have a point in there somewhere. The OP talks about sending to religious schools for morality issues. The fact of the matter is, homosexuality is considered immoral according to Christianity. Of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't love homosexuals or treat them like children of God, but it does seem hypocritical for the OP to choose a religious school.

I hope you make the right choice for your family. Just remember if you choose to send your kids to public school, there's alway church and Sunday school. My kids go to public school but they are very involved in church choir, bible study, and other activities, and of course what we teach them at home. Good luck!
If everyone had to follow the Bible WORD FOR WORD to attend Christian schools (without being called a hypocrite), the schools would be completely empty. I get what you're saying, but there is no reason a gay parent can't or shouldn't choose a religious school for their children... if these are their beliefs, they deserve to have the same opportunities to have their child in a Christian environment. And I bet money they'd be less "sinful" than many of the other kid's parents - LOL.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:51 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,952 times
"The fact of the matter is, homosexuality is considered immoral according to Christianity. Of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't love homosexuals or treat them like children of God, but it does seem hypocritical for the OP to choose a religious school."

So is it hypocritical for a divorced Catholic to send their child to Catholic school? Is it hypocritical for any Christian who has committed adultury to have their children attend Christian school?

Like I said earlier, I'm atheist, and I can't imagine ever wanting to send my child to a Christian school, or take them to church. I think there are a myriad of other ways to teach children "morality", but if the OP wants to send his children to Christian school, he is no more hypocritical than just about anyone else whose child goes b/c haven't we all "sinned" by Christian standards?

BTW, let me just be clear that I do NOT think being homosexual is a "sin." I am just going by your argument. Also, not every church considers it a sin, so you're wrong about that.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:55 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
"The fact of the matter is, homosexuality is considered immoral according to Christianity. Of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't love homosexuals or treat them like children of God, but it does seem hypocritical for the OP to choose a religious school."

So is it hypocritical for a divorced Catholic to send their child to Catholic school? Is it hypocritical for any Christian who has committed adultury to have their children attend Christian school?

Like I said earlier, I'm atheist, and I can't imagine ever wanting to send my child to a Christian school, or take them to church. I think there are a myriad of other ways to teach children "morality", but if the OP wants to send his children to Christian school, he is no more hypocritical than just about anyone else whose child goes b/c haven't we all "sinned" by Christian standards?
Why not go to a Catholic school????

The child isn't the bearer of the sin
they still need to learn of God and consequences

Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,757,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post

BTW, let me just be clear that I do NOT think being homosexual is a "sin." I am just going by your argument. Also, not every church considers it a sin, so you're wrong about that.
I wasn't arguing. Just pointing out the truth about how the child may feel left out.

And I don't know about specific denominations, but homosexuality is considered a sin in Christianity. If there are religious schools that are open to same sex couples with children, then the op should have no problem. That was the point of my first post here. The reactions of other children and their parents can vary well depend on the region.

Also, yes, we are all sinners. I never argued anything to the contrary.

The fact also remains that private schools determine their own standards, don't they? So, what Gizmo said about it being everyone's "right" to go to a religious school isn't actually true. It's everyone's right to attend public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption