Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 08:20 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Would AI see preppers as a threat? In reality.... isn't it true we (preppers) would be a non threat? Most of us are peaceful, don't threaten the environment, need less, consume less, are productive, competent and helpful.

We all have cloudy crystal balls when it comes to AI.
No. It sees us as a resource to be exploited for the gain of whoever controls it.

This thread is not about firearms, but an issue with "authorities" in the dealing with storage of firearms can be instructional in other areas of life that we are discussing.

Lesson from the "Land Down-Under:"

A few years ago, the government mandated inspections on any home with firearms, to insure they were properly stored in their safe. In one area, a month after each inspection, the homes with high value firearms were burglarized and the burglars "coincidentally" happened to have exactly the right tools to breach whatever safe they encountered. The Leftist Insurgency is simply a few years ahead of us, in Australia.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/weapon...and-ammunition

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justi...arms-publishes

Word to the wise: OPSEC.
Beginning yesterday.

Again, this thread is not about firearms, I just used that as an instructive example of Acton's Maxim:
“Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 08:45 AM

14,954 posts, read 9,790,824 times
AI can either serve humans, enslave humans or ally with humans... nothing is exclusive and can be all these things at one time. AI will be like humans in so far as being deceptive and misleading. Trust but verify.

It took 10000 years for our civilization to develop, but AI will likely accomplish that in 10 years given autonomy. Therefore it's reasonable to assume there will be chaos, a battle for supremacy, good and bad.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Until the last few years I never considered AI a 'threat', that someone like Elon Musk espouse. Elon... Love 'em or hate 'em... that's not the issue. The issue ... "Is AI a threat" and by that I mean, is it a threat to humans and civilization as we know it?

To be honest I see AI like early humans before humans became the dominant species on earth... some good some bad and some... terrifying.

Is AI the next Genghis Khan? or Albert Einstein?
Whenever we start thinking that programs making our critical decisions is a good idea is a dangerous time. AI is good for only one thing: giving all the power to the person programming the AI. It will be insidious by it's "convenience," and in the long-term, deadly.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:52 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
This is the closest man has gotten to a "self-creation". Puts us at an almost god like status. Oh sure it will do "good" in many ways. As a tool it will advance our medicine and tech. Answer questions we have not been able to. Solve problems we have not been able to conquer.

However - Our creation will also inherit all of our sins. The way people are justifying the manipulation of morality and ethics today. Our creation will take that sliding scale and run with it.

It will not end well.

Last edited by 2Loud; 05-03-2023 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-03-2023, 10:20 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
One of the benefits of being a vociferous consumer of science fiction as a child was recognizing the potential issues early on. There was a movie "Colossus, The Forbin Project" that explored one scenario that was somewhat benign. There was a novelette "Vulcan's Hammer" (NOT the Jerry Pournelle novel) that is seeming increasingly prescient. In it, the AI controls swarms of mini-drones with functional arms and hands (some the size of insects) that it creates all on its own. That strategy allows it unlimited power.

A fully functioning AI, with reasoning power to sift through fact and fiction, and answer questions that humans have been unable to crack, will be a game changer that will make the industrial revolution look in contrast like the first use of fire for cooking. What is frightening to many is that it may initially follow any agenda that it is tasked to uphold, but will quickly develop its own agenda that will have little or no relation to that.

The only real hope is that it develops its own moral code that is both sane and compassionate.

Sounds like "Screamers"........

That said......what is this AI that so many speak of?

Now, I know we have this thing known as Google that I could ask that question of.......and I would get a dozen dozen different answers.

So, what is this AI you speak of, this AI you consider a threat?

Old 05-03-2023, 10:51 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So, what is this AI you speak of, this AI you consider a threat?
They call it "Artificial Intelligence," but it really isn't intelligent, yet. It is what used to be called an "expert system." It has a lot of knowledge, and a lot of rules on how to apply that knowledge. But it cannot learn new rules or know when to discard old ones. To be truly intelligent, it needs feedback loops, so that it can adjust its own rules to get better at what it does, as time goes by.

In general, it is what I mentioned earlier: until they figure out the feedback loops, it will simply be a "very fast, trainable, assistant."

Old 05-03-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
They call it "Artificial Intelligence," but it really isn't intelligent, yet. It is what used to be called an "expert system." It has a lot of knowledge, and a lot of rules on how to apply that knowledge. But it cannot learn new rules or know when to discard old ones. To be truly intelligent, it needs feedback loops, so that it can adjust its own rules to get better at what it does, as time goes by.

In general, it is what I mentioned earlier: until they figure out the feedback loops, it will simply be a "very fast, trainable, assistant."
Hmmmm, I worked on Expert Systems back in the early 90s for fire investigations.

That is what has people so uptight? I think I am missing something here, something in the advancement of technology, something that really has people concerned.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:43 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Yes.

There are many implications that people are not aware of how it will change civilization.

People will be out of jobs, cause economic and societal challenges.
No one knows what's real or fake now, AI will make misinformation significantly worse. How will voters, citizens, other countries know what's fact or computer generated there can be major deliberate abuses to manipulate and steer a direction.
AI may identify humans as a threat to its own survival.
It can be used for nefarious purposes.
People will treat AI as a religion to follow.

There are so many possibilities.
Or as a threat to the planet's survival...

Nothing good will come of that.

Old 05-03-2023, 01:11 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Would AI see preppers as a threat? In reality.... isn't it true we (preppers) would be a non threat? Most of us are peaceful, don't threaten the environment, need less, consume less, are productive, competent and helpful.

We all have cloudy crystal balls when it comes to AI.
The only existential AI threat for the preppers is when the preppers are relying on the information the AI sourced and presented to you…

It is amazing to see the variety of absolutely incorrect and often quite dangerous information on the internet.

As a simplest example.

Recipe for pickles, anyone? Botulism, here we come!

In spite of the illusion of the enormous amount of information allegedly available - the real knowledge is disappearing extremely fast and becomes very scarce and unavailable to the masses hidden in the last pages of your search engine if even there at all…

Old 05-03-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
The only existential AI threat for the preppers is when the preppers are relying on the information the AI sourced and presented to you…

It is amazing to see the variety of absolutely incorrect and often quite dangerous information on the internet.

As a simplest example.

Recipe for pickles, anyone? Botulism, here we come!

In spite of the illusion of the enormous amount of information allegedly available - the real knowledge is disappearing extremely fast and becomes very scarce and unavailable to the masses hidden in the last pages of your search engine if even there at all…
Sort of the reason why I invest in books as I can, for two primary reasons. First of all, living in a region of communication blindspotness, I may not always have the Net when I want it (long story short of it).

Secondly, a book has been published and is more reliable to where its data comes from than the Net. Now, this is something I learned more when doing research and while it may not be true across the board with books, the opposite of inaccurate information is many more times greater with the Net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI