Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 10:45 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

i keep seeing stories like this-

Study: AI Chatbots Could Impact Up to 80% of the Labor Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 11:50 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The 3.5 is free, 4.0 is $20/month. And 4 is vastly more capable.
Even the paid tier (and I am a customer) is part of their data mining. There is no privacy in the data. I can’t see anyone using the public service for anything confidential or proprietary.

Old 03-28-2023, 12:02 PM

3,226 posts, read 1,606,559 times
From what I have read it costs OpenAI about $1 a month per user.

In December, they predicted $200 million in revenue for 2023, and $1 billion revenue for 2024.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:26 PM

1,698 posts, read 613,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
From what I have read it costs OpenAI about $1 a month per user.

In December, they predicted $200 million in revenue for 2023, and $1 billion revenue for 2024.
Yep and that wealth will go to a very small number of people meanwhile it puts thousands of middle class workers out work. Dark times ahead. The old horseless buggy argument does not apply here. The scope, breadth and pace of change this technology is capable of is beyond anything the world has ever seen. We are not capable of predicting what changes it will bring.

Old 03-28-2023, 03:11 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

The sub heading of the above is worth note:

It might be a good time to start learning a skilled trade.

Old 03-28-2023, 04:50 PM

1,174 posts, read 550,786 times
As usual the liberal hipster nerds think it’s cool because they don’t see past the stop sign. If AI stayed in the medical field then yes it will make a great contribution, but anything else it’s just gonna strip away jobs and careers from the middle class.

Old 03-28-2023, 05:56 PM

3,648 posts, read 1,602,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've always been a tech type guy. Every since I was young. I have a background in electronics and worked in technical roles for most of my life.

I understand how things generally work and I'm sort of just wired that way.

That said, this AI thing has really got me a little taken aback. The potential for abuse is extremely high in my opinion, verging on dangerous.

Saw some guy that was responsible for developing ChatGPT and he was saying that it can be dangerous and he himself has some concerns. Hopefully people smarter than I can figure out how to harness this and keep some kinds of checks and balances in place as this technology further develops.
It can also save people from harm, or even potentially their lives. I think it diagnosed a dog that was very sick, after analyzing the blood work. It got the diagnosis correct. A lot of potential for doing good things.

What I want to know is when I'm presented with AI of any type. We need to have it ID itself. A news network could use an AI virtual person and if so, they need to show on the screen you are viewing an AI newscaster.

It could also happen that someone will fund an AI virtual person to run for office. It will be smarter then any other candidate. All it has to do is win a primary. And that may be easier then we think.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
Chatgpt (4 or otherwise) is not "intelligence". It is a computer program that responds the way the programmers told it to respond, in an effort by those programmers to fool people into believing it's something capable of "intelligence".

Evidently those programmers are starting to find more and more willing dupes eager to believe it's "intelligence".

Just as the people trying to tell us that a man can become a woman just by wishing it so, are trying (with some success) to find willing dupes of their own.
So it is just a bot with a lot of program lines.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:12 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
https://www.zdnet.com/article/chatgp...-ai-model-can/

To create the music, the system is trained on a 280,000-hour dataset of unlabeled music that teaches MusicLM to generate long and coherent music at 25 kHz, according to the paper.

This isn't Google's, or the industry's, first attempt at an AI song system. OpenAI, the AI research company behind ChatGPT and DALL-E, has its own version, JukeBox, which has yet to be released to the public. Riffusion, a neural network that produces music using images of sound, is already available to the public now.
But is that what AI is? Most people think of AI like "Ultron". This seems to be using a program to fill in words that match the beat and rhythm.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:02 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Here's an article written by a techie who has been playing with AI of this sort for years but now he's a little disturbed by how quickly they're reaching human performance. There's still an overall optimistic tone to it but you can sense a bit of unease:

https://radekosmulski.com/there-is-s...-of-ai-better/

This graph pretty much sums up his concerns:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI