Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I understand. And I don't have the answers either.
Me neither. And everyone has their own (individual) limits. A lot of the minor annoyances people complain about don't bother me. If it came down to having to worry about picking bullet slugs out of the window frame I'd think about moving too. But if people as a whole would ride it out when things started getting a little bit bad that's as bad as it would get - maybe even go the other direction.

But that's also only part of the story - people like new things, and tastes change. Some people LIKE McMansions on streets with no sidewalks and no nearby access to commerce. And you're simply not going to find that lifestyle in Highland Square, or Kenmore, or any other older neighborhood. So eventually the times catch up anyway.

Unless of course you can get a bulk of people who prefer the housing stock and neighborhood layout, (and are willing to accept more than zero crime) which has been done successfully in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,247 times
Caleb Longstreet - You hit it dead on. I grew up in West Akron and left in 1976. My sister told me that when section 8 hit that area in the 80's things went bad quick.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 AM

161 posts, read 328,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtakron View Post
But yet Summa and AGMC keep building and building.........and the same is true for the University. I think there is more money there than you think.
The money is concentrated. I came back to visit my relatives and saw that tower Summa has downtown. I often wonder if anyone other than Summa, AGMC and the University has any money. I think I already know what the answer is ...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 15,053 times
Default don't walk...RUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_informer View Post
Noticing more 'For Sale' signs in the North Hawkins/Thurmont area. Treeside, Zahn, Dominion, parts of Thurmont are all now section 8 hellholes! I'm starting to see a similar pattern take shape on S. Miller/Chamberlain/Kenridge in Fairlawn - Jacoby (Windsor Park Estates) in Copley. How do we as a community stop the spread of this disease known as section 8 housing?
My escape plan from Little Detroit (Akron, OH) is currently being executed. Anyone know where the section 8 properties are located in Cuyahoga Falls? I would like to avoid the area!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_thumb View Post
Little Detroit (Akron, OH)
Overstatement of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_thumb View Post
Anyone know where the section 8 properties are located in Cuyahoga Falls? I would like to avoid the area!
You'll have to avoid the Falls almost completely then. Even the part that is in Woodridge School District (Northampton) has subsidized apartment complexes. And don't forget the full-on housing project on Prange Drive.

OHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Default Who would have thunk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Caleb Longstreet - You hit it dead on. I grew up in West Akron and left in 1976. My sister told me that when section 8 hit that area in the 80's things went bad quick.

Totsuka,

Did you ever in your wildest imagination think that the Thurmont area would be section 8???? The same guy that did it here did the same to the ones off Winchester in Fairlawn. That whole Miller Road area is going to go slowly but, surely. The Mall was a nice one the whole way through back in the day when Polsky's (remember them?), O'Neil's, and one I can't remember....Halley? Ahhhh, whatever.....no matter, it's time has come.....and gone......

And then, there's the weather.....heh heh heh....there's just NO helping that....I was perusing the weather forecast for Akron on 3/31.....low....drum roll.....16......and that wasn't counting the wind chill....March 31.....as in almost April......and it was a low of 16 and a high of like 31......meanwhile, down South, we were wearing t-shirts by day, sweatshirts by night....

God must have a particular hate for that part of the country...it's just too damn cold for too damn long.....

I don't even imagine they have the sledding at the end of North Hawkins like they used to ?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Halley?
Halle's.

Quote:
And then, there's the weather.....heh heh heh....there's just NO helping that....I was perusing the weather forecast for Akron on 3/31.....low....drum roll.....16......and that wasn't counting the wind chill....March 31.....as in almost April......and it was a low of 16 and a high of like 31......meanwhile, down South, we were wearing t-shirts by day, sweatshirts by night....
It IS too cold for too long here. I like the 4 seasons but I really dislike that it can still snow in April.

On the other hand, depending on where you are in the south or southwest, the summertime can be three months of unbearable heat. Like, atrocious. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying beautiful days and warm nights. Summers here are fantastic. So, I don't know that going from a/c in the car to a/c in the office to a/c in the house for several months is much different than heat in the car to heat in the office to heat in the house.

Quote:
I don't even imagine they have the sledding at the end of North Hawkins like they used to ?
That's still a hot spot for sledding.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 15,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Overstatement of the year.

You'll have to avoid the Falls almost completely then. Even the part that is in Woodridge School District (Northampton) has subsidized apartment complexes. And don't forget the full-on housing project on Prange Drive.

OHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Oh no indeed!

Maybe it's time to explore building an undersea city.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:36 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Default Touche' my friend....

[quote=SquareBetterThanAll;18601303]Halle's.

Touche my friend and well played sir....however, kicking "stalagtites" off your fender wells for 4 months in the winter while the salty brew sloooooowly dissolves the ferris metals unto which your car was made, as well as watching the clear coat go in 2 years does not exactly invite a great place either my friend?

Couple that with the somewhat routine ritual of scrrrrapppppppppping ice off the windshield while the car is "warming up" for 5 minutes or so (and gas is $3.51 a gallon and rising), or, digging it out AND scrapping the windshields does not exactly invite a long term stay, now does it? Ahhhhhh, and who can't enjoy donning boots or rubbers or some other such maximum gay thing to save your shoes? And who can't remember spending half a day in wet socks that have the familiar smell of "wet dog"? Ahhhhhh, can who can forget the ka thunk ka thunk ka thunk while rooooollllling down I-77 in January......hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......throw in molar jarring chuckholes/potholes and you can easily forget the summer's eve of gentle and humane weather.....yeouchhhhhhhh....

The heat? Check it out my friend, the humidity here is 1 point off of Akron's. Check it out on google......check Atlanta/North Georgia and you will see the difference. While it is true, the evenings are cooler up there during July/August, that is but a fleeting moment....and then the rains every 3rd day or so........we get into the low 90's in August but, the last time I checked, it's not impossible for Akron, and pretty much everywhere else save except Minnesoooooota......to reach the same???

It does come down to those coooool evenings and the fun things to do around Akron during those times. Those days are glorious....just too few of them.
Whatever "good weather" and believe me I do remember, is lauded on Akron is more than offset by the 7 or even 8 months of bad........It's just not right and it's no one's fault.....it is......what it is........

Just remember, when it starts getting chilly in October, we will be wearing T-Shirts and Shorts into early November......and even get a 60/70 degree day in January all while NEVER having to unearth a car under 3 feet of snow, allow 5 minutes to warm up, or so much as own an ice scrapper....even Wal-Mart doesn't have them and they have all sorts of junk like this....just like Gold Circle used to....heh heh heh.....

And when it hits 15 for a low on the LAST day of March, keep in mind we are probably donning t-shirts, again, for the day.....there's just noooooooooo defense.......

In the words of the World's Most Interesting Man aka that **** water from Mexico, "stay thirsty my friends" or better yet, "stay warm my friends".....

Old 04-10-2011, 03:57 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Caleb, it seems like most of your bad weather complaints revolve around the car. Maybe Youngstown has a better mass-transit system than Akron, but I haven't had to start, scrape, or dig out a car since I moved away from home 11 years ago.

And, I had this to say about weather, in another thread:
Quote:
Can you show me a place in the US that doesn't have 2 months of "bad" weather to someone?

In Ohio, those 2 months are from about the middle of January (when the novelty of winter starts to wear off) to the middle of March. (that's when we usually start getting the first sweet tastes of spring) As far as I'm concerned, the other 10 months are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton