Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM

9 posts, read 34,847 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Uniontown, OH my whole life. Uniontown is about 20 minutes from Canton. There are some nice areas around Canton in Plain Township, the taxes are not too high and you are close to Canton and the Belden Village area (shopping and restaurants). North Canton, Perry, Jackson, Hartville and Uniotown are close to Canton and have good schools. Uniontown has a christian school called Lake Center Christian that is a very good school. It is small and has been around for a long time, I have never heard anything bad about this school. There is also another christian school, Heritage Christian in Green/Akron. This is a little further away from Canton, but also another good school. I would not recommend living in or close by to downtown Canton, it is a little scary, but they are trying to cleanup and revive the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 PM

88 posts, read 372,007 times
So Cal...and you want to move back to Canton? Perhaps the current RECESSION might have you re-thinking the move? I can't think of a positive thing to say about Canton, in general. Not exactly a hotbed of religious upbringing either. My "roots" are DEEP in Canton history...My Great Uncle married a Timken in the 40's. Two family members were mayor/council for a combined total of 18 years. Family members owned-operated Funeral Parlors and Manufacturing plants as well.
I have many fond memories of Ohio...all faded through the succession of a "brain-drain" in the 70's followed by a manufacturing base failure. I believe it is possible this economic downturn will only exacerbate Ohios lost fortunes.
I had an old friend in Canton...In his yard facing U.S. 30 he erected a huge sign that said. "BLOOM WHERE YOU'RE PLANTED" He's "planted" now...much like Ohio's future.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,018 times
Canton sucks! I only been here for one month and I can't find no job at all and far as gangs these are just some young cats trying to make a name for themselves. I heard of one called the shore block boys whaaaat! Man i'm from Indianapolis and I lived in Saint Louis for a while too. They have real gangs bloods,crips,vice lords,gangter deciples ect. Gangs lead to two places the prisons or the grave. I only moved here because my fiance is from here she got home sick go figure. So I moved her back to make her happy. Other than the nfl hall of fame and being an hour from cleveland CANTON SUCKS. I rather live in Cinncinati I love the natti or Columbus they have JOBS! I know I checked for myself.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM

15 posts, read 35,205 times
I do not live in Canton but do work there. I live about 45 minutes south, but have been familiar with Canton all my life. From what I can tell, Canton has gone steadily downhill. What was once a safe community has now turned into an area that is no longer that safe.

Jobs are few and far between and even those who are educated with Bachelors and Masters degrees have difficulty finding work.

I believe that the people in Canton are generally friendly. That being said, It can be difficult to make new friends because most people are born and raise in Canton and tend to stay to "their own".

As far as decent areas to live I would look into North Canton and Jackson.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoRN View Post
My husband is from Canton and really wants to move back. I have lived in Southern Calif. all of my life. What can you tell me about this city? I have only been there once about 9 years ago. I am ready for a change but not sure that is where I want to be. We are in our 50's and will be retireing shortly. We do however have a fairly young child (6) and want to know about Christian private schools in that area. We also would like to open a photography studio (we would not be dependent on a certain income from this venture, it is something we just love). Are there areas on the outskirts that have less crime? Thanks for any input.
dont do it.. canton has slowly became the place to stay away from.. the city is loud and everybody knows each other, a lot of people are loosing their lives and alot of people are goin to jail.. look it up were right below cinncinatti on the most dangerous cities in the U.S. list

Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
So this thread has essentially become a place for people to pop in every few months and rag on Canton.

I feel bad for Canton. It didn't go through quite the same abrupt fall that places like Stuebenville, Youngstown, and Pittsburgh experienced, but it sure is hurting right now. Unlike the other large cities in Northeast Ohio, there isn't really any universities or large employers bringing in more young people.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 AM

72 posts, read 287,493 times
Ugh, I really dislike this thread. As a proud resident of Canton it bothers me to read such polarized hatred toward the city. As a long time resident of the city and also someone who grew up in Perry Township, I feel like I have a more balanced and realistic view.

The ugly truth:
Canton is a typical product of the rust belt. There are a number of struggling families and individuals, for any number of reasons. We continue to face a lot of problems, be they economic, criminal, political or social. Unfortunately, there are many depressed neighborhoods, especially bordering the areas of downtown Canton. Canton has fairly typical city problems. Many cities large and small share these same ailments at varying degrees.

The other side of the coin:
It's not all bad. There is no doubt that Downtown Canton is more attractive than it was two decades ago. I would also wager that it's no less safe than it has been in my 30 years of life. According to FBI crime statistics, violent crime in Canton has greatly declined from the 1990's. (link: FBI — Crime Statistics). Canton has more than a few nice, working class neighborhoods, even in the NE end. Harter Heights, Colonial Heights, Market Heights are a few of the attractive, well kept neighborhoods. Ridgewood is very nice, but it is clearly not affordable for most. Colonial heights borders ridgewood, on the northeast corner of the city.

As an adult, I moved from Perry township (which I like very much) back into the city. I've lived on the North East end for 10 years. I've moved three times and I have learned some lessons each time. Our new home is in the North East and I find the homes and neighborhood very similar to Perry township (but lacking the great schools).

I won't try to hide what is wrong with the city. However, I cannot stand it when someone feels the need to completely dump on it this way. There are two faces, and you cannot ignore whichever one least suits your argument.

On the personal side: We all share space and time around one another. In a way, we each control and effect one another's happiness. Most of all, our happiness lies in our own hands. A little courtesy towards one another is one giant step in the right direction. So go out and be those virtues that you wish to see in your community, wherever that may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton