Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 08:23 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

AI generated homework graded by an AI generated teacher

The future looks bright doesn't it

We're already getting AI generated news in the MSM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 09:28 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
A lot of parents and students don't care about the feedback teachers give, and the teachers probably know who these families are.
And a lot of parents do. Seems like this is just the parental version of the same thing that bothers me about classes -- the lowest performers are driving how the class is taught, or in this case, feedback is given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In 13 years of teaching, it was RARE for a parent to ever ask for more feedback than the quarterly report card. Heck, it was tough getting parents in for conferences.
I understand that. But what about the parents that do come in and do expect to get useful information from the conferences? We, along with many others attended almost every conference while our kids were in school. But most of the time the feedback was along the lines of "your child is doing great; behaves well in class; has a little trouble with X but is getting it." Pretty standard stuff. No actionable feedback.

I fully understand that not all parents are like that and there are plenty who couldn't care less if their kid was even in school, but that shouldn't drive how teachers interact with parents. Most of us really do care and do want good, actionable, feedback. We seldom get it.

Quote:
And, in 20 years of administration, I never heard even one parent complain to me about teachers not giving sufficient feedback.
Why would they have? By that time too many parents have heard "talk to the hand" so often they don't bother. There are a lot of parents who care out there. I've been in the meetings with the auditorium full of them. And who all left the meetings ticked off because of the "talk to the hand" attitude toward them. These are the parents teachers say they want -- involved, active, willing, yet it seems the school system does everything it can to alienate their best allies.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:12 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And a lot of parents do. Seems like this is just the parental version of the same thing that bothers me about classes -- the lowest performers are driving how the class is taught, or in this case, feedback is given.

I understand that. But what about the parents that do come in and do expect to get useful information from the conferences? We, along with many others attended almost every conference while our kids were in school. But most of the time the feedback was along the lines of "your child is doing great; behaves well in class; has a little trouble with X but is getting it." Pretty standard stuff. No actionable feedback.

I fully understand that not all parents are like that and there are plenty who couldn't care less if their kid was even in school, but that shouldn't drive how teachers interact with parents. Most of us really do care and do want good, actionable, feedback. We seldom get it.

Why would they have? By that time too many parents have heard "talk to the hand" so often they don't bother. There are a lot of parents who care out there. I've been in the meetings with the auditorium full of them. And who all left the meetings ticked off because of the "talk to the hand" attitude toward them. These are the parents teachers say they want -- involved, active, willing, yet it seems the school system does everything it can to alienate their best allies.
If I ever heard you say anything good about American education, I'd probably drop dead.

Okay, you've told me what you think. And now I'll tell you what I think -- helicopter parent. It's the opposite extreme from parents who are not involved in their child's education.

Old 03-15-2023, 05:39 AM

24,624 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, when big city district administrators prioritize paperwork over teaching or classroom discipline, teachers will use whatever means are available to reduce the burden.
And so will students.

Quote:
A student used the controversial bot ChatGPT to write one of his university essays - and it passed
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-...e-bot-29162778

Old 03-15-2023, 07:53 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
This essentially is what I was saying. Please explain the logic between these two positions.

Here you complain about parents not being involved.

Quote:
In 13 years of teaching, it was RARE for a parent to ever ask for more feedback than the quarterly report card. Heck, it was tough getting parents in for conferences.
And here you complain that the parents who are involved are "helicopter parents."

Quote:
Okay, you've told me what you think. And now I'll tell you what I think -- helicopter parent. It's the opposite extreme from parents who are not involved in their child's education.
Which is it that teachers want?

Old 03-15-2023, 07:55 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Which is it that teachers want?
A huge paycheck and the ability to stay home, under warm covers, not having to deal with anyone.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:13 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
Either get rid of student feedback reports if teachers/adminstrators are spinning the story that they are superfluous/ignored, or make an honest real effort.

Don't hide behind the empty argument of trivialization to justify lazy use of AI - it is insincere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI