Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 06:20 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's likely in 3-4 years from now many repetitive jobs that are low tech will be eliminated completely by ChatGPT or AI.

Take ordering food, AI can easily answer questions or explain options with the menu items more consistent than humans.

Processing any paperwork like applications, general questions with filing papers, etc will all be done by AI.

Legal, tech, and even medical questions and answers can be done with Chatbots to gather the data and processed before someone reviews and approve prescriptions, tech work, or approving loans etc.

ChatGPT also makes excellent online tutors, lecturers, and presenters if there's a seminar, online course, or selling a product it can act more lifelike than watching a video.

AI can also solve real life problems like directing traffic at an intersection better than dumb pop-up signs.

I'm working with businesses that are looking into how to utilize AI to generate new leads and services.
"AI" is simply another term for automation, and this has been taking jobs for 50 years.

For example in engineering. "Back in the day" it took a large team of engineers to develop a product, since much of our work required manual labor - drafting by hand, analysis by hand calculation.

The has been reduced by a factor of 4 at least, as almost all of that work is done with CAE tools, from 3D modeling through computer aided analysis. Physical testing is still required for complex systems like automobiles, but the need for that is also slowly going away.

We are calling it "AI" now, but it is the same technology we have been working on since the 70's, the only difference is the expansion of the knowledge base, the sophistication of the decision logic, and the subsequent application into new arenas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 07:52 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I have a fairly minor legal case going on.

I've been really dissatisfied with the attorney working on the case. While ChatGPT does not give legal advice, I got a much better answer from ChatGPT in a general sense.

It would have taken this guy's lunch money if given a chance.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:58 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It's likely in 3-4 years from now many repetitive jobs that are low tech will be eliminated completely by ChatGPT or AI.

Take ordering food, AI can easily answer questions or explain options with the menu items more consistent than humans.

Processing any paperwork like applications, general questions with filing papers, etc will all be done by AI.

Legal, tech, and even medical questions and answers can be done with Chatbots to gather the data and processed before someone reviews and approve prescriptions, tech work, or approving loans etc.

ChatGPT also makes excellent online tutors, lecturers, and presenters if there's a seminar, online course, or selling a product it can act more lifelike than watching a video.

AI can also solve real life problems like directing traffic at an intersection better than dumb pop-up signs.

I'm working with businesses that are looking into how to utilize AI to generate new leads and services.
Google Home Assistant can't even divide by fractions. I think there's a ways to go...

Old 05-15-2023, 11:03 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I use my phone app to order Chick-fil-Aor McDonald's. McDonald's has kiosks inside their restaurants where you can place your order. There is a test McDonalds restaurant where the food is sent automatically to the drive thru customer.
None of that is AI.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:44 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,146,060 times
+ Will robots replace posters here on this forum? That is the question for you today, humans.
+
+ HAL1293-C6Z1 Message Complete. Logged out at 20230515.13:41.2143

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-15-2023 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-15-2023, 12:57 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
None of that is AI.
Did I say it was? I was responding to a statement that in the future fast food order taking won't need people. My point was that already exists. And I did mention AI and Wendy's in the same comment, you omitted that.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:09 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Anyone here actually used ChatGPT?

I have, and it is pretty pathetic.

The way it is advertised with dazzling displays related to VERY specific applications where they have plenty of time to make it all look marvelous is misleading.

Try using it for something applicable to a real world problem and you get responses which are no better, and generally worse, than a simple google search.

Pffft. Call me in a few years and let's see how it is going. I'll wait.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:55 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,354,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Right... you need additional investment beyond the AI itself. You need the screen, at the minimum. Perhaps a robot if it's making your meal for you.
This is one area I wholeheartedly support AI replacing people. Guarantee AI would not screw up my order as often as the minimum wage employees do.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:05 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Technology is good, but not when it takes jobs away from people.
Technology can never take jobs away from people, as the jobs don't belong to people in the first place.

I remember many decades ago in India local governments banned personal computers with word processing systems in favor of traditional typewriters: they didn't want technology to eliminate jobs. Quite bone-headed.

I celebrate technology's role in eliminating the mundane in favor of higher value-added activities. That's how productivity is increased, and as we all know, labor receives the bulk of return to productivity improvements with capital receiving the minority.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:11 AM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
It would be helpful to the discussion if you were to post at least some summary of hyperlinks rather than just naked hyperlinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI